What is the difference between Creationism and Intelligent Design?

by somebodylovesme 87 Replies latest jw friends

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Farkel;

""Nice little statement, but that statement is not an argument. That statement is meaningless and in fact could be turned back to you: trying to argue with a true believer is like trying to suck water out of a pound of sand. Don't you see how foolish such "comebacks" are? They mean nothing. They just make the one who states them feel better and hope people are too stupid to know how stupid they really are.""

I agree 100%!!. The "Medicine" Comment was a come back to AlanF?s remark about "Reasoning with IDs is like trying picking up Mercury with your fingers" or something stupid like that. By saying this, I was making a point. I am so happy you picked it up. And it seems my point was made, since now your remarks really apply to AlanF.

Good call Farkel!!

""Not correct. The only difference is that you cannot defend your position, and then claim false humility, and claim arrogance on Alan's behalf because you cannot defend your position.""

You need to reread my posts. I make no claims on the issue at hand, except that some claims by ID have merit which AlanF can?t disprove. I posted an example. If you disagree with my example, I respect that.

In fact, the few claims AlainF has made (in-between his insults and "Comebacks") I have only asked why AlainF?s claims were not backed up by reasons, or why would you only post one side of a debate? Fair questions. I have insulted no position, or issue of fact. I, however will continue to point out these tactics when they happen.

As an Example, here is how AlanF treats people:

"": It is not unreasonable to expect that both sides of a debate would be presented so everyone??s viewpoint can be considered.

It was, you moron -- at the conference""

See what I mean? The issue was not what happened at the conference, but that he pointed us all to his web site to read his side of the debate, without the other side?s response or rebuttal. That was the issue at hand. I always suspect this one-sided tactic. Its too JW-ish.

Now, look at his reply. I feel I am dealing with a 16 year old. Very pathetic response, using your standards, right, Farkel?

AlanF?s insults, name calling, and not being able to address the real issues shows his closed mindedness, IMHO. Not posting the rebuttal of the person he was debating with is very telling too. I would guess the Good Doctor creamed AlainF. But, who knows? He did not post the rebuttal......

And then, after all this, we are expected to believe he holds the key (or the mature, thinking mind) to explain how the universe was made? Give me a break!

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface
    ChiChi : AlanF?s insults, name calling, and not being able to address the real issues shows his closed mindedness

Well your kind of tiring you know ChiChi ... It is like AlanF have to reppeat the same things over and over again ! Ask for the CD and see for yourself then come back to debate if you feel like ... (Why ? because of the copyright !) but from this point this doesn't lead nowhere with you.

It is not about God does not exist ... it is about there is no proof at all. It is not because you want to believe that it have to be true ...

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Here is why I feel ID may have merit:

1. A method for design detection. There's much discussion about the validity of specified complexity as a method for design detection, but judging by the response it has elicited over the last four years, this method is not going away. Some scholars (like Wesley Elsberry here) think it merely codifies an argument from ignorance. Others (like Paul Davies) think that it's onto something important. The point is that there are major players who are not intelligent design proponents who disagree. Such disagreement indicates that there are issues of real intellectual merit to be decided and that we're not dealing with a crank theory (at least not one that's obviously so).
    2. Irreducibly complex biochemical systems. These are systems like the bacterial flagellum. They exhibit specified complexity. Moreover, the biological community does not have a clue how they emerged by material mechanisms. The great promise of Darwinian and other naturalistic accounts of evolution was precisely to show how known material mechanisms operating in known ways could produce all of biological complexity. That promise is now increasingly recognized as unfulfilled (and perhaps unfulfillable). Franklin Harold, not a design proponent, in his most recent book for Oxford University Press, The Way of the Cell, states "There are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical or cellular system, only a variety of wishful speculations." AlanFs "Ifs"? Intelligent design contends that our ignorance here comprises not minor gaps in our knowledge of biological systems that promise readily to submit to tried-and-true mechanistic models, but rather indicates vast conceptual lacunae that are bridgeable only by radical ideas like design.
    3. Challenge to the status quo. Let's face it, in educated circles Darwinism and other mechanistic accounts of evolution are utterly status quo. That has advantages and disadvantages for proponents like yourselves. On the one hand, it means that the full resources of the scientific and educational establishment are behind you, and you can use them to squelch dissent. On the other hand, and especially to the extent that you are heavy-handed in enforcing materialist orthodoxy, it means that you are in danger of alienating the younger generation, which thrives on rebellion against the status quo. Intelligent design appeals to the rebelliousness of youth.
    4. The disconnect between high and mass culture. It's the educated elite that love evolution and the materialist science it helps to underwrite. On the other hand, the masses are by and large convinced of intelligent design. What's more, the masses ultimately hold the purse strings for the educated elite (in the form of state education, research funding, scholarships, etc.). This disconnect can be exploited. The advantage that biological evolution has had thus far is providing a theoretical framework, however empirically inadequate, to account for the emergence of biological complexity. The disadvantage facing the intelligent-design-supporting masses is that they've had to rely almost exclusively on pretheoretic design intuitions. Intelligent design offers to replace those pretheoretic intuitions with a rigorous design-theoretic framework that underwrites those intuitions.
    5. An emerging research community. Intelligent design is attracting bright young scholars who are totally committed to developing intelligent design as a research program. We're still thin on the ground, but the signs I see are very promising indeed. It's not enough merely to detect design. Once it's detected, it must be shown how design leads to biological insights that could not have been obtained by taking a purely materialist outlook. I'm beginning to see glimmers of a thriving design-theoretic research program.
  • ThiChi
    ThiChi

Here is what to look out for in debate:

Conflate intelligent design with creationism. I'm not sure how much longer this tactic will work because the public and press are now catching on to the difference, but as long as there's mileage to be obtained, go for it. Emphasize science as a great force for enlightenment and contrast it sharply with fanatical religious fundamentalism. Then stress that intelligent design is essentially a religious and political movement. Generously use the "C-word" to confuse intelligent design with creationism, and then be sure to liken creationism to astrology, belief in a flat earth, and holocaust denial.

1. Argue for the superfluity of design. This action point is also getting increasingly difficult to implement simply on the basis of empirical evidence, but by artificially defining science as an enterprise limited solely to material mechanisms, one conveniently eliminates design from scientific discussion. Thus any gap in our knowledge of how material mechanisms brought about some biological system does not reflect an absence of material mechanisms in nature to produce the system or a requirement for design to account for the system, but only a gap in our knowledge readily filled by carrying on as we have been carrying on.
    2. Play the suboptimality card. For most people the designer is a benevolent, wise God. This allows for the exploitation of cognitive dissonance by pointing to cases of apparent incompetent or wicked design in nature. I believe intelligent design has good answers to this objection, but the problem of evil is wonderfully adept at clouding intellects. This is one place where skepticism does well exploiting emotional responses.
    3. Achieve a scientific breakthrough. Provide detailed testable models of how irreducibly complex biochemical systems like the bacterial flagellum could have emerged by material mechanisms. I don't give this much hope, but if you could pull this off, intelligent design would have a lot of backpedaling to do.
    4. [And finally] Paint a more appealing world picture. Skepticism is at heart an austere enterprise. It works by negation. It makes a profession of shooting things down. This doesn't set well with a public that delights in novel possibilities. In his Pensées, Blaise Pascal wrote, "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive." Pascal was not talking about people merely believing what they want to believe, as in wish-fulfillment. Rather, he was talking about people being swept away by attractive ideas that capture their heart and imagination. Poll after poll indicates that for most people evolution does not provide a compelling vision of life and the world. Providing such a vision is in my view skepticism's overriding task if it is to unseat intelligent design. Good luck.
  • funkyderek
    funkyderek

ThiChi:

Challenge to the status quo
    The disconnect between high and mass culture.

I'm baffled as to how you could think (or even feel) that these criteria could lend merit to a hypothesis. You seem to be saying that ID has merit because it's unorthodox and will therefore automatically appeal to rebels and mavericks, and because it's becoming popular among the less educated masses.

This is, I'm afraid to say, nothing new. It's creationism with a fancy new name. (Your anticipating this argument doesn't make it any less true.) And like the more traditional creationists, you seem happy just to be listened to. It doesn't seem to matter to you whether your beliefs have any real merit, as long as you can persuade enough people - naive youngsters and the uneducated - to believe them.

Your challenge to skeptics to "Paint a more appealing world picture" is further evidence of this. Your belief system may be more appealing to some. That doesn't make it true.

In response to the only thing you wrote that even approached an argument, perhaps you'd benefit from reading this:

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB200_1.html

• simwitness
    simwitness

The one distinction I can see to "ID" vs. "Creationism" is that generally the latter is associated with religous fundamentals, while the former allows for "a designer" without the need for religious backing...

I say that without any knowledge of ID outside of that contained in this thread, and only a cursery reading of the material in this thread.

I do agree with what others have said... that when it comes to the actual "origins" of Life/Man, it is a distinction without a difference.

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

All creationism tries to do is answer the questions evolution hasn't answered yet. Trying to disprove elements of evolution doesn't make creationism right.

I like Michael Shermer's comments on his recent debate with a YEC

I then moved to the most important slide of my presentation: the famous Sidney Harris cartoon of two scientists at a blackboard filled with equations, with the words ?THEN A MIRACLE OCCURS? in the mathematical sequence. The caption has one scientist saying to the other: ?I THINK YOU NEED TO BE MORE EXPLICIT HERE IN STEP TWO.? Again and again throughout the evening I drove home the point that creationists are doing nothing more than saying ?then a miracle occurs.? This is the ?god of the gaps? argument?wherever an apparent gap exists in scientific knowledge, this is where God interjects a miracle. I also noted, quite emphatically, that neither Hovind nor any other creationist would ever present positive evidence in support of their creationist position, because no such evidence exists. They can always and only attack the theory of evolution and hope that no one notices that they have said nothing that would lead to a creationist conclusion. They offer no mechanism for creationism.
    http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic05-10-04.html
  • AlanF
    AlanF

It's interesting, Farkel, to see a typical creationist at work. Let's note the futher stupidities in ThiChi's comments:

: ""Nice little statement, but that statement is not an argument. That statement is meaningless and in fact could be turned back to you: trying to argue with a true believer is like trying to suck water out of a pound of sand. Don't you see how foolish such "comebacks" are? They mean nothing. They just make the one who states them feel better and hope people are too stupid to know how stupid they really are.""

Note how ThiChi entirely misses the point:

: I agree 100%!!. The "Medicine" Comment was a come back to AlanF?s remark about "Reasoning with IDs is like trying picking up Mercury with your fingers" or something stupid like that. By saying this, I was making a point. I am so happy you picked it up. And it seems my point was made, since now your remarks really apply to AlanF.

What this guy misses is that my comment was a setup to allow me to demonstrate why "arguing with creationists about such things is like trying to pick up mercury with your fingers." He immediately gave me the appropriate demonstration, which I pointed out in this exchange:

ThiChi: Don?t get me wrong, I respect your views ten fold....however, I feel the truth of the matter is still a matter for debate....
    AlanF: This is why I said that arguing these matters with creationists is like trying to pick up mercury with your fingers. You're not being specific here. "The truth of the matter" doesn't specify whether you're talking about the creation/evolution debate in general, or one or more of the various questions you replied to above. Assuming you mean any or all of these things, your statement is trivially true -- of course it's a matter for debate.

Of course, the moron never responded to my points. In this thread he's proved adept at demonstrating the truth of one of my earliest comments in this thread: "You fail to connect the simplest of dots and don't even know it."

: ""Not correct. The only difference is that you cannot defend your position, and then claim false humility, and claim arrogance on Alan's behalf because you cannot defend your position.""

: You need to reread my posts. I make no claims on the issue at hand,

ThiChi makes no claims on the issue at hand? Don't you agree that this is an incredibly stupid remark, Farkel?

: except that some claims by ID have merit which AlanF can?t disprove.

He has yet to come up with anything of the sort.

: I posted an example. If you disagree with my example, I respect that.

Where? The closest I can see that ThiChi has come to an example up to this point is saying, "All I know is that there are creditable arguments from the ID side that needs debate."

: In fact, the few claims AlainF has made (in-between his insults and "Comebacks") I have only asked why AlainF?s claims were not backed up by reasons,

But they were backed up by reasons. In my post of "25-May-04 20:43" I gave full reasons why his "False Dilemma" comments were wrong.

Note, Farkel, the way this guy works. Either he doesn't read everything posted to him in a thread, or he doesn't understand it, which indicates he's as stupid as I suggested. Or he does read and understand the material, but ignores it, which means he's dishonest and as mercurial as I suggested. Either way, it's typical Fundy Creationist behavior. In ThiChi's case, he suffers from both defects.

: or why would you only post one side of a debate?

Which I fully explained: Copyright restrictions don't allow it, and Dr. Kindall specifically denied my request for a written copy. Nevertheless, I offered to provide an MP3 CD with the full debates to anyone who requested it. Naturally, ThiChi's dishonesty prevents him from acknowledging this. He even ignored FrenchBabyFace's pointing this out.

: Fair questions. I have insulted no position, or issue of fact. I, however will continue to point out these tactics when they happen.

In the stereotypically braindead Fundy Creationist manner. Below he finely illustrates how his fine-tuned dishonesty works:

: As an Example, here is how AlanF treats people:

::: "": It is not unreasonable to expect that both sides of a debate would be presented so everyone??s viewpoint can be considered.

:: It was, you moron -- at the conference""

: See what I mean? The issue was not what happened at the conference, but that he pointed us all to his web site to read his side of the debate, without the other side?s response or rebuttal. That was the issue at hand. I always suspect this one-sided tactic. Its too JW-ish.

ThiChi has completely ignored the fact that I offered to make available -- in the only legal and practical way I can -- the "other side?s response or rebuttal." This is pure dishonesty.

Next you can see you how braindead this guy really is:

: Now, look at his reply. I feel I am dealing with a 16 year old. Very pathetic response, using your standards, right, Farkel?

Do you see him connecting any dots here?

: AlanF?s insults, name calling,

When braindead Fundies claim that I'm dishonest, I respond forthrightly and call a spade a spade. I've fully demonstrated ThiChi's dishonesty and stupidity.

: and not being able to address the real issues shows his closed mindedness, IMHO.

Given that I did address "the real issues" that ThiChi brought up, this shows his dishonesty.

: Not posting the rebuttal of the person he was debating with is very telling too.

Note, Farkel, how this guy completely ignores my comments that it would be unreasonable to expect me to make a transcript of an hour-long PowerPoint presentation. Yet another proof of his stupidity and dishonesty.

: I would guess the Good Doctor creamed AlainF. But, who knows? He did not post the rebuttal......

Actually Dr. Kindall gave a standard YEC presentation. It addressed hardly any of the points I brought up. Of course, my offer to send an MP3 of the debate to anyone who requests it (except now ThiChi, who can contact Dr. Kindall on his own) still stands, and its contents will prove how little Kindall addressed. But of course, this would require someone to get the MP3 and actually listen to it. And we know that most Fundy Creationists are far too mentally lazy to do this.

Finally, ThiChi ends with a typical Fundy Creationist excuse not to deal with the actual issues being discussed:

: And then, after all this, we are expected to believe he holds the key (or the mature, thinking mind) to explain how the universe was made? Give me a break!

This combines a blanket dismissal of everything that I said that's relevant to this thread with an ad hominem against me, which is supposed to then prove that evolutionary scientists know nothing.

AlanF

• AlanF
    AlanF

Simwitness said:

: The one distinction I can see to "ID" vs. "Creationism" is that generally the latter is associated with religous fundamentals, while the former allows for "a designer" without the need for religious backing...

That's what the most vocal ID proponents would have you believe, but in practice their Designer is none other than the Christian God. ID's most vocal proponent, Phillip Johnson, stated forthrightly that his motives are entirely religious. In his 1997 book Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds he stated:

I therefore put the following simple proposition on the table for discussion: God is our true Creator. I am not speaking of a God who is known only by faith and is invisible to reason, or who acted undetectably behind some naturalistic evolutionary process that was to all appearances mindless and purposeless. That kind of talk is about the human imagination, not the reality of God. I speak of a God who acted openly and who left his fingerprints all over the evidence. Does such a God really exist, or is he a fantasy like Santa Claus? That is the subject of this book. [p. 23]
    I will explain in subsequent chapters why the biologists insist that evolution must be unsupervised and why God?s purposes are not listed among the things that might have affected evolution. [p. 15]

So, even though in principle the general notion of "intelligent design" doesn't necessarily require religious backing (indeed, the Designers might be superintelligent space aliens), the practitioners of Intelligent Design are just Christian creationists in disguise.

Let me emphasize that ID creationists have little in common with the self-styled "Scientific Creationists", who are all young-earth creationists and have managed to get themselves labeled by non-YECs as "Creationists". The terminology is a bit confusing, but one gets used to it, and in context it becomes easy to see who's who.

Truthseekeer1, your quote from Shermer is dead nuts on.

AlanF

• AlanF
    AlanF

Finally, ThiChi, you managed to get around to posting something substantive about "Intelligent Design". Unfortunately, you didn't write it, but plagiarized it from someone else.

: Here is why I feel ID may have merit:

ID may have some merit, but not for the reasons you've posted. In fact, it's obvious that you didn't write the material below (and don't even understand it), but cut and pasted it from another disussion forum, without attribution. That's called plagiarism. I'll point out why this is obvious, along with problems in the argumentation itself.

: 1. A method for design detection.

The clipped English shows that this is a snippet from a larger discussion that introduced the five listed points.

: There's much discussion about the validity of specified complexity as a method for design detection, but judging by the response it has elicited over the last four years, this method is not going away. Some scholars (like Wesley Elsberry here)

Elsberry originated the Usenet News group talk.origins around 1989, and now maintains the talkorigins.org website. The reference to "like Wesley Elsberry here" proves that this stuff is cut and pasted from somewhere else. Where is "here"?

: think it merely codifies an argument from ignorance.

Elsberry is correct. A careful reading of ID literature shows that this is all that ID boils down to: "I can't see how this could have evolved by itself; therefore God did it." ID author Michael Behe's notion of "irreducible complexity" is the epitome of the argument from ignorance. ID author William Dembski's notion of "the design inference" is another form of arguing from ignorance, but happens to be couched in difficult-to-understand language, and is therefore difficult to debate point by point. These notions have often been called "argument by lack of imagination". I consider ID, as defined by Phillip Johnson, Behe, Dembski and others in their camp, to be little more than a rhetorical theory with almost nothing empirical to back it up.

: Others (like Paul Davies) think that it's onto something important.

Davies is a prominent physicist. He lends absolutely no support to the claims of Intelligent Design proponents such as Phillip Johnson. In my above post to Simwitness, I showed what Johnson's real motives are: to promote his religious views. Davies believes that some sort of God (obviously not the Christian God) created the universe initially and then let it go its merry way. Indeed, he believes that life arose without intervention from this God. In his Templeton Prize address, Davies said (full text at http://www.origins.org/articles/davies_templetonaddress.html ):

So where is God in this story? Not especially in the big bang that starts the universe off, nor meddling fitfully in the physical processes that generate life and consciousness. I would rather that nature can take care of itself. The idea of a God who is just another force or agency at work in nature, moving atoms here and there in competition with physical forces, is profoundly uninspiring. To me, the true miracle of nature is to be found in the ingenious and unswerving lawfulness of the cosmos, a lawfulness that permits complex order to emerge from chaos, life to emerge from inanimate matter, and consciousness to emerge from life, without the need for the occasional supernatural prod; a lawfulness that produces beings who not only ask great questions of existence, but who, through science and other methods of enquiry, are even beginning to find answers.

This is pure Deism. Johnson and his buddies have said that they completely disagree with it.

: The point is that there are major players who are not intelligent design proponents who disagree.

Disagree with what? Here's that typical creationist fuzziness again, that mercurial inability to focus on specifics.

: Such disagreement indicates that there are issues of real intellectual merit to be decided and that we're not dealing with a crank theory (at least not one that's obviously so).

Unspecified disagreement doesn't allow further comment. The fact that you plagiarize this stuff without understanding, ThiChi, further reinforces my point that you don't know what you're talking about and don't know enough to connect the dots.

: 2. Irreducibly complex biochemical systems. These are systems like the bacterial flagellum.

Behe's example in 1996 in Darwin's Black Box has been shown to be incorrect. He gave as an example of "irreducible complexity" the mechanism of operation of the flagellum of a certain bacterium. Since then, several types of bacteria have been found that are missing some of the parts that Behe claimed were necessary for the flagellum to work. This proves that his notion of "irreducible complexity" is highly subjective and subject to change as the knowledge of the claimant changes. Indeed, when bacteria with simpler flagella were pointed out to the ID community, they simply reformulated their claims and now say that it's the simpler bacteria that are irreducibly complex. Obviously they don't really have a grip on their notion. This reformulation proves once again that the notion of "irreducible complexity" is just an argument from ignorance.

: They exhibit specified complexity.

The above example of reformulation after new information comes along shows that "specified complexity" is a pipe dream.

: Moreover, the biological community does not have a clue how they emerged by material mechanisms.

An argument by lack of imagination. Once upon a time, the biological community was ignorant of the mechanisms of heredity. Various Christian apologists argued that man would never know the mysteries of heredity, and therefore the mechanisms were a miracle from God. All that changed in 1953 when Watson and Crick discovered the structure of DNA. Certain biologists in the 1930s who studied the way bees fly wrote a paper that said that, according to then-understood aerodynamic flight mechanisms, they should not be able to fly. Various creationists, including the JWs, often used that as an example of how dumb scientists are. In recent years, advances in understanding of aerodynamics have changed all that, and certain biologists now understand bees' flight mechanism quite well. So the mere fact that scientists do not now understand something does not mean they never will. And history demonstrates that resorting to the "God of the Gaps" whenever scientists have gaps in understanding is a sure way to be embarrassed by continual retrenchment.

: The great promise of Darwinian and other naturalistic accounts of evolution was precisely to show how known material mechanisms operating in known ways could produce all of biological complexity. That promise is now increasingly recognized as unfulfilled (and perhaps unfulfillable).

Actually quite the reverse has taken place. It is simply not known very well yet. For example, using a combination of random variations and selection according to specified criteria, engineers have optimized the design of certain airplane wings, the turbine blades in certain jet engines, and so forth. One scientist produced an electrical circuit, using these methods, that outperformed anything anyone had designed before -- and no one could figure out how the circuit worked.

These examples are, of course, but baby steps on the road to fully understanding the mechanisms of natural variation acting in conjunction with natural selection, which produces organisms "designed" better to survive the specific environment in which they live. When this environment changes, so does the structure of the organisms. Creationists will argue that such examples don't apply to evolution because the selection process is guided. But they miss the point. The point is that random variation, selected by some selection process -- deliberately set up by scientists or set up by nature herself by the vagaries of a changing environment -- can result in better results than deliberate design. And that's exactly what evolution by natural selection is all about.

: Franklin Harold, not a design proponent, in his most recent book for Oxford University Press, The Way of the Cell, states "There are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical or cellular system, only a variety of wishful speculations."

Indeed, scientists are at present ignorant of the precise mechanisms. Lack of imagination is at work again here.

: AlanFs "Ifs"?

You're the only one who used a bunch of unjustified "if" statements, ThiChi.

Is your mind so fuzzy that you can't even keep track of what you said?

: Intelligent design contends

ID proponents "contend" a lot. They have yet to prove anything, and they have yet to embark on a program of scientific research. Its proponents attend and host conferences, travel and give speeches (usually to general, not scientific, audiences), and write apologetic books. Their own journal, Origins & Design, rarely contains research articles about intelligent design. Instead, it contains theological arguments and critiques, and articles that address the design issue in general but do not detail any original research that supports Intelligent Design. In other words, rather than provide positive evidence for their own position, Intelligent Design theorists try mainly to find weaknesses in natural selection and other parts of the theory of evolution, or they say, "I can?t imagine how that structure could have evolved," then claim that Intelligent Design must be true because it?s the only other plausible explanation.

: that our ignorance here comprises not minor gaps in our knowledge of biological systems that promise readily to submit to tried-and-true mechanistic models, but rather indicates vast conceptual lacunae

"Lacunae"! That's a good word! Did you look up its meaning before plagiarizing it?

: that are bridgeable only by radical ideas like design.

"I can?t imagine how that structure could have evolved!"

: 3. Challenge to the status quo. Let's face it, in educated circles Darwinism and other mechanistic accounts of evolution are utterly status quo. That has advantages and disadvantages for proponents like yourselves.

Another indication of cut and paste from another discussion board.

: On the one hand, it means that the full resources of the scientific and educational establishment are behind you, and you can use them to squelch dissent.

A standard YEC and ID refrain. No substance, but they repeat it a lot.

: On the other hand, and especially to the extent that you are heavy-handed in enforcing materialist orthodoxy, it means that you are in danger of alienating the younger generation, which thrives on rebellion against the status quo.

The facts of science do not depend on the alienation of a group of people. They depend on realities in the world around us.

: Intelligent design appeals to the rebelliousness of youth.

Ah. So the facts of science ought to be determined by catering to rebellious young people and perhaps to politics. A typically dumb argument from a non-scientist.

: 4. The disconnect between high and mass culture. It's the educated elite that love evolution and the materialist science it helps to underwrite. On the other hand, the masses are by and large convinced of intelligent design.

The masses are also convinced of astrology, UFOs, channeling, ESP, ghosts and so forth. It's sad that someone claiming to have good things to say has to resort to such a stupid argument. But it's about all that true ID proponents really have.

Actually this claim about "the masses" isn't even correct. Most people outside the circle of "the educated elite" don't know anything about ID. It certainly was news to most of the 300 people who attended the conference where I presented material on ID. Most had never even heard of it.

This is a tactic that ID proponents are using to get publicity for themselves -- they declare that they have wide support when they actually have only a tiny circle of people who happen to be extremely outspoken.

: What's more, the masses ultimately hold the purse strings for the educated elite (in the form of state education, research funding, scholarships, etc.). This disconnect can be exploited.

Ah. Just like the YECs want to do. Force scientists to do religion instead of science.

: The advantage that biological evolution has had thus far is providing a theoretical framework,

Certainly an advantage over ID, which provides no theoretical framework at all.

: however empirically inadequate, to account for the emergence of biological complexity.

Only according to YECs and IDers.

: The disadvantage facing the intelligent-design-supporting masses is that they've had to rely almost exclusively on pretheoretic design intuitions.

This is gobble-de-goop.

: Intelligent design offers to replace those pretheoretic intuitions with a rigorous design-theoretic framework that underwrites those intuitions.

Somehow this sounds like forcing schools to teach religious ideas and violate the Constitution.

: 5. An emerging research community.

That's rich! What research community are we talking about? Certainly not anything run by Phillip Johnson and his close associates.

; Intelligent design is attracting bright young scholars who are totally committed to developing intelligent design as a research program.

Hardly any, actually. The only such person I'm aware of wrote a Ph.D. thesis about the conceptual development of ID, and turned it into a book. It's quite poor, and is really mostly about defending religious ideas.

: We're still thin on the ground,

This guy is a master of understatement.

: but the signs I see are very promising indeed.

Ah, the enthusiasm of someone not yet faced with reality.

: It's not enough merely to detect design. Once it's detected, it must be shown how design leads to biological insights that could not have been obtained by taking a purely materialist outlook.

A key point indeed. But the ID community has not yet provided us with any such "biological insights". Their writings so far have been either religious, philosophical, or negative criticsims of evolution. Zip, zilch, nada in favor of ID.

: I'm beginning to see glimmers of a thriving design-theoretic research program.

What I see is a lot of hype, which is beginning to attract the attention of good scientists, who are now writing solid criticisms. Remember that it took about 15-20 years for scientists to really get going on writing criticisms of YECism, but when they did, it was devastating. YECs are viewed as jokes by all good scientists, including Christians and those with leanings toward ID. Once the intellectual vacuousness of ID becomes well known, and the fact that it's just another attempt to force religion into the practice of science, it will wither as an intellectual force, just as YECism has.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit