IS THE ORGANIZATION MORE JEWISH THAN "CHRISTIAN"?

by Mary 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

I've enrolled in a Religious Studies class this term focusing on Christianity and the more I read, the more I'm getting the impression that the WTB&TS actually has more in common with the Jews than mainstream Christianity as I've illustrated below:

MAIN STREAM CHRISTIANITY JEWS JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

Trinity - 3 God's in one one God: Yahweh one God: Jehovah (english version of Yahweh)

Messiah = Jesus = God Messiah = a man Messiah = Jesus, a man

Celebrate Easter; dates vary celebrate Passover on Nissan 14 celebrate Memorial on Nissan 14

Many churches have idols no idols allowed no idols allowed

New Testament emphasized Old Testament only Old Testament emphasized as much as New Testament

Celebrate Christmas do not celebrate Christmas do not celebrate Christmas

There are many other things that seem to indicate that alot of Witness beliefs and practices are far closer to the Jewish faith than what they perhaps would like to admit. Does anyone else think this or am I reading too much into this?

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

Well, its more cult than anything.

But being they believe jeebus was a "special" person I'd put them more "Christian" than Jewish.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

They certainly seem to put a lot more emphasis on the legalism of the Jewish law. While they claim that the law ended with the death of Jesus, they are constantly using the OT laws as "principles" for legislating nearly everything the rank and file do. Even "matters of conscience" are rarely what they are claimed to be. The average Witness sees something that is a "matter of conscience" as a definite no-no.If they choose to go against the status quo on a "matter of conscience," there are often repurcussions.

I see this more as a device of control than anything, because they tend to flip flop so much on their so-called principles, ie laws. The claim that they are "the only channel to God," the fact that they allow no dissent or any inquiry outside of their paradigm of faith paints them more along cult lines (although there are orthodox Jewish sects that are very cult-like, also).

• willyloman
    willyloman

The WTS is anti-Christendom. They adhere more closely to Jewish traditions in part, I believe, because they don't trust the "early church fathers" in the first and second centuries who hammered out what is now known as Christianity. They teach that these men became apostate the moment John and the other original apostles died off. Of course, that doesn't prevent them from insisting on a largely literal interpretation of the bible (including the NT), despite the fact that the bible canon is the result of decisions and exclusions made by these "apostates."

It's one of the many incongruities you face when you are a JW and really study your own relligion.

• Mary
    Mary
    They certainly seem to put a lot more emphasis on the legalism of the Jewish law. While they claim that the law ended with the death of Jesus, they are constantly using the OT laws as "principles" for legislating nearly everything the rank and file do.

This is my thoughts too. The churches also teach that we are saved by grace (or faith), and that you cannot earn salvation through works. The Jews still abide by the Ten Commandments and various other laws that were given 3,000 years ago, believing it is vital to their salvation. The Witnesses also teach that faith alone is not enough and that you CAN earn salvation through how many frigging hours you fake out in field service each month.

The big one for me though is how many characters mentioned in the OT are known basically only to Jews and Witnesses. I mean, who else in a Christian church would know the following characters:

Enoch, Mathusela, Shem, Ham, Japeth, Shadrach, Me-shack and Abendiggo, Nebuchadnezzar, Belshazar, Jehosaphat, Zerubbabel.......and who besides the Jews and Witnesses would have the vaguest idea as to what the Festival of Booths was??

• Satanus
    Satanus

They exclude nt traditionally christian things like:

speaking in tongues

exorcism

partaking of wine and bread

recieving prophecies/words/special messages directly from god

taking care of poor and widows

fasting

While some of these are ot as well, other ot traditions that they retain are:

shunning

exclusivity

name jehovah

rules for everything

theology based on chronology

SS

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

JWs would agree that their religion is closer to Judaism than is "apostate" Christendom. Your findings only seem to confirm their belief that they are God's modern-day chosen people.

• Mary
    Mary
    JWs would agree that their religion is closer to Judaism than is "apostate" Christendom

Have they ever said anything to this effect in any of the magazines?? I know they love to separate themselves from "Babylon de Great", but their opinion of Jews ain't too high either.

• rocketman
    rocketman
    While they claim that the law ended with the death of Jesus, they are constantly using the OT laws as "principles" for legislating nearly everything the rank and file do.

I totally agree.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Have they ever said anything to this effect in any of the magazines?? I know they love to separate themselves from "Babylon de Great", but their opinion of Jews ain't too high either.

My point was that JWs see themselves as the true successors to God's chosen people, the Jews. If we just modify your table slightly it could actually appear in the Watchtower. Which of the two modern groups seem to be following the example of the "faithful men of old"?

JEWSJEHOVAH'S WITNESSESAPOSTATE CHRISTENDOM
    one God: Yahwehone God: Jehovah (english version of Yahweh)Trinity - 3 God's in one
    Messiah = a manMessiah = Jesus, a manMessiah = Jesus = God
    celebrate Passover on Nisan 14celebrate Memorial on Nisan 14Celebrate Easter; dates vary
    no idols allowedno idols allowedMany churches have idols
    Old Testament is the Word of GodOld Testament and New Testament are the Word of GodNew Testament emphasized, Old Testament largely ignored
    did not celebrate pagan feastsdo not celebrate Christmas or other pagan feastsCelebrate Christmas and other pagan feasts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit