Too Posh To Push

by Englishman 52 Replies latest jw friends

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Flower

Kegels or no kegels, things arent going to be the same 'down there' after 8 lbs of human comes out.

Truer words were never spoken. Sick

Xena

It was my understanding at the time that they were unsure of the possible effects of an epidural on children. (of course this was 9 years ago) Why take a chance if you don't have to?

edited to add after doing a quick google search...there are other complications for the baby associated with having an epidural, ie higher risk of having to do a c-section or using forceps.

There can also be complications for the mother, I have heard some real horror stories about the anesthesiologist not being able to find the spinal column and also about buildups of scar tissue around the puncture. I resisted as long as I could but I had 56 hours of painful pre-labour, because I really didn't want one, and I don't think I'd go that long again. I still wouldn't exactly recommend it, but I'm glad it was there when I needed it.

Baysixforme

I breast fed immediately after delivery and continued to do so until I fell pregnant with the next child with the exception being the age difference in my third and fourth child! (Eight years is far too long to lactate)! I firmly believe that this strengthened the bonds between myself and my children.

It was a really strange experience to read this while looking at a picture of Kurt Cobain, LOL.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl
    It seems that many UK women are opting to have their babies via a Caesarian operation because they don't want to experience the pain of childbirth.

In the UK, 22% of births are by caesarean section, which is much higher than the WHO's guidelines of 10-15%. 1.5% of births are elective caesareans, so of all caesarean births, less than 5% are "optional".

What health professionals should be concentrating on is why such a high number of births are induced, involve forceps or are caesareans. Women are NOT asking for this to happen to them. The issues are staffing and resources. I think our US posters would be appalled at the maternity provisions in the UK.

• Jonty Parkin
    Jonty Parkin

Now is not the time to consider having children! We are standing at the very threshold of the righteous, New World Order, that will shortly, very very soon, any time now, be ushered in by our loving Earthly Organisation and her spiritual ally, the United Nations! Amen and Amen and Amen again for emphasis!

Now is not the time to concieve and give birth! Now is the time to sell more books and magazines, and do all we can to assist righteously disposed ones to enter the loving Organisation and make generous donations for our worldwide work of printing more books and more magazines. The message must be rehashed and regurgitated as often as possible, so that even more souls can be given the opportunity of everlasting servitude!!

Remember the golden rule:

• Do more, more, more!!!
    • Give more, more, more!!!
    • Think less, less, less!!!
  • xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Whoa. Way to go E-man. You started a women's thread flame war !

XW said:

the added wording of "natural" being attached to only a vaginal birth can add a bit of a sting to someone already feeling cheated out of something they waited a long time for and

That's a good point. From this man's viewpoint though, if I was alone in the presence of a women, and talking about the delivery, I would probably use the term "natural" just because I would feel uncomfortable saying "Vagina".

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

See, now this is why Genesis is correct!!!
    Eden had a fully functioning hospital with lots of meds 'n' stuff, and onhand duty-angels.
    Gabriel knows all there is to know about obstetrics, hence why he got to bring the good news to Mary...

THAT'S why Eve's childbirth would be painful - she got turned back from the door because her insurance was inadequate.
    For thousands of years, now, folks have been doing it the unnatural (painful) way...

~ducking and running - REALLY fast~

Anyhow, I know it's true, coz Gumby told me so...

• Mulan
    Mulan
    It seems that many UK women are opting to have their babies via a Caesarian operation because they don't want to experience the pain of childbirth.

All I can say is they just don't know what they are doing. I had three regular births and then an emergency C section for our 4th child, who had to be delivered six weeks early because of placenta previa. I was in agony afterwards, and couldn't believe anything could hurt like that. I didn't have the bikini cut, (they had to cut me vertically, from my navel down because the placenta was completely transversal, so maybe that makes a difference, but for someone who had never had any surgery, I was totally unprepared for the pain afterwards. It was a good 16 hours before the pain meds gave me enough relief to feel a little comfortable. It has to build up, and they gave it to me every eight hours.

I remember laying in the hospital bed thinking to myself that at least natural childbirth is over in a few hours. This pain was endless, and the recovery was weeks, instead of days. I know it was necessary to save us, because I was bleeding dangerously, but I can't imagine choosing it.

I also developed a cough a few days after which was terrifying because I was so worried the scar would give way when I coughed

That happened to me too, and some of my scars did break, leaving a nice wide two inch scar near my navel now. Whenever a nurse was in the room when I started coughing, she would push a pillow over my tummy, which helped a lot. You need to cough to clear your lungs but the pain was unbelievable.

Princess had her babies faster than anyone I've heard of. It must be genetic. Her grandmother and myself all had fast deliveries. They weren't pain free, but progressed really fast. Princess didn't get her epidural because by the time they arrived in the room with it, the baby was coming out. Too late.

• Angharad
    Angharad
    . I didn't have the bikini cut, so maybe that makes a difference

I had the bikini cut, and the pain after is horrendous. Although I had a long labour with the second one once it was over, it was over. Recovery from the section took ages.

BTW: The scarring from mine is not bad at all and is quite small - I think it depends on how many sections you have. I have a friend who has had three and she said her scar is really bad now because they go in each time through the old scar.

• reboot
    reboot

I think it's an odd decision unless you have to have one for medical reasons as there would have been too many negatives for me....and Ive never had an operation and would be terrified of a caesarian-hats off to all ofyou who've been brave enough to go through it...

I had my three very quickly, my first daughter in 5 hours, then at home for the second in 35 mins and my son, at home, in just 6 mins, with no one to help until the last few seconds...

The pain was unimaginable, and the uncontrollable shaking after the quick births was terrifying, but I felt a certain amount of pride at having borne them without drugs ( I just relied on lots of healthy swearing.and rescue remedy.)

The feelings that flood your system after having been through labour were incredible for me; the high that lasted days... the sheer awe that my body had given birth was a feeling I could have missed.I 'm surprised we have more than one though-you really do seem to 'forget 'the pain after a while...

the physical recovery and return to pre-pregnancy shape was very fast, which I put partly down to breast feeding too, something which was'nt the same for friend's who'd had caesarians. They tended not to feed naturally because the feeding couldnt get off to a good start due to the time that had elapsed between the anaesthetic and the first feed..

..and as for any physical imperfections due to a natural birth...I just consider them hard-won battle scars...

• Mulan
    Mulan
    physical recovery and return to pre-pregnancy shape was very fast, which I put partly down to breast feeding too, something which was'nt the same for friend's who'd had caesarians. They tended not to feed naturally because the feeding couldnt get off to a good start due to the time that had elapsed between the anaesthetic and the first feed..

I know what you mean on that one. My baby had to be taken to a special hospital for infant critical care, so I couldn't breast feed, and they wouldn't have let me do it anyway, because I was on pretty powerful pain meds, and he was so premature and weak. I rented an electric breast pump (like a milking machine............truly) and kept things going so when he came home two weeks later, I could nurse him.

He is now almost 25, about 6'2" and very robust and healthy. My scar looks bad though.

• Princess
    Princess
    My scar looks bad though.

wear it with pride...he'll always be grateful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit