Internet...the best revenge against the Watchtower

by DevonMcBride 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ok, back on track. There have been many who have stated on this board how the www helped them to free themselves from the wt web. It's unquestionable, really. It was a short few weeks from the time that the un-wt connection was aired here before the wt withdrew from un membership. This board, as well as all the other wt info sites is impacting the wt, and it knows it.

SS

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

I know this though........... I'm not that delusional to imagine that either JWD/Internet will bring down the WT or that whatever I say on here to a lesser extent will make anyone change the way they feel or think towards the above.

Its all relative.

Now .......who wants a beer session...... lol

Scoob

• ball.
    ball.

You're right scooby

You just gotta come to Weston, for that drinking competition.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I'm not that delusional to imagine that either JWD/Internet will bring down the WT or that whatever I say on here to a lesser extent will make anyone change the way they feel or think towards the above

Jehovah's Witnesses are approaching a crossroads. In 10, 15 maybe 20 years there will have been litigation that (potentially) could hit them for hundreds of millions dollars. It's by no means a certainty, but the potential is tremendous. There is nothing this organization cares more for than money, and if their pocketbook is hit to this extreme it will do one of two things: (1) force liberalized change (for fear of more lawsuits), drawing them closer to the mainstream or (2) drive them further into the paranoia that 'everyone' is out to get them and they will become a weird fringe cult that exists only on the outskirts of society.

Nothing said on this board will change how people feel? I must respectfully disagree. I live with a woman who was changed by what she read here. I can remember printing out threads and leaving them for Nina to read in the morning (I worked night shift then). She was shocked, frightened and then angry. Then she began to post here and interacted with various posters. Then I took her to meet some of the evil, wicked apostates and she discovered that they were human beings, no better or worse than she.

The pen, or digital bits, are mightier than the sword. Words do matter, they do have an impact and they do cause change. Will it 'bring down' the WTS? Probably not. In a world filled with doomsday religious cults, what's one more? There will always be Jehovah's Witnesses, or odd little groups like them filled with paranoid frenzy that the world is out to get them when in reality, the world just doesn't give a damn.

Chris

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

BigTex

I usually have alot of respect for what you have to say, but not on this occasion.

You have slightly twisted the point of the thread here. Although what you say is true in your case with Nina, as I'm sure it can be echoed from many others here on JWD, it isn't the point I was making. And I think you know it.

You did give the little get out clause at the end about "cults" and such like talk. But you skewered the discussion to fit your own agenda. I'll indulge you in that though.

Now indulge me in mine. It is only your hypothesis that JWs are "approaching a crossroads" and all that you said in the following paragraph. It could be said that it is just "delusional thinking" on the part of people such as yourself that are so anti-JW. Much the same that my thoughts could be called the same.

I still stand by my point. You and Simon can continue to post how BIG jwd has become, but it does not signal the end of the WT as you might hope, neither does speculating as many do here, and neither does ridicule.

At the end of the day, there will be "odd little groups" as you say, much like JWD. A forum with some good people in it, just like the JWs with some good people in it too.

My point is that this Forum tends to think its much more than it really is sometimes. And I mean no disrespect.

Scoob

• ball.
    ball.

Scoob

Is anyone actually saying this one web site is going to over-throw the Watchtower?

ok, I havent read the whole thread.

ok, I'll play Devils advocate for a min and say they (watchtower) are quite screwed with their love / hate relationship with IT, and what the internet is doing.

look at all our technology! "look at us, vinyl records and photo drama of death and destruction"

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

I don't want to argue this point any further, or fall out with anyone. There's so much more in life to worry/care about.

Scoob

• jgnat
  • trumangirl
    trumangirl

I think the internet is having a big affect that can only get bigger. Maybe not so much on current members, but as the young ones grow, many will check out the internet. And of prospective new members, who in their right mind who has internet access, would get baptised without first checking out the JWs on the internet?

I must add though, that posts that are anti-Jehovah tend to put off newbies. Some of us still have respect for God, even though 'Jehovah' has been mis-used by the WT as an icon for focusing worship of the org.

• trumangirl
    trumangirl

jgnat? what's with the fish pic?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit