How many of you gave up a college scholarship?

by codeblue 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Codeblue,

You might want to check out the University of Phoenix Online. My daughter turned down scholarships in 1989 to appear "more spiritual" and I am sorry to say that I felt good about it at the time. She is now 33 and the UOP is excellent for getting a degree. They even find you grants and provide student loans.

Good Luck,

HappyDad (Bill)

• Mulan
    Mulan

I know Steve Egner had one, and took it. Maybe he will see this thread and tell about it.

• Atilla
    Atilla

Actally, it was because of the WT that I've gotten scholarships and grants. In a twisted ironic fate, delaying school has given me a free ride. Since I'm now married with a child I'm considered an independent student. I filled out my FAFSA 2 years ago and I've been going to school for free ever since. Now, I'm almost 25 and I have about 2.5 years to go but just because tuition is free does not justify the fact that I did put off going to college when I was younger.

I would rather be $40K in debt and have my good job now than struggling full time to support my family and going to college at the same time. Plus, I missed the whole living on campus wild party scene, bums me out.

• Celtic
    Celtic

I so wished in life that I had the opportunity of further education like many others no doubt here. This 'legal right of mine being taken away from me is most definately STILL impacting on my life today, I feel deceived, and unable now to reach the expectations of what might have been mine, for this reason alone I am very very very highly annoyed with the WT.

Although having by many accounts an extremely good mind on my shoulders, I was forced like many others to take on subservient roles the thinking being that if I were to partake in further studies, this was drawing attention to myself and not serving the borganisation to the full.

My nan, (Grandmother) mother of my father died whilst I was in my final year of exams at school. For this reason I left school with absolutely no qualifications at all, much to my financial distress to this day and fulfillment of my personal dreams. To this day I have not one paper qualification to my name having pretty much always been self employed in much lower paid industries.

I did apply to college 2 years ago or so to study 3 courses concurrently. Garden Design, Permaculture and Environmental Conservation. Alas, after only 2 months on the courses, my funding failed to materialise and as a result of this, I was forced off the course as I could not afford it personally from my own finances back then. This double whammy has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

These days, considering that a university degree will set you back after 3 years to the tune of somewhere in the region of £22,000 I am loathe to fully taking this course of action on, since I always like to keep ahead of any debts whatsoever and pay, if I need anything, cash outright for anything I need.

Though to be honest, the risk is probaly still worth it. I think if I were to apply again, I would go for Business Studies or some form of Entrepreneurship degree as offered by Professor Roger Mumby Croft on his course at Oxfords Brookes University where some time ago I was offered a placement.

I don't know what to do and need soon to talk to someone about all of this.

Celtic of the wanting to get it going, moving along class.

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

Hi Celtic

Have you thought about studying via the open university? You could work and combine your studies. Also, a lot of universities now offer a lot of part -time courses especially in the business and management field.

The days of the traditional student are now gone. Now the case is a lot of HE institutions have had to become much more flexible to accomodate non traditional learners - i.e those over 21 who can't attend full time on a day basis.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, concerns and I will do my best to help.

Final point - a lot of the most wealthiest and successful people in the world have never set foot in a university! Bits of paper aren't the be all and end all.

All the best

FF

• Soledad
    Soledad
    Being raised a JW meant of course we were never allowed to have any worldly career ambitions in the first place. So I can honestly say I never gave up a college scholarship because I was never encouraged to seek them out to begin with.

very well put. exact same situation here. I had the grades but not the ambition.

• JW83
    JW83

I just had to post on a topic so dear to my own heart! Life is short - if you want to go to university & it is at all possible, go!! Short-term financial stresses don't matter in the long-term, if it is something you really want to do & it will help make life more interesting & fulfilling. Don't give up on your dreams! I worked at admin jobs for 5 years & endured a horrible year 'studying' office administration because I was supposed to want to pioneer. I never really did pioneer (I was a regular auxiliary when I left), then went straight to uni, where I still am & which I love. Granted, it's not easy. I now have a husband & toddler to be responsible for, but I've learnt never to give up on my dreams. I'm not a natural optimist but doing it the dub way taught me to live for myself as much as possible now!

Also - isn't it hypocritical how rising bethel stars get to study law when ordinary jws are denied any uni aspirations ...

... the world needs more window cleaners ...

• Nessy
    Nessy

I had the opportunity to go to college on a scholarship and I'm glad I took it! I even went away to school, lived on campus and went to a 4-year university. My home congregation made arrangements with the congregation near my school. I had the friends come by and pick me up at my dorm for meetings and field service. I did it the first two years of college until I got my own car. Personally, I think that education is invaluable and should be accessible to all. I didn't attempt to be "spirtitual". I wanted to be "realistic" about how I'd support myself and make a living.

• KIANAMARIE
    KIANAMARIE

I THINK IT IS UR OWN DECISION.. THEY SAY U SHOULD BE SPIRITUAL BUT THEY DO EMPHAZIE THAT LIKE THE BIBLE SAYS " A MAN NEEDS TO PROVIDE FOR HIS FAMILY" SO IF U NEED A CAREER U SHOULD GO GET IT. JUST KEEP IN MIND THAT U NEED TO LEARN HOW TO BALANCE URSELF NOW AND NOT LET UR WORLD REVOLVE AROUND UR CAREER ALONE!!

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

I never had the grades to get a college scholarship. However I was invited to go to New Mexico St. University to study dramatic arts. The offer was made by the Dept. chair (Mark Medoff writer of Children of a Lesser God), and the co-chair. When I explained the position of the JWs regarding college education, and that I could expect no help from my parents, they were shocked. They then wrote me a letter stating that between the two of them they would help me out with "whatever I needed" to further my education. I was leaning towards going, and voiced this to my parents. My dad said that if I went ahead with this that he would be forced to step down as an elder. Nice choice. Get an education and be resopnsible for your dad stepping down from his post, or remaining in this limbo of knowing you have a talent, but not being able to develop it. I choose the former.

If it was trade school, he had no problem. The only issue was that the only thing was that I had no interest in learning air conditioning or car repair. This particular trade school did offer Computer Aided Drafting instruction, however I could see that that had no future. If an engineering or an achitectual firm had CAD available to them, why would they keep draftsmen on when an architect or engineer could do the drawings with computer assistance? Granted that wouldn't happen for about ten years, but I knew that occupation was a dead end.

I regret not being strong enough to tell me dad that if he stepped down that was his decision, but I should have taken advantage of this opportunity. Last year, during a phone call with my dad, I asked if he remembered this. He said yes, and asked me if I was happy becasue of it. I bit my tongue and told him, if I knew then what I know now, I would have taken the opportunity, and him forfieting his position well that would be too bad. He said to me, "That's your problem. You're so self-centered. You never think of anyone, but you." To which I replied, "Dad, I love you very much, but let's get one thing straight. The goal of most parents to make sure that their children have a better life than what they had. You offered me a future of living on a paradise earth. However, you did not plan on that future being delayed so long. Let me ask you something, what was more impoortant to you, your position or the future of your son, and your grandchildren that you claim to love? How can you call me selfish, when the only thing you ever cared about was being an elder and not a dad?" He was quiet for about 30 to 45 seconds. I purposefully didn't say a word. He respond, "I guess you have a point." I said, "Great, that's progress."

The whole point of this ramble, is that my dad, now in his 70s is realizing that he had made so many mistakes, and that it was he who was selfish. Holding his position over his family. Maybe their is hope for him after all.

LABD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit