more stuff on diet sodas

by shera 87 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Good catch Bryan! You're right...anyone can post anything on the Internet.

All I know is I don't go to Tripod for solid science and medical advice. LOL

• bisous
    bisous

thanks, doc, for straightening me out on that one. I thought it was banned due to the carcinogenic studies. Interesting that instead of being banned, it was only labeled carcinogenic. Guess that is similar to cigs, eh?

I agree about the science, because our US system requires careful studies with results documented and repeated or able to be repeated, we hope to be assured of the safety of what is on the shelves.

I stick to my own personal approach however, maybe I'm paranoid. Just like to have confidence as much as possible as to what I ingest. But I also believe most anything is okay in moderation.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    In human terms, the rats that formed cancer drank 750 cans of soda/day for a lifetime. No human would ever drink that much!

• TD
    TD

I noticed that the Coca-Cola website attempts to confuse the issue by pretending to answer concerns over phosphoric acid and talking about phosphorus instead.

http://www2.coca-cola.com/contactus/myths_rumors/ingredients_osteoporosis.html

The two are not the same thing.

Phosphorus, (P) is an element. Like iron, it is also an essential mineral. Most of us don't get enough to begin with and there's hardly any in soft drinks anyway. Too much phosphorus can be a bad thing, just like iron overload can be a bad thing, but both of these conditions are indicative of something else wrong. Elevated phosphorus levels in the blood are commonly associated with kidney disfunction.

Phosphoric acid (PO(OH)3) is not naturally found in foods. It is an additive given to give certain foods a "sharp" taste. The "bite" you feel in the back of your throat when you drink cola too fast is because of the phosphoric acid. Although there is a huge amount of quackery on the web, there have been credible recent studies suggesting that excessive intake of soda pop may lead to decreased bone density in women.

e.g.

www.medscape.com/viewarticle/461898

http://enews.tufts.edu/stories/092503Tucker.htm

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Thanks for the info TD.. I'm going to do some more research on the differences between the two. That might explain why people are bringing up cola and how it relates to bone density. It didn't make sense that it's 'phosphorus' content would cause harm because it was only 2% of the daily recommended amount. But phosphoric acid might be a different story!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I stick to my own personal approach however, maybe I'm paranoid. Just like to have confidence as much as possible as to what I ingest. But I also believe most anything is okay in moderation.

A very balanced approach! You are definitely not going to do your body harm by staying away from things like aspartame!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

LOL Six! You too? I get around the 750 can/day issue by just having an IV drip of diet Coke syrup.

• was a new boy
    was a new boy
    • See WHO isn't all Evil

• The World Health Organization has finally gotten around to declaring the popular artificial sweetener aspartame a potential carcinogen
    • The ruling comes from sources with WHO’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), who said aspartame will be listed as “possibly carcinogenic to humans” in July 2023

'As always, the evidence shows how the WHO and other institutions support the agri-food industry by proposing food pyramids that promote disease. It should also be considered that the amount of chemicals that are present in our diet is not taken into account and that it can cause toxic synergies over time. We have clear evidence that food has to be as natural as possible,...

Stress coupled with artificial sweeteners can potentiate changes in the gut microbiota and lining, as well as further increase gut inflammation'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit