What makes marraiges last

by desib77 88 Replies latest jw friends

• desib77
    desib77

My husband and I have been married a little over a year now and it has been the happiest year of my life. I have finally found someone that I truly love and that truly loves me. He's also my best friend. We have a lot of fun together and always have something to talk about.

I guess what my question is, to all you who have successful marraiges, what makes a marraige last? I see so many people who after 20 years of marraige end up divorced. Why is it that this happens so much? Is it always a possibility or are there things that can be done to ensure a long lasting marraige?To those of you who regret the loss of your marraige what do you wish you had done differently?

Desi

• roybatty
    roybatty
    I guess what my question is, to all you who have successful marraiges, what makes a marraige last?

Getting out my pen and paper. I want to know.

One of the most beautiful things I enjoy seeing is an older couple who have been married for 40 or 50 years, walking and holding hands. Many times you can almost feel the love rubbing off on you.

• desib77
    desib77

One of the most beautiful things I enjoy seeing is an older couple who have been married for 40 or 50 years, walking and holding hands. Many times you can almost feel the love rubbing off on you.

I completely agree. I just want to know the secret. I know most people start out in love but what is the key to becoming that couple that has been married 40 or 50 years? I wonder if it has to do with the time period they got married in or if there really are little things that can be done to make a difference....

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Well, I'm not gonna be married for another 16 days, so maybe I'll tell you guys then.

However, I think it's gonna be better this time around. I've examined my previous relationship, and I've eliminated the mistakes that I made back then. I'm quite sure I'm off to a good start.

• blondie
    blondie

Love your neighbor as yourself...and who is your closest neighbor?

Similar goals, similar fun times, communication.

13 years and on to infiinity, well at least as long as possible.

Blondie

• talesin
    talesin

My parents are like that. Over 50 years of marriage, and they still tease each other, they have that spark and are very much in love. What has always impressed me is that they are a team, they turn to each other in hard times, instead of complaining to their friends, and ignoring the problems. There were hard times, but they both refused to look outside the marriage for solutions. Lots of work, but well worth it.

It's a tough ideal to live up to. I am determined not to settle for less. I guess that's why I am single. :D

talesin

• IronGland
    IronGland
    I guess what my question is, to all you who have successful marraiges, what makes a marraige last?

The wife sucking the last drop of life and individuality from her husband and replacing it with a pod person to do her bidding and then be cast aside when she inexplicably cannot determine where the exitement went.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Mutual respect/friendship/communication/sharing a strong homelife together--one that is pleasant and environmentally pleasing (like a haven)

Allowing each other to develop their own interests and then supporting each other in such. (Doesn't mean you have to participate with them all the time, but allow them to seek their own interests too)

My husband was a great example of this. He allowed me to have my own religion (JW) for several years and trusted that it was what I wanted and didn't interfere with my spirituality. Eventually I figured it out and escaped the Org and we still have a loving relationship despite my years of religious insanity. During that period of time I did not push my religion on him, but allowed him to develop interests that were important to him--some things that I don't participate in myself, but support him in his participation of such.

Be an interesting individual. In otherwords remain as individuals who enjoy each others company (things don't get boring that way because there is always something new to share.)

I see so many relationships become toxic over the years because people lose respect for each other after many years of feeding tto much negativity into their relationship. So I guess being loving, kind, understanding, supportive and positive towards each other is of utmost importance.

Well, that's my observations anyway, hope it helps--all the best to you and yours,

cybs

• shotgun
    shotgun

Unconditional love, unselfish love and constant love... a very good start anyway.

I think being open and trusting are on top of the list as well, if you and your hubby are best friends then you are certainly on the right path.

Stay on that path Desib...and what a lucky man you have!

• gumby
    gumby
    I have finally found someone that I truly love and that truly loves me. He's also my best friend

If a person has the above.........all other problems won't matter for the most part. There may be some hurt from "other" things......but you can deal with it if love is shown and accepted.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit