Internet...the best revenge against the Watchtower

by DevonMcBride 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

The power of the Internet against the WTS is twofold:

First, it somewhat negates the power and effectiveness of disfellowshipping and shunning. Once, people were alone. Now, they are just click away from a world-wide community and they know that it wasn't just them that had a problem with what the WTS did.

Secondly, it gives everyone enormous publishing power. 10 years ago it was hard to compete with a multi-billion dollar publishing company for getting a message out. Now, anyone can setup a site and reach the world. Anyone can read things without fear of being found out.

I don't think the WTS will disappear anytime soon because there literally is one born every minute and for some people, it gives them what they want.

However, the internet does help those who want to leave and makes it easier. It simultaneously shines a bright light into the darkness of the society, uncovering the truth they have in their dark corners and it makes it harder for them to get away with the lies and mumbo-jumbo that they fill the WatchTower with as it's easier for people to verify things.

Another thing is that it allows unofficial communication channels to form. I know of quite a few who''d be classed as "loyal dubs" who find out what is happening from emails and the 'Net way before they get the official word from Bethel. How long before the HQ is seen as slow and having to catch-up with what is really going on?

• Englishman
    Englishman
    WHAT!!! Me at an apostate false God worshipping WT dishonouring, back slapping festival at that place?

No Way.

I'm a good boy.

So you've changed your mind eh, Scooby?

Talk about blow hot and cold..

OK, I'll take your name off the list.

Englishman.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

yes Dogpatch did an article a few years ago on the internet re WTBTS downfall - so true. There is nothing like freeflow of information - it is the best answer to control freaks like the WTBTS

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Scoob,

I have to repsectfully disagree with you on this one, if understnad the point correctly that you are making that is. As to how damaging the Internet has been to the Watchtower Society, I must say that it has a profound effect. I have read many testimonials as to people (JW's) discovering information about the WBTS (via the Internet) that provided them ability to see things clearly (as if for the first time) and then to subsequently leave the group. I believe the Internet may in fact be the singularly biggest device in freeing those shackled to the mighty WBTS today. Active JW's who may be questioning can gather all kinds of information about the WBTS without fear of reprisal. Many who come here (I believe) are such one's as these. Before the Internet, folks like this, simply weren't privy to this kind of valuable information.

Footnote:

Now, do I believe the Internet will actually 'bring down' the WBTS? No, I don't. But it has caused it to stumble and has cost it many "publishers". And no one can tell ultimately what ripple effect can come from it. Any kind of damage you can inflict on a cultic group like this, is a plus.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

about 5 yrs ago i was living with dad the jw. he started with his wt crap again with me . i was never really religious but heard it from him for 30 yrs. at the time i was reading new wt's that were talking about the 1919 and 1922 convention. and the live forever book. i asked to read some wt's from 1922 etc. dad couldn't get them there were other questions he couldn't answer. i was reading to him a wt article about how some lady left her job to become a pioneer. me being out of work at the time could not understand it. at this point we had a big arguement and i told him the wt is bullshi+ . he told me the wt had nothing to hide and do all the research i wanted . i went to the public library , and used the computer for the first time. just punched in jw's and my eyes were opened. at the library you got only one hour a day on the p.c. well within less than 10 hours on the p.c. i have my dad and some of his jw friends crying and screaming foul then he told me everything on the net was lies , even tho i printed out about a few hundred pages already then i started going to the hall and looking this stuff up. and sure enough it was all there, and used the k hall copy machine to baqck it up. anyway this went on for a few months and dad called the police on me about 20x to get me out of the house . because he was getting busted everyday. he could not accept the facts i ended up living in my car for 5 months found a job and saved up for an apt. and even today i still call my dad and press him. if i had a dollar for every lie he told me to defend the wt i would be a millionaire. bottom line is the net does hurt the wt, and now none of my nieces are allowed to study or go to the hall with my dad any longer. when the jw's in my area that know me see me they run, they know i'm going to make them look like spritual clowns all thanks to the internet. john

• new light
    new light
    I don't mean to be harsh, and I have alot of fondness for many here, but some others here seem to have grand delusions that somehow this site ranked at 333 or something on the Big Boards is somehow going to have an effect on the success of JWs and the WT. It doesn't . And it Won't.

Really? You've got to realize that this is not a board to end the war on Iraq or to globalize the economy. The "enemy" is a religious organization with only 6,000,000 members, most of whom are completely in the dark regarding any counterpoints to WT practice. They only have so much money.

I would say that most people, if they are HONEST with themselves, find the information exposing the WTS to be accurate, well-referenced, and extremely disturbing. If someone can learn of the wickedness that permeates the organization, and continue to worship whole-heartedly, they are only fooling themselves. I understand there are extenuating circumstances (family, etc.), but the truly open-minded person will at least realize there is a chance the JWs do not have the truth. This information is now easily accessible and can be viewed in privacy. You don't have to wait for a mailer or be confronted by an apostate at a convention anymore. There is no paper for anyone else to find.

The anonymity of internet reading, along with the sheer volume of information, makes it a most effective weapon. Knowledge is the first step in making change. Where else are you going to start? You're a good guy, Scoob, but please take your head out of your arse! Once the lawsuits start to pile up, it won't be long. We're not dealing with the Vatican, the Society's resources are pocket change compared to the RC Church's worth. And it seems that the abuse problem, per capita, is far more rampant than with that other church.

By the way, as an open-minded person, it only took a week for me to go from full activity to absolute zero, all thanks to the internet. Many sites, such as Freeminds provided the raw information, while places like this gave it all that personal touch. The information superhighway is a most effective weapon. If it wasn't, why would the WT publications contain so many warnings and scare-tactic stories?

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Scooby,

I never said that this one web site would knock the Watchtower down. I said this one in addition to the others are hurting them. Silentlambs has encouraged over 6000 abuse victims worldwide to speak out. There are ex-JW web sites in major languages so those living in Russia, Japan and other countries have access to them.

It seems obvious to me that more people leave the JW's because of the information they read on the net than join the JW's because of the net. The Society knows this too. The constant warnings against the internet at their meetings and in publications shows it.

Devon

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny
    The endless elusive quest for the perpetual motion machine. Yah'll step back from the forest and look at the trees.Rule # 1 Know your enemy Jehovah's Witnesses are a spin off of the William Miller movement of ca.1850'sh. Undaunted Danny calls em,"mutated millerites".The original apocalyptic Millerite movement had up to 500,000 followers,back when the world's population was much less.Then came what secular historians call, "the great disappointment".Sound familiar? Like a cancer,the original millerite movement continues to mutate and metastasize.Remember your basic biology,cancer cells are immortal.Cancers cells don't die until they are eradicated by very aggressive chemotherapy [counter-cult websites]. OR! until their host victim succumbs to the terminal cancer and dies.[ all loyal Jehovah's Witnesses who grow old and die] We are no more capable of stamping out the WT$ apocalyptic infatuation as a dedicated Medical Doctor is of killing 100% of the cancers. Cults will always be with us.Cults have existed since the dawn of man.It's a mostly free world,freedom to go follow daffy duck or the WT$. Like the quest for the perpetual motion machine which violates the laws of thermodynamics and is unattainable.Eternal life through Watchtower works is impossible.ALL Jehovah's Witnesses WILL grow old and die! Contemplate your rotting flesh to come.....

"MUTATED MILLERITES"

Jehovah's Witnesses ARE a spin off of the 2nd adventist,[ seventh day adventist]

"Mutated Millerites" an inferior sequel at that.

Hear Roger Mudd of the History channel say so:

Cult-Related Videos

Video excerpts from History Channel presentation on apocalyptic groups

HOSTED BY DANNYHASZARD.COM

modem (low bandwidth) version

DSl/Cable (high bandwidth) version

{Notice: All Jehovah's Witnesses who have died are all still dead!
  • Big Tex
    Big Tex
    You have slightly twisted the point of the thread here. Although what you say is true in your case with Nina, as I'm sure it can be echoed from many others here on JWD, it isn't the point I was making. And I think you know it.

Well actually no I don't know it. I was responding to something very specific that you said, I even quoted it. How am I 'twisting' the point of this thread? Here is Devon's first post on this thread:

For over 100 years the Watchtower was used to getting their way. They had complete control over their faithful members and those who left had no voice to speak out. The law was on their side protecting their teachings. The Society rarely lost a lawsuit against them.

On the Watchtower Observer web site, Kent Steinhaug reposted the letter from the Watchtower trying to close up his web site, in which they failed to do. Yay!!!

This message board and so many other ex-JW boards have been growing by leaps and bounds.

Silentlambs has made a big splash and encouraged those who were wronged by the Society's child abuse policy to come forward, speak out, and sue them.

The Watchtower is no longer getting their way. Apostates and opposers are seeing to it by keeping these web sites alive and running at full speed. By reading their latest publications, press releases and BOE letters, they are carrying on like a spoiled child not getting his way.

For all of those here hoping to have revenge on the Society: You are taking revenge on them by posting here and other sites. Keep up the good work.

Devon

How is relating an experience I saw up close 'twisting' what Devon had to say? As I read this, Devon is speaking about the power of the Internet, specifically the power of Kent's site, this site and others. Nina was one who was affected.

You did give the little get out clause at the end about "cults" and such like talk. But you skewered the discussion to fit your own agenda. I'll indulge you in that though.

I must be dense because I honestly do not have a clue what you are saying here. "Get out clause"? Please tell me what my agenda is? I was relating an experience as well as offering my own poor opinion. Thank you for indulging me though.

Now indulge me in mine

Okay.

It is only your hypothesis that JWs are "approaching a crossroads" and all that you said in the following paragraph. It could be said that it is just "delusional thinking" on the part of people such as yourself that are so anti-JW. Much the same that my thoughts could be called the same.

Well, of course Scott. It is my opinion. I do not know of anyone who can offer proof what will or will not happen in the future. If you can, please do so.

My point, poorly expressed, was that pending litigation, not the Internet, will be the force that brings change to the Society. But even that will not 'bring it down'. As others have said on this thread, there is a sucker born every minute and so there will always be new fodder for Jehovah's Witnesses to use and take advantage.

However, that is my opinion. 20 years ago, I would have never guessed I would be in the situation I'm in now, nor would I have believed the Society would be teaching such nonsensical and evil doctrines. At that time I was not aware of how cruel they are. 20 years from now? I don't know. I would imagine I'll be surprised at what happens, perhaps you are correct. Perhaps not. The only way to find out is to get there, eh?

I still stand by my point. You and Simon can continue to post how BIG jwd has become, but it does not signal the end of the WT as you might hope, neither does speculating as many do here, and neither does ridicule.

Well you know how much I had to pay Simon to post that thread. All that bullshit is so much nonsense.

I started that thread because I was proud of the job Simon has done, through a helluva lot of adversity. I was also proud of the Little Website That Could, Lambs Roar, being the second most visited site. That site too has had to deal with a lot of unjustified criticism. In both cases, the adversity and criticism are understandable coming from WTS and folks that apologize for them, but it still astounds me at the intense rage some ex-JWs still vent toward this site. But I digress.

Signal the end of the WT? Well of course not. Scott, put down the ouzo for a moment. I said

Will it 'bring down' the WTS? Probably not

I, and others, have said there will probably always be Jehovah's Witnesses. I cannot put it any more clearly than that. Has the Internet, and sites like this one, had an effect? Yes, and I related one to you. I have personal knowledge of two active Witnesses and one inactive who lurk on this site. If that's true, it is reasonable to believe there are others around the U.S., and the world I guess, who also lurk here. And if they lurk here, is it not reasonable to believe they lurk on Kent's board, or Randy's site? I know for a fact that Lambs Roar generates tremendous traffic but very few posts. That means a lot of people come to Lambs Roar just to read.

As for what I hope, candidly I'm reaching a point where I don't give a tinkers dam about WTS and what they do. I never read any doctrinal thread here or elsewhere, I rarely read any thread related to what's going on at conventions or what the latest idiotic statement they've made in the Watchtower. I'm more interested in people, specifically people who have been hurt by this bizarre little sect/cult. Scott if you want to pretend that WTS' policies don't hurt people, fine. Live in your dream world. The reality is thousands of people have been hurt, and still being hurt. Not because of 'imperfect people' but because of evil teachings like the 2 witness rule, or the rape rule, or submissive women can't divorce the man who is beating the shit of them.

Scott you are quite right that speculating, opining and posting on an internet discussion board will not 'signal the end of the WT'. I would have thought that obvious, but thank you for pointing it out.

At the end of the day, there will be "odd little groups" as you say, much like JWD. A forum with some good people in it, just like the JWs with some good people in it too

When I was a Witness, I was considered weird and odd (if I were rich I could have been eccentric), so if I'm still weird and part of an odd little group here on the Internet, so be it. I'm proud to call these people my friends. I'm not ashamed of anything I've said or done (well except for my little meltdown a couple of months ago) here. I don't live a double life, in fact I've got 2 "Apostafest" stickers made by my good friend Eddie and they are displayed on my refrigerator. If the JWs I still know don't like it, they know where the door is.

My point is that this Forum tends to think its much more than it really is sometimes. And I mean no disrespect.

No offense taken here. Although I do think you are reading WAY too much into what is said here. I did not say, nor have I heard anyone else say that JWD, this site will bring down Jehovah's Witnesses. However, this site, and others, have had an impact. If you say otherwise, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    JWs knock at many doors, thats not one way traffic

Sorry Scooby,

Knocking on doors is also one way traffic. They do not come to listen but only to push their own agenda. You will never have a frank,free and open religious discussion with ANY dub at the door.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit