How many of you gave up a college scholarship?

by codeblue 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• codeblue
    codeblue

How many of you gave up a college scholarship to appear "spiritual"?

Jt's thread about "homegrown lawyers" and the WTBS willingly sending certain ones to college started me thinking about that question.

I know I for one, relinquished that scholarship to show how "spiritual" I was at 18.

How many of you did the same thing???

CodeBlue

• blondie
    blondie

I was a very good student and could have qualified but did not pursue any. I still received several cash awards which came in handy to pay for the day to day expenses in my family. I got a well-paying full-time job immediately after leaving HS with the skills/knowledge I already had because I had taken classes with a view getting a job that could support my family. My parents divorced just as I graduated and I paid the bilils for at least 2 years until my mother was able to get training and get a good job. So it wasn't "the truth" that held me back but the fact that my parents were unwilling (my father) and unable (my mother) to put me through school. Later, I put myself through school using scholarship money for returning students/women.

I suggest you check with your local university or vocational school and find out what you qualify for. It is not just the young whippersnappers that qualify for scholarships.

Blondie

• jaredg
    jaredg

i went to college and my parents encouraged me to. my sister and brother-in-law went to college too. we were all raised in the "truth".

• codeblue
    codeblue

That's great for you jaredg....but I graduated from high school in 1975..........college was taboo if you wanted to be considered "spiritual".

No parents or the WTBS encouraged college............you were instead encouraged to drop out of school and pioneer.

Blondie: Thanks for you advise!!!

CodeBlue

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

too many good times and drinkin.........

...oh you mean becuase of the JW.....my bad....

• Jasmine
    Jasmine

I gave up a fully paid scholarship to the university of my choice... but I did so of my own accord. My parents let me make the decision myself. I reasoned that I could still get a good job without university and start my pioneering career right away. As crazy as that sounds now, I honestly wanted to take that road, and for a time, I was happy pioneering. Even now, I look back on that experience with fond memories. Today, I am just thankful that the good job did come through for me. However, I know that while I still have youth on my side, I will go back and apply for some further formalized education.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: How many of you gave up a college scholarship to appear "spiritual"?

I did. My high school counselor was so upset about it, I had to bring in my PO to explain why. "The end is so near....blah, blah, blah." That was in 1966.

Farkel

• franklin J
    franklin J

hey codeblue

it is never too late to pursue that education ( if you want it).

One of my surviving non JW aunts went back to school to study pharmocology at age 80. She graduated.You have to admire that kind of fortitude.

• codeblue
    codeblue

Franklin...wow....what an example...she was 80...she is kicking!!!

I know it is not too late....I am just in a dismal stage right now...and can't make a decision...maybe it's because when I wanted to go, being a lawyer or a pyschologist seemed attainable.

Our budget won't allow for either studies....

I am just feeling a bit "lost" right now....

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Hey Code....Franklin's right....it's never too late to go to school.

One of the things I'm most resentful of the WTS over is the whole 'college' thing. I never had a scholarship to give up, because I was never encouraged in that direction and so I took school very lightly. Had I applied myself with higher education in mind, things may have been very different. Now, I did end up going to college. I'm 35 and just recently finished my MBA. I was nearly 30 before I finished my undergrad degree and it was difficult every step of the way. Until recently, I lived in a college town and was so resentful at missing the chance to just go to school, w/o having to worry about working and supporting a family too. Too bad the WTS insists on keeping it's members uneducated so that it can more easily discourage critical thinking analysis.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit