How many of you gave up a college scholarship?

by codeblue 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

This reminds me so much of my own experiences as a young teenager. Aspirations to go to university or get a well paid job were really frowned upon. After all, time not spent pioneering is wasted time, eh folks?

This did not sit well with me at all - I wanted to go to university and have a career. I was really angry that this imminent Armageddon was going to happen and screw up all my plans! I remember one of the elders in the my hall had a daughter who defied her father and went to university instead of the blessed pioneer route. As a young teenager I was struck by her determination to stand up for herself and go her own way. Naturally she was shunned by her father. However, by this time this had only confirmed to me that the rot had set in to my JW faith a long time ago and gave me the push I needed to get the hell out!

I went to university and got myself a satisfying and professional job - thank goodness I was able to cram all this in before the Big A!

• SadElder
    SadElder

No way Jose. My wife and I are both grads of great universities. We took quite a bit of heat for it as young collegians but they sure did take our checks over the years after that. Our boys and daughter are both graduates. The twins following in the medical profession.

Thankfully we didn't become dumbed down as dubs.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I worked at a bank when I was in HS and they offered me a scholarship to the University of Washington. My Dad was thrilled, but I wasn't interested. I wanted to get married and have babies, and I did.

It wasn't a "spiritual" decision.

• roybatty
    roybatty

My ex was in the "Who's Who" two years in a row and graduated in the top 3% in the nation. Got offered full paid scholarship to DePaul University. Declined it to pioneer. Gag! She now even says it was stupid.

• codeblue
    codeblue

Welcome Freedom Fighter

I must say that I didn't seek out my scholarship........it was automatically given to the person who had the highest grade point average in the graduating class. I had one set of parents glari at me during and after the graduation...since I turned it down I made them mad cause it couldn't be given to anyone else. (they were jealous, their daughter was #3 in the class and didn't get one)

I also had to turn down a music scholarship the year when I got baptized....(that hurt...I loved music!)

Codeblue

• Carmel
    Carmel

Not me! I took it and ran...literally! It was a basketball schoolarship.....isn't that an oxymoron? what the hell does bouncing a ball and putting though a cylinder ten feet above the ground have to do with scholarship??? Who cared, it got me what I wanted and needed.....

carm

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Gave up on one at an $11K/year private college for only $858/semester.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

I didn't give it up.
    I took it and ran...
    away....
    from the JWs.

Country

• gespro
    gespro

WOW you guys have some incredible stories from one extreme to the other!

Thinking back about this subject, I start getting depressed/sad a little but I was a scared teenager.

I guess you can say I was of prodigious talent when it came to my concept of music. I had already studied music theory and had already taken music college courses by the time I was 15. I was bored in regular class and had no other interest except music. But I worked hard at that.

My Dub mother was a schoolteacher so, alot of my skills were built in from being around it [to a certain degree...yeah, I know I'm lacking] She even offered to send me to a couple of different schools including Julliard but I thought it was her way of testing me in Dubdom. I think I was pretty much convinced that it would all soon be over. In 1977, things pretty much stayed the same, didn't it?

I left home for good at 17, quit High school for the second time and hung out at the classrooms with my buddies who were all a year or two older than me, playing music. I got discovered by a soon to be doctoral candidate [in education AND a very fine pianist] who was on the administration of U Mass at Amherst and offered me a teaching job with a full scholarship!

Well, my wife was pregnant and I was going back to the hall and I was concerned about the Rh factor with the new arrival so, I opted to stay in the city next to an adequate hospitol and thought I should be scrubbing floors...oh well. If I could kick myself, I would...and I have.

I won another scholarship about 15 years ago in a performance competition but it didn't matter to me any more for a lot of different reasons...I realize now that I still would have benefited from it. Old habits die hard.

I did however achieve [as fleeting as it was] what I set out to do which was to have a major record deal and to play Carnegie Hall before I was 30...on MY terms. And I did it the hard way...It didn't have to be that way...

gespro - this week, slightly traumatized

• onacruse
    onacruse

Had a free ride to Reed College...chose Bethel instead.

Dumb-end of a dumb ass.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit