How many of you gave up a college scholarship?

by codeblue 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Not me. I saw it as my ticket to a better life, and I used every dime of that scholarship, plus grants, student loans, work-study ... I wanted out.

• codeblue
    codeblue

Keeping the "sheep" uneducated by discouraging higher education and only reading WTBS material is part of the mind control.

• Makena1
    Makena1

Raises hand - yep. Had nearly a 4.0 GPA, and counselor told me that $$$$ was available for scholarships. However, that was 1973 - I was a regular pioneer, and the big A was right around the corner. Besides - what did I need college for - I was washing windows, cleaning carpets and toilets and making $15 an hour when I was working. Who needs college when you have all that going for ya???

Thank goodness when I got engaged, a fellow JW janitor suggested I get a real job with benefits and a future.

So, went to work for Diner's Club as a service rep, got promoted into sales - my manager remarked - "Son, if you can sell religion from door to door, I am sure you can sell for us!"

Later, thankfully I found other companies that at the time did NOT require a college degree to be handle business develop and marketing. Hung up my mop and bucket for good. LOL

. These days, its a different world, and college is a must IMHO.

• JT
    JT

yep- would have graduated from Univ of NC the same year as Michal Jordan-

might not be as rich as he is but life would have been much better as an Electrical Engineer- heading into the dot com ERA- INSTEAD of making worthless books at bethel

• ozzie
    ozzie

More than can ever be known . Most JW's do not encourage college (which encouragement should begin at a young age) let alone understand the logistics of ataining a scholarship - even when it hits them on the head. "In the land of the blind - the one eyed man is king!"

Oz

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

I had an aversion to partying which made JWs seem right to me... and college as presented on TV and Movies seem very wrong, so I went to a trade school instead...and I did not graduate there, partly because I was not motivated enough to work and go to school with JWs telling me that a higher ed was a waste of time anyway....so I gave into my natural laziness and let school slide away....

• JeffT
    JeffT

I became a dub the year I got my BA (1973). I didn't have a scholarship but my parents would have paid for Grad School, I had been accepted into the MA program in the College of Education. Nine years later I went back to school so that I'd be able to do something that paid money. My family helped with that tool. My situation worked out OK in the end, but how many witness kids have missed life entirely because the Big A was due any day now?

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

A+ I was a gifted student who got a medical exemption from school @ age 14 1973 because I was to sick to sit in a classroom.I was counseled to just sit tight,cause the 'new system' was going to deliver me in two years 1975. So,I was robbed of an education and have no formal educ.beyond 7th grade.This default is 100% because of the WT$ false end of the world prediction. No matter,I am a self-taught idiot savant who has no credentials to lose.I made a living as a union concrete form carpenter on heavy construction. I'm still a smart guy and and use my gift to take down the corrupt WT$.

• noun: person who is mentally retarded in general but who displays remarkable aptitude in some limited field (usually involving memory)
  • Quick definitions (idiot savant)

[ edited;this is my coming out post,it's nice to have no secrets( your as sick as your secrets) if anyone gives me a hard time HEY I only gotta 7th grade education.

• HeyNow!
    HeyNow!

College was never even mentioned in our home. I always had A's and B's in school. In high school, I went to a Vo-tech where all the JW's, stoners and losers went. Figure none of us were preparing for college. I hear that very few witnutses still go there, since college is now "new light".. Don't worry I turned out very materialistic anyway..lol

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Being raised a JW meant of course we were never allowed to have any worldly career ambitions in the first place. So I can honestly say I never gave up a college scholarship because I was never encouraged to seek them out to begin with.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit