A Tribute to a Dear Friend: C.K. Dexter Haven Scott (1991-2004)

by cruzanheart 19 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

This past Monday, April 19, we had Dexter put to sleep. He was almost 13 years old and we got him when he was 11 weeks old, a tiny bouncy puppy with ears that he tripped over for months. He was ever cheerful, a part of the family, loved the children and let them pull on his tail and ears and pull up on his back with no grumbles, and a very dear friend. He was scared of cats, thunderstorms, hot air balloons, baths, and getting his toenails trimmed. He knew lots of human words, but his favorites were "donut" and "grandma." In his old age, he grudgingly put up with the little puppy named Ladybug but finally deigned to cuddle with her on his bed and nuzzle her periodically.

Last winter he developed a tumor back by his left anal gland that, in spite of antibiotics and steroids, continued to grow and harden. The alternative was surgery but, assuming he would have survived the surgery, he would have most certainly been incontinent. Last weekend he stopped eating and, for the first time in 12 years, refused a plain cake donut. On Monday morning we took him to our vet, who has certainly earned the title given to the vet in "101 Dalmations": Splendid Vet, and he gently helped us through the euthanasia process. He grieved with us for, though he shuddered when we brought Dexter in for a nail trim, he fell under the spell of that merry personality and looked forward to seeing him. He gave Dexter a shot of sleeping medicine, and I held that beloved soft head in my hands until he fell asleep. Then the doctor gave him the euthanasia medicine, and it was over.

We've been preparing Jennie & Jackson for this since the winter, so, unlike with Grandpa, they had a chance to say a proper goodbye. On Sunday they could see that he was in pain and not eating and realized it was time for him to go. We got a steppingstone kit from Michael's and did an imprint of his pawprint (much against his wishes -- that earned us a grumble), and the children decorated with bits of decorative glass and we inscribed it with his name and dates of birth and death. Monday morning they said their tearful goodbyes and went off to school (I wrote notes to their teachers that they would need lots of hugs that day).

Ladybug is much subdued (for her), but is doing fine. The rest of us are still grieving but realize this was the right thing to do, and the right time.

He will be missed and forever loved.

Nina

• kat2u
    kat2u

Awwww what a sweet basset hound.My dogs are my second gereration children.I love them sooo much

and it hurts when they go, but they leave such wonderful memories and love behind.for

• Odrade
    Odrade

I'm sorry Nina, Jennie, Jackson, Chris and Ladybug. Bye bye Dex, have a donut and chase some bunnies wherever you are.

O

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Awww, That is really too bad. If it helps, I know how you are feeling as I had to take our cat to the vet for the same proceedure not too long ago. We get almost as attached to our pets as we do our children.

Be kind to yourselves. Bug

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

Oh Nina, I am so sorry to hear of your tremendous loss! Dexter sounds like a wonderful spirit that you were lucky to have in your lives, as he was lucky to have you in his life.

I know a bit of what you are going through. One of the hardest times of my life was when my childhood cat needed to be put to sleep. At that time, he had been with me for almost my entire life - we got him when I was 5, and I was in my early 20's when he died. He was an important member of my family that is sorely missed!

Time will help. The memorial you and your children made with Dexter's paw print sounds very touching.

Please know that my thoughts are with you and your family.

CF

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

What an adorable face he had!!!!! SOOO sweet!

I had to do much the same with a gorgeous cat that was born on the same day as the Grandson that lives with us.......that cat was so comical, and used to chase crumpled up balls of paper and bring them back to us like a dog would.

He developed a blockage in his system and we also went through a long period of trying one thing after another to get him back to health...but I had to "let him go" in the Vet's office and I was inconsolable for days......so I understand the enormity of the event.

Much love to you and your family........

Our pets are just furry kids...

Hugs,

Annie

• TrailBlazer04
    TrailBlazer04

My heart goes out to you and your family. I remember when I had to choose the same thing for my faithful "baby" Brandy. To this day I miss her happy goofy doggie face...(tearing up thinking of her now)...

Again, I feel for you.

TB

• Corvin
    Corvin

Sorry about your beautiful doggy.

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

I am so sorry for your loss, I know how difficult it is to lose a family member, no matter what species they are.

((((((Dexter's Family))))))))))))

Free

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

I am so sorry for your loss cruzanheart...it sure hurts to lose a pet who has been part of your family for so long.

Much sympathy to you all...Cathy L.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit