Too Posh To Push

by Englishman 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Angharad
    Angharad
    I have heard how much MORE painful C sections are to recover from

It took me much longer to recover from the section, and it was very difficult to bend over and pick baby up for the first few days. I also developed a cough a few days after which was terrifying because I was so worried the scar would give way when I coughed

Personally I dont feel that the section affected bonding with the baby

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I had both children through vaginal delivery, both with epidurals and I wouldn't have had it any other way. The epidurals allowed me to experience childbirth without the distraction of pain and the coolest thing I have ever seen is Jennie's head coming out (the doctor had kindly set up a mirror so I could watch while I pushed).

Personally, I think "natural" childbirth is anything that gets you a live, healthy baby. And as for the bonding experience, nine months of confinement bonded us just fine, thanks! Not to mention looking at those wonderful little faces after wondering for so long what they looked like. I'd do it again in an instant! (If I was about 10 years younger, that is!)

Nina

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Actually, as surgery is becoming safer, recent medical studies have been demonstrating that in many cases c-sections are safer for both baby and mom. Not that they should be performed routinely of course. New evidence is showing that women who've had vaginal deliveries are at great risk in later life for things associated with the weakening of the pelvic floor: i.e. incontinence, etc. Now, it's not a reason in an of itself to have a csection, but, the findings are interesting. I researched the stats on motality/mobidity risk for me, and actually the stats were slightly better for both baby and mom to have c-sections.

I had two c-sections, first one an emergency. It still went smoothly, but the baby was at risk for laboring so long. The second I opted an elective, which my doctor was relieved I selected, and it went extremely smoothly, the baby was even healthier since I hadn't labored for hours, I was in better shape since I hadn't labored for hours (and, in my case, having had a contract inducing petocin drip and other drugs for hours.). In both cases I left the hospital early, recovered well, breastfed both of them no problem, and don't think their bonding suffered. Neither of my children had jaundice, which is quite common here.

Some women too really seem to want the experience of natural labor and birth: more power too them. Not me.

There is a lot of hype IMO about the extreme risks to mom and baby by not having a natural childbirth. The stats, however, do not bear those facts out. In the US we are running about a 25% c-section rate. A few years ago insurance company's began squawking about the expenses, and pounded on hosptials to reduce their rates. They did, and the health risk rate went up, the malpractice rates suits went up as well. Now they are not sqawking so much about the high rates.

I didn't want to have my baby in the UK because I feared I'd have complications and was told it was highly unlikely I would need a c-section, was told by my midwife that it posed high risks .

In the US, it's largely the midwife-types who are actively clamoring for reduced c-sections. Of couse there's an economic link as well as a philosophical one.

• Valis
    Valis
    All thats left from a C section is scars.

Goodby bikini line..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• ball.
    ball.

Why does everyone put "c-section"? Is it a bit like BBQ? Know one knows how to spell it???

• baysixforme
    baysixforme

Well there may be medical complications that neccessitate the need for a cesarian section and thank goodness there is the medical 'know-how' to intervene in such cases. However, I do believe (having four of my own), that natural is the way to go if possible.

All of mine were born naturally and breathing techniques were employed to assist with the associated pain.

I breast fed immediately after delivery and continued to do so until I fell pregnant with the next child with the exception being the age difference in my third and fourth child! (Eight years is far too long to lactate)! I firmly believe that this strengthened the bonds between myself and my children.

Bay64me

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

With my second child (my only son) I was in labor for 3 days, I didnt have an epidural, just the feel good stuff. Anywho he came out before the doctor could make it, so the doctor was'nt able to do an epsiotomy and the kids head was too big, so I ripped.

That is some painful pain.

• flower
    flower

Steph, OWWWIE! yikes!

ball, because its more commonly known as a c section.. but i will call it a cesarean section if it bothers you that much. tell me do all the letters of the alphabet get your dander up or just the letter c?

valis, lol. around here bikini lines went bye bye with bell bottoms and knickers lol.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Why does everyone put "c-section"? Is it a bit like BBQ? Know one knows how to spell it???

Does it matter that much to you? And fyi, "c-section" is the term anyone who knows anything about it uses today. Guess that tells us where you stand.

• bisous
    bisous

2 kids over 20 years ago with no drugs a'tall. 1st one needed forceps cuz of our big ol irish potato heads!!! lol ... breast fed too....

wouldn't have had it any other way nor again if i were in the position of making a decision.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit