• EyeDrEvil
    EyeDrEvil

not reaching out for privileges such as:

carrying the microphones at meetings

being in charge of the sound system

working the lit counter

etc.....................

= SPIRITUALLY WEAK BROTHER

(AVOID HIM AND HIS FAMILY. HE IS GOING TO BRING YOU DOWN INTO HIS MIRE)

• TowerWatch
    TowerWatch

I had a 2-door car and was counseled on it. I told them if they wanted to make the payments they could pick the car I drove, until then I was driving the car I wanted. They did not like that, but they never made any of my car payments either so I continued to drive my 2-door car. Wow! No wonder I'm out, bad attitude.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Women's dresses must be no higher than the knee.

And they must BE dresses, no pantsuits allowed.

Be at the assembly, even if it means losing your job.

No blood transfusions (oh, sure, the scripture says Paul? was putting "no further restrictions" on the Christian congs other than...abstain from blood. Apparently that includes having a full understanding of hemotology, including expertise on "fractional" portions of blood that are apparently okay.)

Going house to house and door to door

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    I told them if they wanted to make the payments they could pick the car I drove

I told my PO essentially the same thing when he counselled me for having a 2 door van, which was my work vehicle. I was not about to go out and buy a second vehicle just so I could play chauffeur for the congregation. I also suggested to him that since he was retired and all the kids were grown up and moved out that he could sell his large house and buy a schoolbus, which could easily solve the congregations field service transportation issues. This would also demonstrate a fine example in modesty to congregation members. He was not very receptive to my idea though.

Walter

• Englishman
    Englishman
    Eman, a 2 door car is impractical when engaging in the field service, since people with cars are always expected to take others with them. Elders can split their pants open when trying to get out of the back seat, and hot-looking pioneer sisters could possibly show a little thigh when getting out!!!

Wha-a-at?

Un-bloody-believeable!

Half the cars in the UK are of the 2 door variety!!!

This is so so so stupid!

Englishman, astonished.

• TowerWatch
    TowerWatch
    sell his large house and buy a schoolbus

I like your answer better than mine.

• undercover
    undercover

The 2 door car thing was not a hard and fast rule. Depending on the conservativeness of your area or body of elders, it might not have even been mentioned. It was "suggested" from time to time that 4 door cars were better suited for service and that everything we do is in service to Jehovah so therefore..... but it was never enforced. In fact, as a teenager and young adult, I never owned a 4 door car. I owned several muscle cars and occasionally an over zealous elder would say something snide about it, but I was not black-listed or removed from being an MS for owning them.

Some areas had more weird ideas than others. Like the pepperoni thing. I've never heard of that. There is no stigma attached to eating pepperoni in the areas that I spent time in as JW for over 30 years. But get one weirdo elder who imposes his personal opinion or practice on the friends and the next thing you know everybody thinks that it's some new "rule" from the WTS.

In fact a lot of "rules" that we remember aren't "rules". A "suggestion" or "what some christians have done" might have been mentioned on stage by an elder or CO, maybe even from the convention, but it wasn't a "rule". Over zealous and obnozious elders may have overstepped their bounds in these areas aslo. But the guilt that we felt because of how "suggestions" were conveyed compelled us to follow suggestions as rules.

• TowerWatch
    TowerWatch

If you want to get an idea of how the Watchtower makes a suggestion you might enjoy reading "Are Cats for Christians".

http://www.towerwatch.com/articles_and_stories/Stories/are_cats_for_christians.htm

TowerWatch

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Tower Watch--that was hilarious.

If only it weren't so true. It's JW rationale at its finest

• Englishman
    Englishman

This is an apostate pepperoni:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit