Have you had a midlife crisis? A sort of poll....

by FlyingHighNow 76 Replies latest members private

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Flyin' , I agree about the wrinkles and the silver hair..........in fact, I WILL NOT dye my hair. I love the way it looks..........

Sunny, I bet the silver looks very becoming on top of your dark hair. I don't dye my hair either. Not yet. It seems too much to keep up with. I always remember the silver back gorillas and the respect they get.

I look forward to being an old woman, sitting on my front porch in a rocker, soaking up the wildlife and joys that natures holds whilst holding a paintbrush in my hand and listening to rock and roll with a good dose of Mozart mixed in. Thanks for the thread.

I like to smile and picture us all in the retirment village rec hall listening to piped in Zeppelin and Sabbath.

One thing that brings me comfort is that everyone I went to school with is middle-aged, too!

I had mine at 38, when I realized in two years I would have an empty nest. What I did....I went back to school, found this forum, started my writing etc. It was a good thing

Shelia, I can always feel such a positive vibe coming across in your posts. What hope for anyone going through this to read such posts as those above and to know the sadness and bewilderment will pass and in its place you will find a wiser, stronger more beautiful human being.

Thank you all. Please keep sharing all of you. Let's spread around the well earned wisdom.

Flyin'

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

That's for all your posts guys. A very near and near friend of mine is having a mid-life crisis (I think). He's not married, no kids and is freaking out at the revelation that he will be 38 next year. He too wants to buy a corvette. I havent know what to say to him or how to help him. I've thoroughly read all of your posts, and it has been very insightful. Thanks a bunch.

My response to him was "what do you want to buy a corvette for? Everytime you drive by people are just going to point and laugh and say 'hey that guys' having a mid-life crisis'" Maybe that wasnt the most sensitive thing I could say :)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Maybe that wasnt the most sensitive thing I could say :)

Well, maybe not but it's very true. Now that you've put some humor to it you can show him this thread or print it up for him.

Flyin'

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Hmmmm....

Haven't read everyone else's posts yet, but suffice it to say that I am currently in the midst of my mid-life crisis! I need some helping figgerin' out what I'm going to do when I grow up............! Better yet, please just wake me when it's over!!!

:-)

growedup (supposedly!)

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz
    you can show him this thread or print it up for him

LOL. Oh yah, that's the LAST thing he needs, to know that not only do I think he's having a mid-life crisis, but that I'm online talking about it to other people :)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I need some helping figgerin' out what I'm going to do when I grow up............! Better yet, please just wake me when it's over!!!

Awww Growed, just look at the good advice on this thread. You can write me if you need a shoulder. Okay? You do still have my e-mail don't you? Hugs.

LOL. Oh yah, that's the LAST thing he needs, to know that not only do I think he's having a mid-life crisis, but that I'm online talking about it to other people :)

Okay, so then try to memorize the things that you think can help him. Ever' single one of them.

Flyin'

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz
    Okay, so then try to memorize the things that you think can help him. Ever' single one of them.

I'm writting them on the palm of my hands at this very moment

• Englishman
    Englishman

• How old were you when you went through it?

I was 44.

• How long did it take to get through it?

About 3 years.

• Did you come to embrace the new old you?

Oh yes!

• What things did or do you tell yourself to cope or accept the end of your youth?

Pretty women suddenly felt safe with me. That was cool. Income went up and expenditure went down. Travelling helped broaden my outlooks. I stopped caring about what people thought about me and became more concerned with what I thought about me. I realised that I'm basically 99% delightful with a 1% streak that is absolutely horrible.

...and I don't care one whit about that.

Englishman.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I stopped caring about what people thought about me and became more concerned with what I thought about me. I realised that I'm basically 99% delightful with a 1% streak that is absolutely horrible.

Englishman.

Very simple but very helpful thing to remember. What we think of ourselves is more important than petty or judgemental other people. I'm going to think on the way you put that as I go about my afternoon.

Very delightful by the way.

Flyin'

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I stopped caring about what people thought about me and became more concerned with what I thought about me. I realised that I'm basically 99% delightful with a 1% streak that is absolutely horrible.

Englishman.

Very simple but very helpful thing to remember. What we think of ourselves is more important than petty or judgemental other people. I'm going to think on the way you put that as I go about my afternoon.

Very delightful by the way.

Flyin'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit