by UnDisfellowshipped 774 Replies latest watchtower bible

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Deputy Dog said:

UnDis

Did God create sin and death?
    You tell me.

Gen 2:16

And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:

Gen 2:17

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat" (is the law not a teacher that reveals sin) of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. (die, death mean the same thing don't they) Did Adam and Eve create the sin of eating the fruit of the tree or did God? It looks like God revealed the sin before they ever thought of it. Did God create death (the penalty for sin) or did Adam and Eve? My bottom line. Did God reveal sin to Satan or did Satan reveal sin to God? D Dog

God did indeed create death as the punishment of sin, as this Scripture shows:

Romans 8: 20-21: For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

God did create the freedom to choose to sin OR to choose to NOT sin, inside of Satan.

Did God cause Satan to sin? Did God actually create the first sin by Satan? Or was Satan responsible for it?

Who was responsible for the first sin -- God or Satan? You tell me.

The Bible says God created Satan as a completely perfect glorious angel. Did God cause Satan to sin? Or did Satan sin of his own free will?

Did God cause Adam and Eve to sin? Or did they sin of their own free will? Who was responsible for Adam's sin -- Adam or God?

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Deputy Dog said:

UnDisfellowshipped

Before I take your "test", I'm still trying to understand what you're saying.

First you say:

(Quoting UnDisfellowshipped:) God desires ALL HUMANS to be saved (End of Quote)

Then you said

(Quoting UnDisfellowshipped:) Jesus Himself explained that God does NOT choose to enlighten all people

I never said that everyone is given a choice. I said that God chooses whom He wants to enlighten, and then He gives that person a choice of choosing to repent or to reject Jesus.

From the Bible, it appears that God never did enlighten Pharoah (End of Quote)

All these things can't be true, can they?

Well, Deputy Dog, are you saying that the Bible "can't be true"? Because that is where I got both of those statements from.

The Bible is undeniably, unchangeably clear that God DESIRES all people to be saved -- unless you're saying that the Apostle Paul LIED?

1st Timothy 2:3-6: For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time

But then, my Lord Jesus Christ also said:

John 6: 44: No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Deputy Dog,

I look forward to seeing your answers to my questions I posted.

Especially this question:

* Does God DESIRE that all men be saved, or does God only desire that certain men be saved who were foreordained for salvation?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

DD:I apologise, in advance, for the unusual (for me) length of this post. I'm also acutely aware that I'm not doing the subject any kind of justice - I considered scrubbing it several times, because I believe it to be truly awful. However I offer you my humble musings:

"God"I'll begin (although the subject has been articulated by far greater minds than mine) with my concept of "God" (and please be aware that it is is only a concept, full of the usual placeholders that man uses to remain relatively sane) which is that "He" is infinite, eternal and unchangable. That within this boundless "eternity", time and the physical universe were created. This being the case "God" is in every second of every hour within an instant, endless now. This being the case "God" is in every molecule and the space between, within and instant, endless everywhere.

Time and the physical universe are but a teardrop in such eternity. Created in an instant, and played out endlessly yet instantly.

Lets attempt to take that down to a human level, however, as we are (at one level) time and space bound creatures, as viewed from the material level.

Foreknowledge
    It appears that "God" is able to see the future. Whether this is in an absolute, limited or self-limited sense is a consideration, but I'm going to go for an absolute sense. The JW idea of "God" limiting "Himself" seems vaguely ridiculous, and is IMO only a cop-out for the "Adam's sin dilemma".

If this it the case, then at the very least "God" should be able to foresee (hence foreknow, to use biblical vernacular) who would respond to "Him" and connect to the Divine, and hence state beforetime who would or would not be "saved".

This thusfar takes in the Arminian perspective of "God's" foreknowledge, but what about the Calvinists further assertion that it was not just by the foreknowledge of "God" that these things were known, but rather by the fact that "God" actually predestined such things to occur?

Predestination
    The way I came to my current understanding of this was considering that "God" (through foreknowledge) might only actually extend "His" offer to those predisposed to accept it. This would be an economy of grace, wherein "His" begining a work would not go unfinished (as in, "the Word that departs from His mouth shall by no means return to him void"). It also should spark some kind of human compassion in who have "connected", to help their fellowman to connect. In this regard I find intriguing the comment by one evangelist who stated (and I paraphrase) that he was a Calvinist on his knees, but an Arminian in the manner in which he presented the Gospel ("good news" about freedom in Christ) in the pulpit.

Double-PredestinationThe difficulty of taking this to the additional step of saying that "God created all, including every strand of time and space, and the paths of the molecules therein" is that it adheres to the tenets of Predestination, but lines up "God" to be accused of setting up double-predestination. That latter stance would place "God" as setting the ball rolling, by design, oblivious to the pain and anguish that it would cause.

The issue of suffering is also brought to light. Whilst at one level it can be said that adversity builds character, and if we inhabit the eternal it is but a drop in the bucket of our experience, the extremes that we see seem to go beyond the bounds of all such requirement. If, indeed, an individual were already condemned before birth, what purpose does this serve?

I believe the Hyper-Calvinists are giving tacit approval to this doctrine, through their [in]actions.

Several, but by no means exhaustive, options
    Several of these options use special pleading of "well God can do anything, hence it's limiting Him to say that he cant do or will not do something if He so wishes".

Either "God" set the ball rolling, oblivious to the consequences of "His" creative actions,or
    He watched and occasionally prodded (with a very long stick) what happened, or
    He did the same, but foreknew everything that would come to pass, or
    He actively created everything to occur just the way it does.

The suffering saint conundrumThere is some comfort in the latter view, in that it makes sense of the senseless (as a placeholder).
    I say this because a stance can then be taken that everything happens for a purpose, however it's just that we don't know what it is yet.
    "God", therein, has an overarching masterplan for the whole of time / space. Within this plan is the part that each of us play as individuals. Within those sub-plans are such details that "He" deems fit to reveal to us. We may even go in entirely the "wrong" direction, with it taking on the appearance of the correct route, only to learn important lessons and be brought back round to where we should actually be.

If we are to believe that "He" has out best interests at heart, then regardless of how difficult the going may become we can be convinced that "all things work to the good of those that love Him".

The Hell dilema
    The downsides to such a proposition is that unless all are going to connect, and thus some are purged more radically in the fire of human existance, why so much suffering for those that will never connect to the Divine. Further, if they are to suffer some kind of eternal perdition, is "God" not ultimately responsible for this?

Conclusion
    I find comfort in the concept of predestination (this side of "connection") but find the idea of double-predestination monstrous. The whole doctrine (of predestination) sets forth a dichotomy between God's Sovereignty, and the responsibility issue. Either "God" is responsible, or in some way man is. If all of mankind are given the opportunity (and that need not necessarily be an opportunity in equal measure) to connect to the Divine, surely the responsibility must rest (at least to some degree) on man.

I think this shows either some of the weaknesses of taking extreme views, else our total inability to grasp "God's" logic.

It also shows that is we are to take the whole "bible" as a single, unified and correct (from God's standpoint, not humans) tome, then we have some serious difficulties to surmount.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

UnDisfellowshipped After reading your "test" for about the tenth time, I have decided not to take it because I would probably fail. Unless I can change your questions around the way you changed mine. I asked this question;

What is so special about those that choose God?

and you said

I would change that question around and ask: What is so wrong with those that reject God?

You seem to think that people go to hell simply because they reject God or the gospel. I thought that I was already going to hell because of my sins (the ones I committed before I ever knew anything about the gospel), so when I herd about what Jesus did for me, I thought it was already a done deal. I didn't think about rejecting or accepting anything. For me it was just, Thankyou Jesus! You make it sound like God reveals himself and says; lets make a deal. I can't picture God anything like Monty Hall. God didn't offer me a choice. He gave me his Son before I was born. D Dog

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Undis,

From the Bible, it appears that God never did enlighten Pharoah, or if He did, Pharoah rejected God.

Wait a minute, didnt you say;

God desires ALL HUMANS to be saved -- Jesus died for ALL HUMANS:

Doesnt Pharoah get a chance? Or how bout Esau?

Well, how did anyone in the Bible choose not to bow down to false gods?
    Undis, did you NOT read the passage? God states I HAVE RESERVED FOR MYSELF. What part of reserved infers they had a choice?

What about this Scripture in Joshua?

Joshua 24: 14-15: "Now therefore, fear the L ord , serve Him in sincerity and in truth, and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the River and in Egypt. Serve the L ord ! And if it seems evil to you to serve the L ord , choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the L ord ."

What about it? Does his household have a choice?

Deuteronomy 30:15-20:......... Are you saying that those Israelites did NOT actually have freedom to choose, even though the Bible says that they did?

Is it in our power to love God?

Ellderwho said:
    2. Why was Israel seeking an unable to obtain it?

I'll let the Scriptures answer:

Romans 11:8: "GOD GAVE THEM A SPIRIT OF STUPOR, EYES TO SEE NOT AND EARS TO HEAR NOT, DOWN TO THIS VERY DAY."

Stay in context undis, dont jump right to verse 8 without considering what verse 5 states;

5 In the same way then, there has also come to be at the present time a R531 remnant according to God's gracious F184 choice.

Do you see why Israel was unable to obtain it?

This is the same problem you had with Mannesseh in 2Chron.33:10-12 Your giving man the credit.

Jesus Himself explained that God does NOT choose to enlighten all people:

Mark 4:11: And He said to them, "To you it has been given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God; but to those who are outside, all things come in parables,

Your point is weak.

I never said that anyone is "entitled" to a choice. I base my beliefs on the Scriptures, the Word of God.

The Bible shows that God chooses whom He wants to enlighten, and then they are given a choice and are given time to choose whether or not to repent.

I think the Scriptures I posted above should answer your questions.

Ellderwho said:

Undis you want God on your terms not his.

I take God at HIS WORD. I base my beliefs and faith ONLY on His Inspired, Holy, Infallible Scriptures.

Can you refute ANY of my statements using the Scriptures?

Undis, Ive showed you refutations to your arguments, you continue to give empty statements like;
    From the Bible, it appears
    It appears what? Appears to you? It appears you dismiss Gods sovereignty when shown a rebuttal to your so-called choice after enlightenment. I too will not take your test. I suggest a long study of Romans 9 when pondering this thought of yours;
    * Does God DESIRE that all men be saved, or does God only desire that certain men be saved who were foreordained for salvation?
    Lets stick to one question at a time and work with it. BTW you never answered about Mannessahs choice. E.
  • UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Ellderwho said:

Undis,
    (Quoting UnDisfellowshipped:) From the Bible, it appears that God never did enlighten Pharoah, or if He did, Pharoah rejected God. (End of Quote)
    Wait a minute, didnt you say;
    (Quoting UnDisfellowshipped:) God desires ALL HUMANS to be saved -- Jesus died for ALL HUMANS: (End of Quote)

Doesnt Pharoah get a chance? Or how bout Esau?

Ellderwho, you make it sound like I am making up the fact that God desires all men to be saved. Ellderwho, I have asked YOU and Deputy Dog SEVERAL TIMES, did the Apostle Paul write that "God desires all men to be saved" or did he NOT write that statement, in 1st Timothy Chapter 2? Did the Apostle Paul lie when writing that statement? Or is it that you just choose to ignore that statement because it does not fit in with your belief system? What did the Apostle Paul mean when he made that statement? Just because God desires all men to be saved does not mean that He is obligated to enlighten anyone. No one at all deserves to be enlightened. It is only by God's GRACE and MERCY and LOVE that anyone is ever enlightened. God was not obligated to enlighten Pharaoh or Esau, or even Moses or Abraham. Salvation is a FREE GIFT which cannot be earned or deserved by anyone at all. God chooses to offer this FREE GIFT to whoever He so chooses according to His will. Ellderwho said:
    Undis, did you NOT read the passage? God states I HAVE RESERVED FOR MYSELF. What part of reserved infers they had a choice?
    Look at the context, what was God speaking about? Romans 11:3-4 (NKJV): "L ord , they have killed Your prophets and torn down Your altars, and I alone am left, and they seek my life"? But what does the divine response say to him? "I have reserved for Myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal." God was talking about reserving His people ALIVE, in other words, safeguarding them and keeping them LIVING. God was not discussing reserving people for eternal salvation in that particular Verse. Ellderwho said:

(Quoting UnDisfellowshipped:) What about this Scripture in Joshua?

Joshua 24: 14-15: "Now therefore, fear the L ord , serve Him in sincerity and in truth, and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the River and in Egypt. Serve the L ord ! And if it seems evil to you to serve the L ord , choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the L ord ." (End of Quote)

What about it? Does his household have a choice?

Did Joshua or did Joshua not say that those people had to CHOOSE who they were going to worship? Are you saying that Joshua was forcing his household to believe in God? What are you trying to say? Look at the rest of the context: Joshua 24:19-25: But Joshua said to the people, "You cannot serve the L ord , for He is a holy God. He is a jealous God; He will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins. If you forsake the L ord and serve foreign gods, then He will turn and do you harm and consume you, after He has done you good." And the people said to Joshua, "No, but we will serve the L ord !" So Joshua said to the people, "You are witnesses against yourselves that you have chosen the L ord for yourselves, to serve Him." And they said, "We are witnesses!" "Now therefore," he said, "put away the foreign gods which are among you, and incline your heart to the L ord God of Israel." And the people said to Joshua, "The L ord our God we will serve, and His voice we will obey!" So Joshua made a covenant with the people that day, and made for them a statute and an ordinance in Shechem. Now, you answer me, please -- did Joshua say that those people CHOSE God for themselves, or did Joshua NOT say that? What does that statement mean? You tell me. Ellderwho said:

(Quoting UnDisfellowshipped:) Deuteronomy 30:15-20:......... Are you saying that those Israelites did NOT actually have freedom to choose, even though the Bible says that they did? (End of Quote)

Is it in our power to love God?

It is NOT within our power to love God UNTIL we have been enlightened and UNTIL we have The Holy Spirit leading us to repentance and convicting us of our sins. My question remains: "Are you saying that those Israelites did NOT actually have freedom to choose, even though the Bible says that they did?" Ellderwho said:
    (Quoting UnDisfellowshipped:) Ellderwho said:
    2. Why was Israel seeking an unable to obtain it?

I'll let the Scriptures answer:

Romans 11:8: "GOD GAVE THEM A SPIRIT OF STUPOR, EYES TO SEE NOT AND EARS TO HEAR NOT, DOWN TO THIS VERY DAY." (End of Quote)

Stay in context undis, dont jump right to verse 8 without considering what verse 5 states;

5 In the same way then, there has also come to be at the present time a R531 remnant according to God's gracious F184 choice.

Do you see why Israel was unable to obtain it?

That in no way contradicts what I have been saying all along. God chooses whom He wants to enlighten, and He chooses whom he does NOT want to enlighten. It is God who chooses us first. Ellderwho said:

This is the same problem you had with Mannesseh in 2Chron.33:10-12 Your giving man the credit.

I'm giving man the credit? The only thing man deserves is to be sent to Hell for eternity. Am I giving man too much "credit"? Manasseh rejected God for YEARS, then God brings affliction upon Manasseh, so that ONLY THEN, does Manasseh choose to humble himself and repent and be saved, AFTER God causes him affliction and pain. God chose Manasseh first, then it was up to Manasseh to choose whether or not to "humble himself". Manasseh could have chosen to harden his heart even further and completely reject God, but he did not do that. 2nd Chronicles 33: 21-23: Amon was twenty-two years old when he became king, and he reigned two years in Jerusalem. But he did evil in the sight of the L ord , as his father Manasseh had done; for Amon sacrificed to all the carved images which his father Manasseh had made, and served them. And he did not humble himself before the L ord , as his father Manasseh had humbled himself; but Amon trespassed more and more. That Scripture is showing that Amon COULD HAVE chosen to humble himself just like his father did, but he refused to do so. Ellderwho said:

(Quoting UnDisfellowshipped:) Jesus Himself explained that God does NOT choose to enlighten all people:

Mark 4:11: And He said to them, "To you it has been given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God; but to those who are outside, all things come in parables, (End of Quote)

Your point is weak.

Are you saying that Jesus' statement was weak or what are you saying? Jesus showed clearly that God only enlightens the people He chooses -- so that they can understand the "mystery of the Kingdom of God". John 6:44 shows that God The Father does NOT choose to draw all people to Jesus, but only the ones He chooses. Ellderwho said:

Undis, Ive showed you refutations to your arguments, you continue to give empty statements like;
    (Quoting UnDisfellowshipped:) From the Bible, it appears (End of Quote)
    It appears what? Appears to you?

From Romans Chapter 9, it appears that Pharaoh was never enlightened by God, however that cannot be absolutely stated, because no where in the Bible does it say "Pharaoh was not given a chance to repent". It makes it sound like Pharaoh was not given a chance, but it does not directly state this. Ellderwho said:
    It appears you dismiss Gods sovereignty when shown a rebuttal to your so-called choice after enlightenment.

Do I dismiss God's sovereignty? Here are my Bible-based beliefs about God and His Sovereignty: * God created all things. * God knows all things -- past, present, future. * God exists outside of time and space -- He created time and space -- He exists in ETERNITY. * God is totally, completely, absolutely Sovereign -- Everything that happens was either caused by Him OR allowed by Him. Nothing can happen without God allowing it to happen. * God is Omnipresent -- in all places at the same time. * God is Almighty -- He has no limit to His power. * God is infinitely Holy, infinitely Loving, infinitely Just, and infinitely Wise. * Nothing can surprise God. God knew every minute detail of what would happen before He ever created anything. Do I dismiss God's sovereignty?

Ellderwho said:
    I too will not take your test

That's fine. Those are my sincere questions about your beliefs, but you don't have to answer them, even though I would like to understand your beliefs better. Ellderwho said:

I suggest a long study of Romans 9 when pondering this thought of yours;
    (Quoting UnDisfellowshipped:) * Does God DESIRE that all men be saved, or does God only desire that certain men be saved who were foreordained for salvation? (End of Quote)

I have studied Romans Chapter 9 ALOT, and I am going to study it again right here, and comment on it: Romans 9:10-13 (NKJV): And not only this, but when Rebecca also had conceived by one man, even by our father Isaac (for the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls), it was said to her, "The older shall serve the younger." As it is written, "Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated." My comments: God chose to enlighten Jacob, but He chose NOT to enlighten Esau. Why? Because He is God and He wanted to. Romans 9:14-18 (NKJV): What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not! For He says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion." So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy. For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, "For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth." Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens. My comments: God has mercy on whomever He chooses. God hardens whomever He chooses. Because He is Sovereign. Amen! Like I said before, it does indeed appear that Pharaoh was NOT ever enlightened by God, but I can't be 100% certain on that. Romans 9:19-24: You will say to me then, "Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?" But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, "Why have you made me like this?" Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor? What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory, even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles? My comments: God does what He chooses to do. Humans are just clay in God's hands. He can choose to enlighten us or He can leave us in the dark. Ellderwho said:

Lets stick to one question at a time and work with it.

Sounds good. Which question do you want to start with? Ellderwho said:

BTW you never answered about Mannessahs choice. E.

I could have sworn that I already answered your questions using Scriptures in the Trinity Thread, but if not, I apologize. Above in this same post, I have given my final answer for your Manasseh questions, using the Bible.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Deputy Dog said:

After reading your "test" for about the tenth time, I have decided not to take it because I would probably fail.

My so-called "test", was simply a list of sincere questions that I truly would like to know your answers for, so I can understand your beliefs better. Deputy Dog said:

You seem to think that people go to hell simply because they reject God or the gospel. I thought that I was already going to hell because of my sins (the ones I committed before I ever knew anything about the gospel), so when I herd about what Jesus did for me, I thought it was already a done deal. I didn't think about rejecting or accepting anything. For me it was just, Thankyou Jesus!

All people are born in sin -- left on their own, they will die in their sins and go to Hell for eternity, eternally separated from God. Hebrews 10: 28-29: Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? The Bible shows that those who have been enlightened and reject Christ will receive a MUCH WORSE PUNISHMENT in Hell than those who died under Moses' Law. Did you not repent of your sins and put your faith in Christ as your personal Savior and Lord and then you were Born Again? Or are you saying that you were already Born Again before doing this? Deputy Dog said:

You make it sound like God reveals himself and says; lets make a deal. I can't picture God anything like Monty Hall.

I can't either. That is a scary thought. God offers a FREE GIFT to whomever He chooses. It is up to that person to accept or reject the gift. Think of it this way: A man, who cannot swim, is drowning. Another person comes along and offers him a lifesaver. The drowning man then rejects the lifesaver, and hence drowns. The man was going to drown already, but the other man did offer him the chance to live, but he rejected it and drowned. A man, who is born in sin, is on his way to Hell. God comes and offers Him the free gift of everlasting life. The man then rejects the free gift, and hence goes to Hell. The man was on his way to Hell already, but God did offer him the chance to live, but he rejected it and went to Hell. Deputy Dog said:

God didn't offer me a choice. He gave me his Son before I was born.

The Bible says that God gave His Son for the WHOLE WORLD of ungodly sinners. But why are not all of them saved? There are two reasons: 1: God did not enlighten them. 2: God did enlighten them, but they rejected Him.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

DDog:

I thought that I was already going to hell because of my sins (the ones I committed before I ever knew anything about the gospel), so when I herd about what Jesus did for me, I thought it was already a done deal. I didn't think about rejecting or accepting anything. For me it was just, Thankyou Jesus! You make it sound like God reveals himself and says; lets make a deal. I can't picture God anything like Monty Hall. God didn't offer me a choice. He gave me his Son before I was born.

Beautiful!!!
    Aint that the bottom line! Undis:
    Your "test" isn't just to get to know someone's viewpoint better at all. It's a list whereby someone can feel smug and judge another's righteousness, all tied up with a neat little bow entitled "it was the scriptures that condemned him!".
    Don't do it, bro...
    Young children can be "saved", and all they need is "Thank you Jesus!"

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Thanks LT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit