The TRUTH for dummies. Chapter 1

by beaker 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• trumangirl
    trumangirl

Yeh Beaker, I think the cross/stake argument is not impressive to devout JWs. It's not really something that matters much. It will put them off listening further.

I've found if you stick to prophetic interpretation when talking to JWs - eg tell them why you no longer believe in 1914 (read Carl Olof Johnson's book and ewatchman's reasonings on it), that is more acceptable to them than doctrinal arguments, because JWs know and accept that the WTS stuffs up on prophecy. Then, when they've got questions buzzing in their heads that have to be answered, they may start looking deeper into the 'truth'.

moogs

• Will Power
    Will Power

Hi Corvin: that was a typical JDub comment!

It is hard for me to give any respect to WT views. They mentally manipulate and use emotional blackmail and so called facts are arrived upon by false pretenses. Like in the "Life" book - they print misquoted people and articles, misrepresent information to get you to believe their view. Just like the stake, 607 BC, UN, blood, on and on. Or they could just like the design. In any case can the end justify the means?

Christians wearing a cross have a non verbal communique (is that a word?) that they believe Jesus is their saviour. In times of trouble it can be a safe haven if someone needs refuge & sees a church no matter if they are christian or not, it could also be a conversation starter to spread the good news - conversation stopper for JWs tho LOL.

Some carry a bible or other printed material to show their affiliation! And we all know how torturous and dangerous the bible can be in the hands of some people.

The torture symbolized is a deafening reminder every day of a Christian's life of the hope of resurrection and that like Jesus' death, ours will be temporary. That is the good news the apostles spread, Jesus' kingdom was not of this world - remember?

Good luck with the book - good idea. Check out Jnat's thread on Newbies - everything you wanted to know.....

will

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

My anonymous reader friend says:

In her book, 'The Catholic Answer to the Jehovah's Witnesses', author Louis D'Angelo provides many things that could very easily be compiled into a very useful 'list' of the kind you are talking about.

A few favorites come quickly to mind:

1) They all think and act alike. To know one is to know them all.

2) The 'Good News' they preach is not the Bible, but Armageddon.

3) They come to your door for only one reason, to tear you away from your religion.

4) They have made so many false promises and so often predicted 'the end', they are not worthy of your trust.

5) All of their beliefs about everything are totally controlled by publications from the WTS.

6) Their publications are filled with harsh and severe words of condemnation as they teach and preach that everything and everyone in life - schools, government, workplaces, churches, religion, music and entertainment, all in life, is under a 'wicked system of things' controlled by Satan.

7) Their idea of 'brotherly love' seems to be little more than a contest of who can 'sell' the most magazines, books, etc.

8) They blindly ignore real human needs as if they did not exist.

9) You will find no mention of charity or true brotherly love, but over and over you will hear and read about how evil and wicked everyone is and how everyone except for this tiny group of Jehovah's Witnesses will be violently destroyed by Jehovah at Armagedon. Soon, very soon, just around the corner.

10) There are basically 3 types of people that fall for them:

a) Those that are lonely and depressed and feel that no one cares. They will welcome the company.

b) Those that are lukewarm about God and religion and already find things wrong in the church will be easy to convince and persuade, especially if something in their lives is particularly at odds with their religion (like divorce used to be for many.)

c) Those that have a 'cross to bear' in their lives, like poverty, a marriage without love, or a life filled with arguments and problems. They will find the idea of Armageddon and the destuction of everyone - and paradise just around the corner - to be very appealing.

11) Finally (for now), D'Angelo finds the Jehovah's Witnesses to be the 'most self-centered religion imagineable'.

Take a look at it. It's extraordinary.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I have never understood in either case why the instrument of Jesus' death would be significant, or why "Christians" feel they need to venerate the instrument of Jesus' death.

I must agree with Will Power's reaction to this:

that was a typical JDub comment!

I could add: if you've "never understood", it's because you were a dub at the time and that's their teaching, eh???

For the uninformed, a christian displays a cross not as a symbol of execution but as a sign of the resurrection!! Christ is dead, Christ is risen! Get it?

Cheers, Ozzie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day beaker,

Did I show you that point from the Interlinear about Jesus dying on a cross? If I didn't, let me know, 'cos it's succinct but poerful.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Will Power
    Will Power

Thanks ozzie -

as a jw will be offended by the "torture instrument" (more symbols taken literally eh?) So a Christian is deeply offended by the "celebration" of his death. i.e. the memorial without the resurrection. A true Christian celebrates the resurrection - whole meaning of the death! You have to die before you can rise again, be born again, put on a new self, experience the awakening, live by the spirit, etc, etc. Whats that quote? Let them kill your body but not your soul?

"Literally" walking thru life can be quite hazardous.

Will

• beaker
    beaker

Hi Ozzie,

I was trying to remember where that picture came from.

I'll have a hunt around and see if i can find a copy of it somewhere.

Beaker

• little witch
    little witch

Will and Ozzie beat me to it...

Welcome to the forum Beaker, and good for you for checking into things.

If I may expound just a little more on the cross as used by christians....

Corwin spouted the jw line fed to them by the tower for years. The rank and file actually believe this to be true. The g.b. knows better. The cross is the symbol of "it is finished". For christians, it symbolizes hope and the resurrection. It is also not 'venerated". It is simply a symbol.

Whether a cross or stake is in one sense not important, but the reason for the ransom is! This is just another example of how the wt society seperated themselves from other christians it their never ending quest to be different.

Also, if the rank and file were to ever understand the meaning behind the crucifixion, their book selling days would be over, as most christians believe in faith without works is what saves a persons soul.

• jgnat
    jgnat

• Whatever you do, keep it short.
    • Use bulleted topics, much as Lady Lee did.
    • There should be plenty of white space.
    • The brochure should be no more than one page, double sided.
    • Double-space between points.
    • A picture would be nice.

A common mistake is to turn the brochure in to a rant, and cram every bit of knowledge you have gleaned on on to the page. The reader thinks, "nutters", and throws the brochure out without reading. Since the brochure must be short to be read, perhaps you should develop several short-topic brochures for different audiences, as has been suggested, such as:

• A catholic answer to the JW's
    • Understanding JW's, school-age kids ( use discernment when evaluating other religions, as well as tolerance for other beliefs)
  • Will Power
    Will Power

Good points Jnat - and I'm in the business LOL

Lady Lee shows just how that format works - each point can be pondered then more detailed thought / investigation or whatever comes from within the reader.

What a beautiful day today.

will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit