Legal Eagles

by link 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• simplesally
    simplesally

They also hire outside firms for special cases.

I knew a brother who was a solicitor or barrister (I can't remember which) for London Bethel. Served on the HIS Department. I think his parents paid for his education......

• link
    link

Many thanks for all your responses. My problem was simply this; if people who are highly trained and qualified in searching out, investigating, and verifying facts can find no problem with believing "the truth" (TM) , why can?t I with my humble education?

WHERE AM I GOING WRONG?

link

• shotgun
    shotgun

Excellent comment XTP

There are people that believe in 1954 aliens crashed at Roswell. Some of these people are educated. Is it such a stretch to believe the Satan crashed to earth in 1914 a year coinciding with one of the largest blood baths in human history? No. This should scare any rational person. Because this means that in the mind any explainable thing can be believe if it is their will or reason to belief it. If every lawyer used their vocational skills on their religions they would all be atheist. Jokes aside. Religion works on blind faith in where you concede the need for evidence or reason and declare SOMETHING true by choice. THis is then used as a frame work for belief it whatever doctrine is being propagated.
  • XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

You dont suspend disbelief for "worship". The lawyers actively switch to a religious mode just for being a JW. They temporarely upload up every thing they need to believe in then they leave the hall and go back to their lives. JWs nurses and give blood transfusions and abortions. It is the same thing.

• link
    link

Perhaps my own comments on my own thread are a bit misleading. I wasn?t really questioning the ability of intelligent people to believe "the truth" because I know many myself. My question concerns those who have a special training and an ability to separate fact from fiction and who still believe in it.

To say that all these people simply switch off to reality when it suits them is difficult to believe. Or are they all somehow immune to cognitive dissonance because of their profession?

link

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny
    Haughty Hacks get the facts Of the over 2,000 scriptures I once memorized from the Bible, the following is my personal favorite and is profound indeed.Jesus legal advice to "settle out of court" Matthew 5:23-25 :: The Message (MSG)
    See this passage in NIV | NASB | MSG | AMP | NLT | KJV | NLV | ESV | CEV | NKJV | KJ21 | ASV | WE | YLT | DARBY | WYC | NIRV | NIV-UK |
    See this passage in Albanian | English | Français | Deutsch | Italiano | Latin | Norsk | Portugues | Español | Svenska | Tagalog | Arabic | Nederlands | Plautdietsch | Danish | Slovak | Polish | Russian | Romanian | Czech | Hungarian | Icelandic | Korean | Bulgarian | Chinese | Haitian | Maori | Ukrainian | Croatian | Greek | Swahili |

Matthew 5
    23 "This is how I want you to conduct yourself in these matters. If you enter your place of worship and, about to make an offering, you suddenly remember a grudge a friend has against you, 24 abandon your offering, leave immediately, go to this friend and make things right. Then and only then, come back and work things out with God.
    25 "Or say you're out on the street and an old enemy accosts you. Don't lose a minute. altMake the first move; make things right with him. After all, if you leave the first move to him, knowing his track record, you're likely to end up in court, maybe even jail. JC opening words in his masterful 'sermon on the mount' address.Watchtower 'legal dept' to you read your Bible? Undaunted Danny:WATCHTOWER BIBLE & TRACT SOCIETY WHISTLE BLOWER Court is in session:

Danny in front of
    Maine courthouse
    Sign of the times
    Courthouseup front!
  • A Paduan
    A Paduan
    Perhaps my own comments on my own thread are a bit misleading.

Yes, you're thinking of Judges (how many jw judges are there?)

My question concerns those who have a special training and an ability to separate fact from fiction

Lawyers focus on winning / representing their client / stand.

Judges and juries separate fact from fiction. Lawyers are practiced in coloring fact to appear as fiction, and adjusting fiction to appear as fact - very jw indeed.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I believe the term is "compartmentalization". The semiconscious choice to treat certain areas of life using different styles of decision making. I say semiconscious because when faced with the irrationality of the choices made they respond with fear or anger to prevent facing this in themselves.

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Thanks, Euph, for posting on this thread! Especially since you were my "source" I was referring to!

Also, a clarification! What I meant to say earlier is that it is easier to fight issues directly related to Constitutional issues such as Freedom of Religion than it is to defend some guy who robbed a convenience store. The Constitution is the cornerstone of our law - and therefore, any issue which specifically threatens it is easier to argue than something that has an element of "doubt". This does not make WT lawyers any better than any other lawyer - it just gives gives them more leverage when in trial. All they have to do is cite "Freedom of Religion" and the case is practically sealed. The ghetto kid who robbed the convenience store does not have that luxury - and neither does his lawyer!

BTW - here is the link of the WT financing an investment for a WT lawyer named James McCabe.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/61977/1.ashx

growedup

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I THINK THAT WE ARE MISSING WHAT I THINK IS IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND.

BEING A LAWYER OR MEDICAL DOCTOR IS ACHIEVED MAINLY BY TRAINING. EACH OF THESE PROFESSIONS ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AND THE TRAINING IS FOCUSED ON ACHIEVING THE CAPEABILITIES REQUIRED. THIS IS TRUE OF MANY PROFESSIONS, ELEC. ENGINEER, MECHANICAL ENGINEER, DENTIST, VETERINARIAN ETC.

(BY THE WAY, IT TAKES TWO MORE YEARS THAN AN MD TO BE A VET)

ANYWAY, NONE OF THE ABOVE IS AN EDUCATION. IT IS TRAINING. AN "EDUCATION" REQUIRES COURSES IN HISTORY, PHILOSOPHY, RELIGION, ETC. THIS WOULD BE REQUIRED ALONG WITH TRAINING FOR A PROFESSION, TO BE CONSIDERED "EDUCATION".

A PERSON TRAINED ONLY FOR AN ATTORNEYS JOB, HAS KNOWLEDGE ONLY IN THAT AREA. SO IN THIS RESPECT, THEY ARE NO MORE FITTED TO AVOID A CULT THAN THE REST OF US.

EVEN BEING EDUCATED IS NOT ALWAYS GOING TO KEEP US FROM FALLING INTO A CULT.

BEING VERY INTELLIGENT IS NOT ALWAYS GOING TO KEEP US OUT OF A CULT.

SOME VERY INTELLIGENT PEOPLE HAVE LITTLE OR NO COMMON SENSE.

THAT IS MY TWO CENTS ON THIS.

Outoftheorg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit