What is happening at QualComm Stadium (San Diego, CA) this weekend?

by Triple A 26 Replies latest jw friends

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Hey Triple A,

I appreciate what you are trying to do. Trying to reach JWs at assemblies is not very effective. JWs are conditioned to believe that everyone who is an opposer at an assembly is a wicked evil apostate of the worst kind. They will avoid you like the plague and look at you with absolute horror and distain. So, it is not a very effective method to open the way for conversation with any JWs. I wrote a topic on this one a while back and got many good responses and ideas that might help a person if they were going to attempt this sort of thing. Basically it seems best not to approach it from a religious standpoint, but to just simply expose the WT for what it is--in a question format. I personally thought the sunshade idea was very good--it's in this link

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/68587/1.ashx

good luck,

cybs

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Cyber-sista,

I would agree with the general statement that picketing a convention site may not be "very effective", if what you are looking for is instananeous deprogramings. I remember walking out of Dodger Stadium towards the bus stop at the bottom of Elysian Park Blvd., and looking at those signs. I saw one that had a phone number. I memorized it, and called it from work the next week. It began a process that took nearly five years to complete, but it started the ball rolling.

I don't think that most of us that have left the Borg, woke up one fine morning and decided to chuck it all. It was a process. A process that perhaps was started by something as small as a phone number, or a slogan on someone's sign.

The key thing to remember is yes these things can be effective, but the most effective way of getting people out of the Borg is to show them something they can't possibly have in the Borg. True and unconditional love. Love that says, "I'll be there for you, whether or not you come out of the Borg." That is how I maintain my circle of persons in the Borg. They know they can trust me, and that I am their friend even though they still choose to remain in the Borg becasue of the internal pressure.

LABD

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Sure hope you dont plan on standing outside teh convention with signs

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Not that I disagree with you Chevys, I am just wondering why it is you say that?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

The only way I could think of being effective at the convention is to get up on the stage and give a speech. But I'm sure the Attendants would quickly usher you off the stage.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

RT..... I've just always thought it was ridiculous to stand outside and protest. For me personally I didnt leave because of anything I read on one of the signs. And I dont know of anyone else who has said " I saw 'read the bible not the watchtower' on a sign outside a convention and it got me to thinking". They made me want to "stay close to Jehovah" even more, and afraid, because I thought they were crazy.

But to each their own. That's my own opinion

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

Where I live there are these Christian fundies that scream at the top of their lungs CULT, ABUSERS, JESUS SAVES. They take turns yelling this from a bull horn. It's really funny to watch but I consider it to be counter productive. Even normal (ie worldly) people think their crazy and feel sorry for the witnesses.

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Hmm, I remember as a child coming out of conventions at that very stadium (then known as Jack Murphy) and being scared to death of those people. I didn't see them very much at allthe last few years I went, but when I was a child they used to always be there en masse.

I agree with what you said, that it really does more to scare people further into the clutches of their religion. It sort of serves as an afirmation that what they (the witness) are doing is right because there are 'opposers'. Like I said, when I was a child I was always totally freaked out when we drove past them while exiting the parking lot, even getting nervous. But I would always steal a peek at what one of the signs said. It was the curious side of me. But it never had the desired effect of making me question. Even after I left, it took me two years to work up the ability to look up information about Jehovahs Witnesses on the internet.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I remember the signs and remember thinking that "I do read the bible not just the WT" and I did read the Bible but I also would take the WT interpretation of what the bible said or meant...... taking bible principles and then making them rules to follow. The bible is a book of principles to live by, not rules to follow or be shunned.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Yes, sometimes it is counterproductive and it is a reverse witness to people on the outside to see people "apostates" shouting abusively at witnesses going into the assembly--that is why I think the quiet sign holding would be the best route if you must. Nothing religious though, just simple statements as mentioned in the link

again:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/68587/1.ashx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit