IS THE ORGANIZATION MORE JEWISH THAN "CHRISTIAN"?

by Mary 21 Replies latest jw friends

• heathen
    heathen

I think the WTBTS considers themselves spiritual Israel and they do act like the sanhedrin with their judicial hearings and such .I have heard some dubs claim to speak in toungues , I even heard some that would do animal sacrifices but I don't think that's part of the religion . The exorcism thing is not as played out as the catholic church performs the ritual but they do believe that demons can posses people but do not claim to have authority over demons such as the apostles had since most of them do not claim to have anointing of holy spirit . The partaking of wine and bread at the memorial supper is considered to be something only the 144k in revelation(or those that claim the anointing) can do since they are considered the body of christ and are the only ones deemed worthy. I don't remember reading a specific time mentioned in the NT for fasting so it's really not part of christian theology .They do not observe the jewish sabbath .I don't think missing an occassional meal would hurt most of them since they are probly the fatest people on earth .LOL They seem to believe that bearing witness to jesus inspires prophesy but again that it could only be the remnant of spiritual Israel who could be used in that way . (not that they ever got the end dates right )

The NT mentions shunning in the apostle Paul writings but only under certain circumstances , it's not just an old testament thing .

• beebee
    beebee

Ah...I offer what I expect is an unexpected point of view. Understand I come to these boards to understand my partner better, but I am a Jew. I'd say what I know of is still more Christian than not. First of all, the Jews don't view Jesus as the messiah or anything other than possibly a prophet. He didn't fulfill the messianic prophecies.

But as a religion (though some right wing sects may differ a bit), we do not believe in Hell, and the biggest difference as I have explained to my children is that we were taught a love and respect of G-D, not a fear. We are not born into sin and do not need salvation. We can be forgiven at any time just by asking. We get all our repentence needs out once a year (Yom Kippur). We are not discouraged from having outside friendships, though marriage to outsiders is discouraged. To the best of my knowledge, only the extremely orthodox shun their young for marrying a non-jew.

Family comes first, not the church.

However I recently discovered one alarming similarity. In a discussion with my partner about Jericho and the biblical passages around that time, I realized that despite an extensive Jewish education (all the way through 12th grade), I knew almost nothing about those battles and massacres. They are not discussed in Sabbath or festival passages. So I went to Jewish.com and the Ask a Rabbi feature and asked, why these old testament books were not taught.

His answer was very disappointing. He said that they want to make Jewish youth excited and proud to be Jewish so they don't teach any of the bad things that were done by Jews in the history.

I found that just as appalling as you guys have found the untruths and misrepresentations in your religion to be.

I no longer have any faith in organized religion, despite a faith in G-d.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

I have often thought about this especially with some of the emphasis on the old testament books (the newer Isaiah book, etc) Christ of course was spoken of and we were supposed to imitators of him, but many times it seems as if the teachings of Christ were thown out the window and the old law ruled.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

If the Jews, Muslims, and Jehovah's Witnesses got really stoned. I am meaning stoned. They could team up and battle christianity in good conscience. I think though the muslims would not waste their time compromising just for an extra 40 million people.

• gold_morning
    gold_morning

It seems to make sence as they feel they replaced the Jewish race and are God's spiritual.

Bibically it is the furthest thing from the truth. Gentiles did not take the place of but rather became heirs of with them.

Ephesians 3:6

"This mystery is htat through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus."

You can read Romans chapter 9 where Paul explains it further.

Just showing what Paul said about it.

agape love, Gold_morning

• ball.
    ball.

Well if this question was scientific, you cannot base the answer on a series of questions as you posed. It is more complex than that, especially for such a difficult question.

I think that much of the answer is down to how much the witnesses rely on the old testament.

• bebu
    bebu
    Many churches have idols

Um, that isn't quite the right word. Statues, stained glass, paintings, etc., are not necessarily idols. They are not there to be worshiped, just like I don't worship photographs or watercolors hanging on my wall. But I think most protestant churches pass (for various reasons) on images, to keep it safe.

But I think your comparison is still fairly accurate.

bebu

• Mary
    Mary
    I think that much of the answer is down to how much the witnesses rely on the old testament.

Well, they seem to rely on it quite a bit........or at least when it suits them. The whole 607 BCE crap comes from what happened with Nebuchadnezzar, they always liked to refer to the book of Leviticus when discussing anything "sexual" and then of course, there's the taboo on tatoos from the OT which they accept as gospel...........I find that whenever they refer to anything in the OT that cast the Jews in a favourable light, they apply it to themselves, but whenever the Jews did a no-no, like commit apostasy, they compare that with "Christendom"...........

• heathen
    heathen

I think the only promise made to anyone was that if they believed that jesus was the messiah and lived according to christian teachings that it didn't matter what their geneology was . The jews in the early church still wanted to be considered a select group that were entitled to more than the gentiles thus there was plenty of dissent amongst them , the apostle Paul had to convince them otherwise . The circumcision rule was one of those things that the jewish christians had to be corrected on as well as the distribution of supplies . Jesus did try to find as many converts as he could during his ministry in Israel but after his death and resurection the old jewish system became obsolete and the promise made to Abraham was fulfilled so then the important thing was to gather those from the 4 corners of the earth and convert whoever was willing , there was no longer a need to have thorough bred jews in charge of religious doctrine and rituals . IMO

• Mary
    Mary
    I think the only promise made to anyone was that if they believed that jesus was the messiah and lived according to christian teachings that it didn't matter what their geneology was . The jews in the early church still wanted to be considered a select group that were entitled to more than the gentiles

Yes and that's my point. The bible says that we're saved by faith, not by works, yet the Organization teaches the opposite. And when you say that the jews in the early church still wanted to be considered a select group that were entitled to more than the gentiles, I'd say that pretty much sums up the Witnesses too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit