Bullied JW Child

by desib77 43 Replies latest jw friends

• desib77
    desib77

I know this has been shown once before but when I read it again today and saw the boy crying in the courtroom it just made me sick with anger. I'm so angry that the JW's let their children stick out so much that they get teased and picked on. I'm angry that this boy was punished when defending himself. I feel so sorry for all of the JW children who have to go to school and be mistreated by other children because their parents are brainwashed.

Okay, I guess I'm done venting....I apologize for posting this again but I wanted to express my opinions on it...............

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/US/Bully_Boy_Sentenced_040506-1.html Mixed Message? Bullied Boy Is Sentenced to Probation After Fighting Back in School

J O N E S B O R O, Ga., May 6 ? Daryl Gray, 13, said he did everything he could think of to get relentless school bullies off his back. But when his talks with teachers and his efforts to ignore the name-calling and physical abuse failed, he finally fought back. And now he's paying for it.

Daryl, convicted of aggravated battery after he hit his classmate with a pencil, has been fined and sentenced to probation for his actions.

Daryl said the incident occurred after the boy hit him during math class earlier this year.

"I was trying to do my assignment. The student was messing with me," Daryl said on ABCNEWS' Good Morning America. "I didn't want to fight him, so I tried walking away, but when punched me, I started defending myself."

The boy Daryl hit with the pencil suffered a serious wound on his face, which has left a visible scar.

Daryl says he's never fought back at any of his bullies before, even when a boy purposely urinated on his shoes in the school restroom.

The boy's defense attorney says the judge's decision to sentence Daryl to probation will send parents and students a mixed message about how to react to bullying.

"They are taught that they cannot fight back. If they do, they will be charged under the criminal code," said Daryl's attorney, Audrey Johnson. "But as a parent, of course you don't want your children to go to a place and not feel safe and protected."

During his court hearing back in April, Judge Leslie Gresham refused to consider arguments by Daryl's lawyer that he acted in self-defense.

Daryl, a Jehovah's Witness, has been taught not to use violence against others, according to his mother, Jeanette Gray.

"He's not that type of child. He's a very mild-mannered child," Gray said.

Daryl, who cried at his sentencing hearing Wednesday, says kids at his school are still making fun of him daily even after all that he's been through.

"Most of the time they call me white," said Daryl, who is black. "It's better than what they were calling me before. But I've learned not to deal with them."

Gray was sentenced to 90 days of probation, a $332 fine and 16 days of community service.

Gray says her son no longer wants attend the school because he fears the bullying will never end.

"I talked to the teachers, I e-mailed the board of education, I did everything possible and it didn't stop," she said.

• Odrade
    Odrade

What the hell is the matter with the judge???

god, no wonder you are mad, can't believe the whole freaking community isn't mad.

• desib77
    desib77

This is the picture of him on the news website. I just feel so sorry for him......

• kls
    kls

I agree,but the one's to blame is the org. they have the money and capabilities to build schools for jws kids. Instead they spend it on stocks and publishing and what ever else. I was not a jw growing up but i had real light blond hair. i was called names and picked on all through grade school. As i had posted before when i had brought this having a school for jw kids i was talked to like i was evil, and told children are to be persecuted for their religion.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Grrrrr. Bullies make me REALLY mad. That poor kid. I remember what it was like, sticking out like a sore thumb because I was a Witness. Most bullies don't need much encouragement to pick on a kid, but JW kids have a big neon target painted on them.

Nina

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes
    JW kids have a big neon target painted on them.

That is so true Nina.

My heart breaks for that boy. I dont know what how I would handle that kind of bullying. I taught my kids at home for alot of that very reason. I think being a JW kid at school, is torment. I didnt want my kids to face that everyday. I am just thankful that now I can send them to school and not worry about them being odd balls. I mean kids have it rough anyway, kids are always going to torment each other, but even adults , many of the teachers as well, treat JW kids in a bad way with sarcassic remarks. It is terrible that the school is not punishing all those involved.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I feel sorry for that kid too. I believe his parents ought to sue the school district for allowing it to go as far as it did

JG

• Cloud Strife
    Cloud Strife

What the heck is the matter with you people, I mean ofcource its sad that this happens, but I never got bullied at school because I was a JW.

But what I realy don't understand is the talk about building JW schools and stuff...........someone who is a real JW would not say something like that

• desib77
    desib77

Cloud Strife,

That is the reason we are not JW's. As for you not getting bullied, you should be thankful for that. Not all people are as lucky.

Desi

• Cloud Strife
    Cloud Strife

I'm sorry, if this is a dumb noob question but is this a JW forum or a anti JW forum?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit