New here (long)

by M@el5trom 17 Replies latest jw friends

• M@el5trom
    M@el5trom

Thanks for the replies. I'll clarify a few things. When I say I feel guilty about reading it, it is more about what would others think, not so much personally guilty - like if the book is in the car I cover it up to make sure someone doesn't see it (there are JWs where I work)

• Mum
    Mum

Welcome to the board, M. Welcome to freedom of thought and action.

Your explanation of your guilt is interesting. It is so sad that you were programmed to seek approval of others, not to listen to your own conscience. It sounds like you're on the right track. Ideas are just what they are; religious or non-religious, we can accept them or reject them.

When I left the WT (in 1979), I moved to the other side of the country to get away from the pressure. I was still brainwashed and believed I was doing wrong, but must do it in order to continue to want to live (ironic, no?).

Be patient with yourself. I recommend that you read Wayne Dyer's first and best book, Your Erroneous Zones. This particular book was a big help to me, in that it gave me permission (yes, I still needed permission from someone else for everything then) to explore new ideas and allow myself to think in new ways.

Congratulations on taking that important first step.

Best wishes and regards,

Mum/SandraC

• Maverick
    Maverick

Welcome! It is nice that both you and your wife have the same feelings. Count your blessings on that one! Take your time, read and learn. Many here have a lot of experience freeing themselves from the printing company formerly known as gods organization. The WTS is just serving the wrong god! Maverick

• codeblue
    codeblue

Welcome!!

Enjoyed reading your experience....and I hope you enjoy your stay here!

Codeblue

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Welcome!

It's great to have you here!

hugs,

Annie

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

WELCOME!

• M@el5trom
    M@el5trom

Its interesting that my wife came to most of her conclusions pretty much on her own, while I had to read books and other's experiances to "prove" to myself the same conclusions. And funny enough, she'll tell me something and it'll be something I just finished reading :)

She was in a Lutheran church prior to becoming a JW in her early teens, while I was raised a JW - I think that is what make the difference in how we reached our conclusions. It just felt wrong to her, while I had to hear it over and over again to stop justifying things.

I do count my blessings that we feel the same way now, as there was some times when she was really pushing to be more regular and I didn't want to even though I thought I was doing wrong just by feeling that way. That led to some tough questions at the time as I wasn't ready to admit that JWs might be wrong.

Mike

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Aloha Mike,

Glad you found this place..everyone here is at a different stage of exiting the Org...whether Dfd, DAd, fading, several years out or myself just plain old disgusted with the whole JW thing after 20 years of being there. Lots of good info and sharing here and a few laughs too. Welcome.

Cybs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit