Einstein Theory of Relativity

by VM44 73 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

Long ago, in 1969, Awake! published the one and only article they ever published about Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

Einstein's theory is in the news now as the Gravity Probe B has recently been launched in order to measure the "frame dragging" predicted by general relativity theory as the probe orbits the earth.

If I remember correctly the 1969 Awake article questioned whether Einstein's theory was correct.

I doubt very much that there was anyone then, or even now, at Bethel who was even remotely qualified to question Einstein's theory, but, then again, lack of qualifications hasn't ever held the WT back from writing articles.

The WT Library CDs only have Awakes going back to 1970, so I will have to find a bound volume if I want to read that article again.

Anyone else here interested in Einstein's theory of gravitation?

--VM44

• r51785
    r51785

God Bless You VM44,

You haven't changed. You used to be too smart for the dubs, now you're too smart for the apostates!

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hiya VM44,

I looked up the Awake! article and found that it was a fairly typical WTS discussion. No criticism of Einstein or relativity, but it did say that some scientists criticize the theory because it's derived from experimental measurements rather than from basic principles. Unfortunately the writer didn't understand enough to realize that no one in 1969 knew anything of "basic principles" from which relativity could be derived, other than what Einstein had done. Of course, even today physicists don't know any such "basic principles". So you're quite right, the writer really had no idea what he was talking about.

AlanF

• onacruse
    onacruse

The basic problem for the WTS, and every other fundamentalist Bible-thumping religion is: Einstein's theory presents a verifiable explanation of the physical universe that is inconsistent with the deterministic/apocalyptic sociological goal of every religion.

He himself saw this, though only after he committed the 'greatest blunder of his life' by introducing the cosmological constant into his equations (in an effort to maintain a 'steady state'=deterministic universe).

Visit the relevant debate between Leibniz and Newton (re:determinism), among others...upon whose shoulders Einstein stood.

And then, of course, we have quantum theory, which Einstein (for all his "genius") resisted for many years.

Bottom line: these guys thought! and faced themselves, and made some darn hard changings in their perspectives of the universe, and of their place therein.

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Hi VM,

" ... qualified to question Einstein's theory ..."

Normally, a statement like this bugs me, because no one should have to be "qualified" to question something, otherwise, we would never have questioned the Watchtower and left it.

BUT ... in this case, you make a valid point, not so much because the Society is not qualified to question matters of science, but more likely they will twist, bend, and spin questions and answers into something that makes no sense.

In recent years astrophysics has questioned aspects of Einsteins theory, because it appears that light speed is not constant. The special theory of relativity may be more of a measurment problem than a phenonmenon of time warp.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Craig:

The basic problem for the WTS, and every other fundamentalist Bible-thumping religion is: Einstein's theory presents a verifiable explanation of the physical universe that is inconsistent with the deterministic/apocalyptic sociological goal of every religion.

Do you mean specifically "Young Earth Creationist"s and "Last Days"ers?

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Craig,

Einstein's theory presents a verifiable explanation of the physical universe that is inconsistent with the deterministic/apocalyptic sociological goal of every religion.

I am not sure how any of Einstein's theories would do this. Maybe you could explain.

I recall that the Society has even made vague inferences to the Special Theory of Relativity by stating that Jehovah operates outside the normal boundaries of space-time.

Yeah, right. Big J is at it again!

• Gerard
    Gerard

I believe he wanted to find the forces that relate the smallest particles (quantum mechanics) to the largest (planets and galaxies) and he theorized that gravity and time relate them, therefore the "theory of relativity". Gravity can be measured but unfortunately no one understands its origin.

Understanding nature's forces on matter should not be a threat to any religion in the 21st century . . . unless you direct a shady cult.

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Gerard,

Your are partially correct. Einstein was looking for a "unified theory" to explain gravity, light, electromagnitism, and nuclear forces. Your point about Gravity is also true of other forces in that they are all poorly understood. Gravity, however, is the least understood. - Jim W.

• Gerard
    Gerard
    it appears that light speed is not constant.

Who would have thought that one of the great constants in the universe is not constant? And I have to learn this from an XJW list....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit