New Member :)

by Oh Jebus, Save Me From Your Followers! 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Oh Jebus, Save Me From Your Followers!
    Oh Jebus, Save Me From Your Followers!

Hi Everyone,

Just a newbie here trying to aquaint myself. I can' t say how thrilled I was to find out that this site existed! It was actually shown to me by my sister - who by the way - with you're help- has seen the truth about the "truth" and is in the process of learning to live a normal life. I was "raised in the truth" and it has taken me a long time to de-program myself out of alot of their teachings and sometimes I find is still hard to do especially since my mother, her husband, and both of their immediate families are still jw's. Not to mention my bible thumpin' grandmother who literally has gone crazy with Jehovah's word. I constantly am being riddled with invites to the hall and told how great this week's watchtower is, along with members of my mothers cong. constantly stopping by because "they were in the neighborhood.". Anyhow, its nice to know that there are others out there who know how I feel and it just validates all of my thinking up to this point after reading all of the similar experiences you all have had. I would have loved to go to Apostafest, and would have if I had known about this site earlier - but I would still love to meet some of you in the DFW area and de-program together LOL As I said before, Im so glad this site is available and I hope to make many FRIENDS here - I dont need anymore brothers and sisters...I'm all stocked up here!

• happehanna
    happehanna

Welcome to a new FRIEND

I am glad your sister showed you this site, I just stumbled on it, but it is an amazing site and has helped many.

welcome again

• Maverick
    Maverick

Oh Jebus nice to meet you! Hope this place helps you as much as it has helped me! Maverick

• divamom
    divamom

Hi, OJ! Thought I'd just ride the coat-tails of your intro to post my own. Hope you don't mind!

Greetings, all - I'm DivaMom. My husband (of nearly 20 years) and I live in

• bebu
    bebu

Well, hello OJ and Divamom both! (Keep trying to post, diva.)

Why are all the ex-JWs all coming from Texas these days?? That apostafest musta got the state's attention.

bebu

from the Pacific NW... which has a high # of ex-JWs, too

• zugzwang
    zugzwang

Welcome newbies. I think I am still a newbie if I am not mistaken. Yes this site is great and it has helped many (including myself) to deal with life outside of the Borg. Congratulation on your deprogramming. Just remember, resistance is NOT futile.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

OJSMFYF

Lurvee your name!

Welcome to the forum!!!

Cassi

• divamom
    divamom

Hi, OJ! Thought I'd just ride the coat-tails of your intro to post my own. Hope you don't mind!

Greetings, all - I'm DivaMom. My husband (of nearly 20 years) and I live in Dallas with our son (10) and daughter (soon to turn 9). I was born a JW, left the Organization at age 17, and have struggled with spirituality and faith ever since. I've been voraciously reading your posts for the past week or so and find great comfort in seeing so many like souls on the board. Thanks a million to "Rabbit" for introducing me to this site - now if only he'd done it BEFORE the DFW Apostafest!#)%&!

The JW dysfunction in my family of origin was exacerbated by alcoholism (both parents), intense physical and verbal abuse (both parents on my bro and I), spousal abuse, depression (mom), adultery (dad), divorce, disfellowshipping (dad, of course), fornication (mom), and another disfellowshipping (mom, nach!). And through it all, I was the poster-child for JWs. Heck, forget the crap I went through at school - I was so devout, even the other Witness kids hated me. I finally decided to bail when I was invited to accompany a very popular, rich family (dad an elder, blah blah blah) to Assembly and endured a week of being teased and "ditched" by their beautiful, popular, well-dressed devil daughters. I was driven out of God's True Religion, not by doctrinal questions, a lack of faith, or my Toto finding the man behind the curtain - my heart was broken by the hypocrisy of this family and all the other families who "should" have embraced me, a lost "lamb" with disfellowshipped parents who REALLY wanted to be the best Witness she could.

I managed to get sober in AA 14 years ago without a higher power (atheist that I'd become), but having kids sent me church-shopping and now we're raising them Methodist. With the encouragement of my Sunday School class, I've developed a seminar on JW doctrine. I've also done a little coaching to individuals trying to deal with a JW in their life, and am writing a book about spiritual/faith recovery for adults raised in cults/oppressive religions.

I invite everyone to consider the "MeetUp" system for ex-JWs (http://exjw.meetup.com). Monthly meetings, by geography, are organized online; there's no charge to sign up and selfishly, since I missed Apostafest (LOVE that name!!), it would be another way for me to meet some of you!

Thanks for reading - I'm really jazzed to have found this community and I feel welcome already!

DivaMom

• zugzwang
    zugzwang

congrats diva on getting that thing to post.

• talesin
    talesin

OJ

Welcome! I have a lapel button that says that! hahahahaha Keep up the good work. Glad you found us.

diva

I was so devout, even the other Witness kids hated me.

LMAO! Me, too! And I left for exactly the same reason at 18. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Oh yeah, the Rabbit is a great guy. I couldn't agree more! I'm happy that he put you onto the forum.

talesin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit