more stuff on diet sodas

by shera 87 Replies latest jw friends

• seawolf
    seawolf
    Donald Rumsfeld was president of Serle corporation in 1977, maker of aspartame, then, part of Reagan transition team, and got aspartame 'legalized' by appointing a defense department contractor (Hayes) as head of FDA. That's one very good reason to stay clear of it!

I was wondering if anyone would bring this up. Searle is now owned by Monsanto (see previous discussion here http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/14/60516/1.ashx ) The head the FDA that got aspertame approved then went on to take a high position at an advertising firm to promote aspertame.

• Richie
    Richie

TD,

True, aspartic acid and phenylalanine are found, for instance, in milk and other protein sources, it?s different when they are added to a product in high concentrations and then flooded into the bloodstream, as these two amino acids, now out of their natural environment, begin to break down into toxic products. Further, when aspartame breaks down in the body, it releases methanol, a gas that negatively affects optic nerve function and interferes with blood supply to the retina, resulting in vision loss. So given these concerns, is it any surprise that tens of thousands of complaints have been lodged, including reports of dizziness, epileptic-like seizures, insomnia, vertigo, rashes, and anxiety?

We are not talking about phosphorus or phosphoric acid??please read the contents.

Take care??

• Princess
    Princess

We are not talking about phosphorus or phosphoric acid??please read the contents.

Oh, but I am...just another reason not to drink cola IMO.

• TD
    TD

True, aspartic acid and phenylalanine are found, for instance, in milk and other protein sources, it?s different when they are added to a product in high concentrations and then flooded into the bloodstream, as these two amino acids, now out of their natural environment, begin to break down into toxic products. Further, when aspartame breaks down in the body, it releases methanol, a gas that negatively affects optic nerve function and interferes with blood supply to the retina, resulting in vision loss. So given these concerns, is it any surprise that tens of thousands of complaints have been lodged, including reports of dizziness, epileptic-like seizures, insomnia, vertigo, rashes, and anxiety?

So the bloodstream is not the "natural environment" for these amino acids? Out of curiosity.......what exactly is their "natural environment?"

The breakdown of proteins into their constituent amino acids and the subsequent release of same into the bloodstream is one of the principal functions of the human digestive system!

Please read the thread in its entirety.....

• Princess
    Princess

http://www.azstarnet.com/~bsmith/tools/phosed.htm All you ever wanted to know about phosphorus.

Phosphoric acid comes from phosphorus. While phosphorus is an important mineral for the body, too much phosphorus in the blood causes the bones to release calcium, leading to brittle bones orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....................osteoporosis. How much is too much? I don't know, the article doesn't say. It does say to avoid foods high in phosphorus such as cola Oddly enough it didn't mention that this phenomenon only plagues women. I guess you aren't off the hook doc.

Aspartame is evil. The WTS wants apostates to drink diet cola so their bones become brittle and they get all sorts of horrid medical problems. Then they can point to the apostates and show the sheep how horrible things turned out for the apostates. Ban aspartame, beat the WTS at their evil little game.

Just say no.

• TD
    TD

Hi Princess,

Excess phosphorus is normally excreted in the urine. Elevated blood phosphorus ( > 4.5 MG/DL ) can be indicative of something much more serious amiss ---

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Excess phosphorus is normally excreted in the urine.

So the flourescent effect is normal then?

Six~ whew! class

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Oddly enough it didn't mention that this phenomenon only plagues women. I guess you aren't off the hook doc.

Princess, I pointed that out that article as a joke because I thought it was rediculous that the problem would only affect women.

What about the point that a can of cola only provides 2% of the recommended dietary allowance of phosphorus? Doesn't sound like an excessive amount to me at all.

Shrugs... I have no health problems whatsoever right now. I drink diet just for the taste...not because I'm trying to lose weight. (I've drank diet exclusively for almost 15 years now.) When you think about it, there are issues with almost any drink. The iced tea I like has more caffeine than cola does.

Also, pop may be full of chemicals but water itself is a chemical. Just because something's a chemical doesn't make it bad.

There are clearly two sides here that aren't going to budge any time soon.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    it?s different when they are added to a product in high concentrations and then flooded into the bloodstream

What is a "high concentration"? Fruit juice (especially tomato juice) has much methanol than aspartame. Why is that not a "high concentration"? And what difference does it make if something is "naturally" found in a drink or if it's added to it?

By that reasoning wouldn't the sugar you add to your coffee also be bad because it's not "naturally" present?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Geez... some people seem to be getting so angry.

Is it wrong for us to want real, scientific proof that aspartame is bad before jumping on the bandwagon?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit