Gleaning at Bethel

by Black Man 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Man
    Black Man

Want to see Bethelites act like greedy scavengers? Just check out the tail end of bethel family breakfast, lunch or dinners. For those not familar with this phenomenon, Gleaning was when Bethelites could basically bring their tupperware dishes down and store up on the leftover meals once the family was dismissed (usually by prayer, except for the Bethel Dinner). You'd have greedy-ass Bethelites storing up on food for the next week or two depending on the meal. During the tail end of the family prayer over breakfast or lunch, you could just look around and see family members with their tupperware bowls in hand just waiting for the magic words "amen" then utter carnage would ensue.

You had peeps stampeding over each other making their way to tables that may have had any leftovers. I rarely dug any of the meals at Bethel, but once I was eating a meal that I actually liked and as I'm pouring another glass of water into my cup, this sister comes over to my plate with her gleaning tupperware in hand and proceeds to begin shoveling my food into her "storehouse". I go "hey, I'm not done eating yet. She then begins to berate me for taking so long to finish my food and that if I don't move, I'll lose.

Married sisters were particularly territorial about Gleaning (gotta please the hubby). Some would actually argue over who got to an empty pot first at various tables. Others would store-up on eats and have room parties with the leftovers. Nice cheap way to have catered pre-cooked food.

Some of your more sheltered Bethelites were just flat-out embarassing. Some of you Bethelites thought Willy Walker was an embarassment to the Black race, try this one brother named Rodney Nelson. Rodney was your typical black Bethel lifer, the kind that would never amount to anything on the outside but had been there so long that he carved his niche in the house. Massive pot-belly, laughing all the time at shit that wasn't funny, wearing clothes that your grand-pops wouldn't even be caught dead in. Anyway my man decides to bring a hefty bag down to the table, a GOT-DAMN hefty bag. I guess he wanted to make sure he had enough eats to take him clear through the new system. A few of the brothers were just watching this fool and shaking their heads as he navigated his way from one table to the next filling the damn hefty bag. I heard some brothers later pulled him aside and counseled him on the need to be less conspicuous.

Gleaning gotta love it........

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Hey Black Man,

Do look at the negative things at Bethel. Have you ever mentioned that there are some cute black sisters there?

• bigboi
    bigboi

Black Man:

What's up! I can't believe this! Man does stuff like that really go on at the center of worship of the only true god on earth? I can't believe ppl would resort to that sort of foolishness or that it was even allowed! I'm glad i didn't succumb to the influence to get me to go to Bethel back in the day. I woulda ran like hell to get out of that place. No wonder some of the local brothers referred to life up there as institutionalized.

ONE....

Bigboi

"it ain't what ya do. it's how you do it" quote from the song "True Honeybunz" by Bahamadia

• Black Man
    Black Man

Wassup, man. Yeah, it was mos-def an institutionalized existence. The longer you were there the more weirder you got. Brothers who had been single for many years there were the most eccentric. I'd say that if you've been up there 10 years or more and don't have a mate you just a weird mofo. At least the married ones would have their wives to keep them somewhat balanced. But the single ones that had been up there for 10-15-20-25-30 years were just straight up bananas.

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Bigboi,

Do you know what's up? Firpos Carr!! Now let's talk about those pretty black sisters at Bethel.

• randawg
    randawg

yo black
    you got me laughin so hard i could hardly type go on preachin brotha

• metatron
    metatron

Amen! You preach it, Bro!
    I'm sitting here dyin' laughin' reading recollections
    from ex-Bethelites tellin' it like it is. You nailed
    the 'ten years and single at Bethel' syndrome. What a sad
    collection of nuts and fruitcakes. They end up with no
    job skills, no family, no kids, no pension, no nothing.

People who are shocked by coverups on child abuse and
    stuff never realize just how weird and loony the mindset
    at Bethel can get. It's a closed little world and the
    inmates typically don't realize how far they've drifted
    from reality.

metatron

• qwerty
    qwerty

Mmmmmmmmm.........

Want to see Bethelites act like greedy scavengers? Just check out the tail end of bethel family breakfast, lunch or dinners. For those not familar with this phenomenon, Gleaning was when Bethelites could basically bring their tupperware dishes down and store up on the leftover meals once the family was dismissed (usually by prayer, except for the Bethel Dinner). You'd have greedy-ass Bethelites storing up on food for the next week or two depending on the meal. During the tail end of the family prayer over breakfast or lunch, you could just look around and see family members with their tupperware bowls in hand just waiting for the magic words "amen" then utter carnage would ensue.

Been to every meal at Bethel,

Sorry to put a downer on this but, to be truthfull, I never saw anything like that after a meal.

qwerty

• randawg
    randawg

come qwerty, im sure you got some good dish lets hear it

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

**Been to every meal at Bethel, Sorry to put a downer on this but, to be truthfull, I never saw anything like that after a meal. **

C'mon Qwerty - that's bloody impossible, unless you never stuck around after a meal.

--Michael

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit