Freedom to Choose God

by UnDisfellowshipped 774 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    LT..... In the case of Adam there was righteousness and law, for as long as that law wasn't transgressed. If there had been no law at all, he could have eaten what he wanted with no sin imputed at all.
    I will agree with your statement as it refers to fallen mankind, just not to Adam in a state of innocence.

Do you think A&E would have partook of the fruit if God kept silient about the tree? (I would say no because theres no intrest)

Or did this peak their intrest right at the start.

Galatians 3:21: Is the Law then contrary to the promises of God? May it never be! For if a law had been given which was able to impart life, then righteousness would indeed have been based on law

So by what means is God righteous?
    You'll surely agree that he's not subject to law, nor able to sin.

Pul-ease, look at the verse "if a law had been given" In Adams case was a law given?
  • outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

LT,

You said:

Well, you're welcome to try, but it's hard to discredit something that someone has personally experienced. It's like me trying to tell you your mother doesn't exist!

To me , there is no correlation to a 100% proven fact....(and yes, I asked my mommy again and she said that I am her child...... you may know that that is bullsh*t, since my mommy hasn't spoken to me in years, but the point is still valid... )..... and faith. I respect your faith and your freedom to believe it, however, when it comes right down to it, your faith is no more provable than my lack of faith, (as you would consider it.)

Brad

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

LT, EW, ozzie and DD,

I didn't intend to have my original question as repeated by Gumby to be swept under the rug. I still think it is a valid question in this discussion you are carrying on:

Why did God not create Adam and Eve at the same time? Genesis 2:18 says (my apologies for using he NWT... ):

And Jehovah God went on to say: "It is not good for the man to continue by himself. I am going to make a helper for him, as a complement of him."

At what point did it all become good? At what point did God become perfect in his judgement? If Eve was a complement, Adam was surely not considered to be whole before Eve was created.

What gives? At what part of the Biblical story am I to consider God to be infallible? Pretend that I want to really be a good Christian... .... how would you answer this to a straying Christian?

Brad

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

DD:
    Prov.12:22 doesn't carry any consequences that I see, so whilst it's a clear indication of God's feelings on the matter, is it actually a law?

You are missing the point, it may not have been a sin if there was no law regarding these things at the time but, they are not righteous acts.

Can you not concede that there was a time during which he wasn't acting unrighteously?
    From creation to seeing the tree, or hearing about it, there must have been an elapse of time.
    This moot point is becoming so nit-picking as to become ridiculous.

Romans 5

Verse:

• 6, 10 - The timeframe for the writing is in that present period (and subsequently up to our day and beyond)
    • 12 - sin enters into the world through Adam
    • 13 - Sin continued in the world by various misdeeds, however none of this could really be imputed until the Mosaic law
    • 14 - clarifies that it is the Mosaic law that is being focussed upon, not any Edenic covenant
    • 15-19 - further discourse on the effects of Adamic sin and necessity of grace
    • 20 - the law showed up a variety of sins, however grace coveres them all

The context of this chapter is set in a debate about the requirements of the law, which Pauline theology argues against. Paul shows that it isn't the law which is incumbent upon the Christian with the power to save, but rather grace which abounds.

Chapter 4 talks specifically about those that are uncircumcised, and chapter 6 is clearly talking about something extraneous to inherited Adamic sin from the outset.

"Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound." (Romans 5:20) I wonder who Paul was speaking about here???

The whole of sinful mankind from Adam (in a fallen state) through to ourselves.

LT wrote: "What was the benefit of law in connection with Christ?"
    DD wrote: as Romans 5 teaches, to bring about sin.

You what???
    Law didn't bring about sin, it just revealed it as sin. From that realisation we can see our need of Christ!

LT wrote: "So by what means is God righteous?
    You'll surely agree that he's not subject to law, nor able to sin."
    DD wrote: By means of his authority! He determines what's right and what's not.

That's the determination as to what is right and wrong, but He acts rightly (which is really a no-brainer, since He is that absolute standard, as you alude to).

EW:

Do you think A&E would have partook of the fruit if God kept silient about the tree? (I would say no because theres no intrest)
    Or did this peak their intrest right at the start.

Oh my giddy aunt!
    So you're now falling on the side of the "God tempted Adam" brigade, are you?
    The serpent was the tempter, remember?
    Why was there no recorded hooharr made by Adam concerning the "Tree of Life", if that were the case?

Pul-ease, look at the verse "if a law had been given" In Adams case was a law given?

I would say so, but that's clearly not the (or even a) law that is being spoken of by Paul to the Galatians.
    Sorry dude, he's talking about the Mosaic law again, as a refutation of the Judaisers.

Brad:

your faith is no more provable than my lack of faith

You miss my point.
    I know my redeemer liveth.
    You know your mom lives.
    I'm not trying to convince you, for only God can do that Himself, which is the whole premise of this thread.

Why did God not create Adam and Eve at the same time?

I was leaving that for Ozzie, since you addressed it to him.

• First things first - it's a story!
    • Secondly, which came first, the chicken or the egg, or did God create one of each to keep both happy
    • Third - it's a story!
    • Fourth - There are a couple of creation accounts in the first few chapters of the bible, likely written by different sources (see "Who Wrote the Bible")
    • Fifth - how come you can't see that it's just a story, Mr. Liberal back-sliding wannabe-a-Christian?
    • Sixth - There's a differentiation between God's planning cycle, as argued about earlier in the thread regarding the Lapsarian Controversy, and His realtime / runtime creation activities
    • Seventh - which is a holy number and assuredly there to nail the point - dude, please - talking snake, fig leaves, spinning flamey sword type thingy - it's a story!

Of course, for the sake of argument, don't tell DD and EW that I gave you that list!

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

LT,

You're hillarious. (And I honestly mean that..... I'm not being sarcastic.)

But isn't Christianity based on that "story"? I'm honestly still trying to find "God" or utopia myself......although I am certain that I am closer to it than I was when I was a JW...... ... , but it is hard for me to accept Christianity as being infallible. And I know, LT, that you are likely wanting to say that finding God is not so easliy defined or classified as just being Christian, so I admit that I use that term loosely.

Brad

• gumby
    gumby
    And I know, LT, that you are likely wanting to say that finding God is not so easliy defined or classified as just being Christian, so I admit that I use that term loosely.

Finding God shouldn't have to be a hide and seek game with a loving father with lost kids. Most dads go looking for their kid when they are lost, yet the bible god wants you to seek him. Cool dad eh?

Gumby

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

Gumby,

Good point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you noticed that they really don't like to answer OUR questions yet they will debate forever about their own interpretations of what was REALLY meant when the Bible said yadda yadda.

In my very humble opinion........... oh who the hell am I pretending to be....... I have seen enough bullsh*t in my life by Christians (and not just JW's) that I have a very hard time accepting it as being the WAY to happiness/god/salvation.

As the "topic" says, I feel free to choose god as I see him to be. My perception of him works for me. If my opinion works for anybody else, then great, but I refuse to have any followers. I wouldn't feel right about people following me...... bad things happen when people follow.

Brad

• gumby
    gumby
    Have you noticed that they really don't like to answer OUR questions yet they will debate forever about their own interpretations of what was REALLY meant when the Bible said yadda yadda.

Hi Brad....nice to have you here.

Actually, many here are pretty good about discussing and debating. Sometimes, when a person of any belief doesn't know the exact answer to something, it's easier to dodge the question, or deflect the conversation away from your main point.....it's human nature, although a bad trait. Many times their interpretations ARE their answers.

Anyways....you'll like us buncha arguin heathen apostate bastards

Gumby

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

Gumby,

I have loved reading your posts and I will continue to do so. The world needs people who throw a new twist on life.

I'm not blowing smoke up your a**. But at the risk of being accused of doing such a thing, I felt that you still deserved credit where it is due. Keep 'em coming, Gumby.

Brad

• justhuman
    justhuman

That was a long post. To make it short for me it is simple. Jesus said that I'm the way of life. Believing in Jesus is enough for me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit