Freedom to Choose God

by UnDisfellowshipped 774 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

DDog:
    Incidentally:

IMHO four point Calvinism ("moderate Calvinism") is not Calvinism at all

So you're confessing to being a Hyper Calvinist, then?

Moderate Calvinism contains folks of the Supra / Infra / Sub categories.
    Whilst I wonder about the validity of Four-point Calvinism as a form of Calvinism, they only make up the Sub category and are hence only a part of that section of Calvinists. Just as Hyper Calvinists only make up a part of the Supra's

Personally I like to be moderate in all my habits

• Terry
    Terry

I know nothing about this subject. But, let me open my big mouth anyway.

Let us take a coin-flip and experiment with Predestination and Foreordination, just for fun to discover first principles.

It is foreordained that there will be two categories of result to a coin flip.

1.Heads 2.Tails

It is inescapable that the above shall occur. It is not the teacher of statistical analysis who does the ordaining, notice, it is the nature of the coin itself!

Secondly, AFTER the coin-flip has happened (in the case of each and every individual penny) a unique determination results. This particular penny has revealed its own nature to be (a)Head (b)Tail.

Where does Predestination enter the picture? Only for each PARTICULAR penny. The physics of being tossed, the circumstances of the toss, the dynamics of the height of the toss, etc. TEST the very essence of the penny in terms of its response. In those PARTICULARS the result (for that penny alone) are foreordained.

Mathematics reveals that RANDOM does not exist. If you don't believe that just flip a handful of pennies for an hour and list the results.

Half will be heads and half will be tales. It is foreordained. We call it the Law of Probability. Why is it a law? Variance (in the long run) is impossible.

People who do not study Statistics find it counter-intuitive. Math-deficiency works against having a "feel" for such discussions.

Conclusions: For the general category of PENNY we can state without possibilty of contradiction that all coin tosses will follow the head/tail destiny.

Now, substitute the words SALVATION for "heads" and DESTRUCTION for "tails" and reread what is written above.

Does this help the discussion any?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Terry:

Does this help the discussion any?

Sorry, none at all, because it presupposes that "grace" is at the flip of a coin. Your example would be how "justice" would be inacted, if salvation were just a mathematical probability.

Grace overrides justice, at the whim of your proverbial penny-flipper

• gumby
    gumby
    Grace overrides justice

Who's this Grace you keep takin bout LT.....did I meet her in Dallas?

Gumby

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby:

Who's this Grace you keep takin bout LT.....did I meet her in Dallas?

You missed her?
    Sorry to hear that, dude.

Well, she wasn't hiding in my sporran, that's for sure!

Edited to Add:
    I'm curious. When you were in your "Christian" phase, where did you sit on this whole issue, Gumby?

• gumby
    gumby
    I'm curious. When you were in your "Christian" phase, where did you sit on this whole issue, Gumby?

Do you mean predestination/foreordination?

I believed god gave man freewill and let him exercise it..........and saw it all ahead of time, which is how god could foreordain certain ones ahead of time. He watched the "show" before it was written and produced, saw it fail temporarily, but went ahead and wrote/produced the "show" anyway because he knew it had a good ending, and so he required belief on mans part that gods final act had a good ending, and would reward him if he would just believe till then.

This was another nail in the bible coffin for me because it never made sense as well as the trinity. How a god who made us in his image, could expect his children to understand his reasoning and believe there is a good reason for letting man suffer, was never something I could comprehend.

Gumby

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

LT First let me say thank you for the time and effort you have put into this discussion. I just wish you had done this earlier! This thread has caused me to think through my position on these issues, much more than I was prepared to at its start. Let me give you some of my background for this discussion. Until just a few years ago, I held the "four point position". Probably because it was the only one I was exposed to. As I began to share my faith, I found it very hard to defend. This, along with a "Calvinist" friend, helped me to rethink some of these issues. I was then exposed to a debate between Dr. Norman Geisler and Dr. James White. Dr. Geisler, who holds to what he calls (in his book Chosen But Free) "moderate Calvinism" which is more commonly known as "four point Calvinism". The problem, is not so much that he holds a different position, but the way the book characterizes the Reformed Faith as "extreme Calvinism". He goes so far as implying that John Calvin did not teach "Limited Atonement" as we know it. James R. White on the other hand, IMHO, sets the record straight, in his book The Potter's Freedom (A Defense of the Reformation and a Rebuttal of Norman Geisler's Chosen But Free) I say all this because your posts are redefining terms for me which may be leading to some of my confusion. For example: "Hyper Calvinist" to me this is describing something Calvin didn't teach. I know, these labels can be helpful, but, they can complicate things as well. I have to say I don't feel comfortable with the label "Calvinist" let alone what type. I do however believe all five points of Calvinism or TULIP. As far as Infralapsarianism and Supralapsarianism I see good and bad on both sides, so lets leave the doors open for now. One thing I will say, it seems to me that Supralapsarians focus on the Elect, while the Infras focus on man in general. As for the Romans 9 passage

Has it escaped your notice that we were ALL vessels of clay fitted for destruction?

I don't see that in this text.

The analogy of the vessels is to declare the rightness of God's actions, not to make a distinction about the reprobate.

I think this is demonstrated by the fact that we came from the same lump of clay. tolerated with much long-suffering vessels of wrath made fit for destruction I see this as referring to God's common grace being extended to " vessels of wrath" It says the "vessels of mercy", ... "he prepared beforehand". in Christ. Does that make me a Supralapsarian D Dog

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby:
    That would be the Arminian position, and IMHO when folks feel they have "fallen from grace" as that system indicates from it's theology, they tend to go completely off the rails or beat themselves up REALLY badly.

For a while I worked through some of their theological positions, too (without knowing I was doing it, as I was reading the Bible alone, throughout my doctrinal transitions), but found it extremely dissatisfying.

For a single example. If someone "comes to Christ" and joins the family, how is it possible for a loving Father (allegedly with perfect love) to turn His back on that child? I don't think it is (but maybe I'm just being too humanistic ).

Thanks for posting that. I don't think you've shared it before.

DDog:
    I have to confess that when this thread started I didn't take it too seriously. I have engaged in far too many, and it was at the end of a crop of text-slinging threads that Hooberus had created.
    It was only after I came back from a break in posting that I had another look (as it had lasted the course, and some interesting comments were coming out). This last week I've personally found it really interesting, mainly from the point of engaging my mind to express my position and hear how others reason on these things. I'm indebted to you, too, for that

I was just yanking your chain with the Hyper-Calvinist comment, btw That really is at the extreme end of Christianity and is usually rabid fundamentaist combined with a non-evangelical approach.

As far as Infralapsarianism and Supralapsarianism I see good and bad on both sides, so lets leave the doors open for now.

I agree.

One thing I will say, it seems to me that Supralapsarians focus on the Elect, while the Infras focus on man in general.

I disagree - LOL - I see it the other way around.
    IMHO The Infras concentrate on the Elect but the Supras, whilst do that too, pay more than necessary attention to the reprobate.
    That's just my opinion, though

I see this as referring to God's common grace being extended to " vessels of wrath"

IMHO this is one point that distinguishes you from Hyper-Calvinists. Their doctrine tends to erode the idea of "common grace" (yes, Gumby, she's extended to the reprobate ) as the reprobate are merely "vessels of wrath" debarred from the kingdom.

It says the "vessels of mercy", ... "he prepared beforehand". in Christ.

That would be the Elect, all right. That statement isn't in contest.

I'll be very clear why I think the terminology is important on this point ("predestined" vs "passed over").
    It's down to a very practical point about the preaching of the gospel, be it silent or otherwise.
    If you view your audience as "potentially predestined to reprobation" vs "potentially "passed over" but maybe not(!)", I think it has a big effect on how your "heart goes out". I know I'm speaking of a fine nuance here, but I do think it vitally important. Maybe it's just a personal thing.

William Grimshaw stated that he was "a Calvinist on his knees and an Arminian on his feet, and he tried to strike a balance between the two". I think that's a good balance, when demonstrating the free offer of the gospel, don't you?

John Stott comments, with admiration, on Charles Simeon's emphasis on the truth not being "at one extreme or the opposite extreme, or in a confused admixture.(but rather) at both extremes even if you cannot reconcile these extremes". I kinda like that, as a means of effecting "charity" (Nb. Gumby, she's a bedfellow of Grace).

More to come regarding the meta-context of Romans, from a LittleToeian perspective...

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

LT

Regarding "common grace" I hope you define it the same way I do. I see it as the blessings common to unbelievers and believers alike. I think this would make for a great thread sometime. Common grace vs uncommon grace

D Dog

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

DDog:
    Whilst "grace" is supplied for many things, I tend to think of the main two types as being "common-grace" and "saving-grace".

Common grace being extended to all - the sun shines on the righteous and unrighteous, with no distinction.
    Saving grace being extended only to the "Elect".

To join these comments to our previous discussion, I don't see a reciprocal "anti-grace" that is bestowed on the reprobate. All my readings seem to indicate that the reprobate get along fine other than the occasional cutting short of life (e.g. Flood / Sodom / Assyrians), or being thwarted in their attempts to cause the Elect bother, in a way contrary to His will.

(I don't tend to use the terms Elect and Reprobate in my daily speech, incidentally. I'm just using them here for theological consistancy)I've been really busy, please excuse the delay in my commentary on Romans.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit