Why didn't Sadam........?

by confusedjw 53 Replies latest social current

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Realist,

My point is that it is unfair to blame the US for the civilian deaths when Saddam could have spent money on his people instead of his stupid palaces.

• Realist
    Realist

crazy,

yes that would indeed be unfair. BUT it simply is not true. if you read the UN report it is very clear that it was the embargo (meaning = iraq was not ALLOWED to import critical goods!) that killed the people! this was not a matter of money! it was a matter of closing the borders and denying essential food and medical supplies to cross the border!

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

embargo (meaning = iraq was not ALLOWED to import critical goods!)

ohhhhh so Gold and Marble are good to go but we wont let you have food? BS.

Blame the UN Brits

• Realist
    Realist

crazy,

calling facts bullshit is just silly old friend!

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Surrealist,

And it's all the fault of the US, Saddam and his regime bear NO RESPONSIBILITY for aggression, subtrefuge, and obstinance...plus the fact that anything Saddam wanted he was getting inspite of any so called embargo...right?

• Realist
    Realist

yeru,

i will post this again for you:

first i do NOT blame the US for what hussein actually did. secondly i do not blame the US for what the NK gov. does. BUT i do blame the US for supporting each and every dictator as long as they support their cause and after they get inconvenient they are turned into devils and removed with the loss of thousands of inncent lives - all for the sake of US industry lobbiest. that combined with the sickening empty phrases about bringing democracy, freedom, wealth and prosperty to the world is what aggrevates me about the US!

as so many times before you try to twist my words. i never condoned what hussein actually did. the death of hundreds of thousands of civilinas due to the US embargo (long before the oil for food program started) is to be blamed on the US and no one else!

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Particularly as Saddam Hussein COULD have been taken out by a coup mounted by his own military in 1991 IF the US had provided the support they had promised!

• Xena
    Xena

Humor me for a minute will you realist? I'm new to this political and military stuff....so we imposed an embargo...in effect we refused to trade with Iraq? Were they allowed to trade with anyone else? Or was the US the only one not trading with them? I'm just curious because you are laying the deaths of these civilians directly at the door of the US...

Also does Iraq have no resources of their own? And do we have an obligation to trade with anyone?

Please excuse my ignorance.

• Realist
    Realist

xena,

Please excuse my ignorance.

excused!

Were they allowed to trade with anyone else?

no they were not. you should perhaps read about this issue.

• Simon
    Simon
    Particularly as Saddam Hussein COULD have been taken out by a coup mounted by his own military in 1991 IF the US had provided the support they had promised!

Or, in fact, not destroyed the arms they needed thus actively helping Saddam to remain in power.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit