Princess

whatever dude

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    whatever dude

Impressive rebuttal! I win.

• ball.
    ball.

Well I think most of us know that this was all based on a classic hoax, but just to put this rubbish in it's coffin once and for all, I have decided to do an experiment in the name of science. I have just swallowed 1000 aspartame tabs with 4 and a half litres of diet coke and I feel absolutely... I'm fine honest... errr.... I'm ok really...ert;hkgjn HBK<Rm #;toykjk;d

• Princess
    Princess

Edited because I do run into you occasionally.

• wasasister
    wasasister

We live in a very health-conscious society and people are constantly reacting to fear of ill-health. Obesity, cancer, heart disease and other factors scare the hell out of most of us and we're willing to believe we can control certain risk factors. Sometimes we can and should.

The whole argument about aspertame being "evil" because it is chemical and other substances being "safe" because they are derived from plants is (sorry Rachel and Mulan), pure bunk. These are the same people who were urging me 10 years ago to try Ma Huang for weight loss because it was "herbal" and therefore harmless. I simply pointed out that opium was also herbal, but they were adamant that plants can't hurt you. The promoters of herbal substances frighten me a lot more than food companies - at least those industries are regulated to some degree, whereas the herbal medicine industry is a wild card.

At what point did we start believing that anything chemical was bad? We ARE chemicals.

I'll grant you that over-indulgence in ANYTHING can be harmful, even orange juice or exercise. The main harm in drinking diet sodas is that people tend to replace necessary water with flavored beverages and water is good for us. The occasional soda drinker is at no greater health risk than those who abstain.

Responding to fear is something I left behind when I realized Armageddon was a scare tactic to keep me in line.

Wasa, sipping a green tea at the moment...

• ball.
    ball.

Princess - I guess you would have to come a long way to run into me occasionally!

• Princess
    Princess

I thought you died ball. All that aspartame....

wasa, no need for apology, it's just an opinion. I don't think aspartame is good for you, and obviously some people are highly sensitive to it. I'm not but I still don't consume it in large quantities. I aviod sodas because they aren't a healthy choice. I probably drink a diet coke once a month at the most. I'll usually take a bottled water if there is a choice. The aspartame debate will go on. I occasionally eat yogurt with aspartame, but not buckets of it. Like I said, I'm not sensitive to it but many people are.

We need all the help we can get in the calcium department and I was just pointing out that another pitfall with cola, diet or regular, is the phosphoric acid. Whether or not it is a "significant" source of phosphoric acid is not the issue. I have read several articles stating cola as a source of phosphoric acid and something to avoid. Some people apparently need to be smacked up alongside the head with the evidence, since obviously just reading it isn't enough.

Seriously, I don't care. I do what's best for me and my family. If the rest of you want to rot your insides, go for it. I was just telling you what I've read.

• shera
    shera

Hello people!

Each to their own on what they want to believe. What I am about to say is from my own personal experince,that I am going threw with my health now.

First of all,alot of this is my own fault because I know what diet pop does to me.I made a vow to myself and to my hubby I am not longer drinking it.

A few months back,I stopped drinking it and I felt better.My bones stopped aching,I lost weight easier and faster.I stopped feeling lethargic.I DO develop auto immune symptoms,I bloat,I feel numb,extreme fatigue....errrmmm...cranky.......hehe Aches and pains in joints and bones.
    I was tested fro an auto immune disease(a few times),but the tests came back negitive.

Stoopid me,started drinking it again and I slowly start to feel bad again.I have put the weight back on... Even if I eat healthy ,the weight will not come off.

So for myself,I am cutting the garbage out of my life for good!

For the people it does not bother,thats fine.I know what it does to me and I do find truth to these accusations because it affects my life.

Take care

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

No one is claiming soda and aspartame are "health" foods. But to say they're horrible for your body or even a neurotoxin is going too far... and not supported by science. If aspartame was truly bad I am confident that the FDA would ban it or label it a carcinogen (like they did with saccharine).

We need all the help we can get in the calcium department and I was just pointing out that another pitfall with cola, diet or regular, is the phosphoric acid. Whether or not it is a "significant" source of phosphoric acid is not the issue

How can the amount of phosphorus not be an issue? A can of cola only provides 2% of the daily recommended amount. I'd think that "too much" phosphorus would mean you'd consume 200%, 300%, or more of the recommended amount.

Also did you read that phosphorus web site you mentioned? There were tons of "healthy" foods listed as having "high" amounts of phosphorus. Why single out cola?

Doesn't matter much to me either what people drink or don't drink either... but it's lame to claim that someone who drinks pop "rots their insides."

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Some people apparently need to be smacked up alongside the head with the evidence, since obviously just reading it isn't enough.

Science has learned that anecdotal evidence cannot be relied on at all. If anecdotal evidence is enough for you, then more power to ya.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit