more stuff on diet sodas

by shera 87 Replies latest jw friends

• Richie
    Richie

Bryan, the link to this study is http://healingtools.tripod.com/thn6.html

Stevia is a safe replacement for sugar, it's about 300 times sweeter than sugar. Stevia is derived from a plant in South America; it?s calorie-free; used extensively in Japan with no adverse side-effects; available as a powder or liquid.

Originally introduced to Japan in 1970 by a consortium of food-product manufacturers, stevioside and other stevia products quickly caught on. By 1988, they reportedly represented approximately 41% of the market share of potently sweet substances consumed in Japan. In addition to widespread use as a tabletop sweetener, like the packets of saccharin ("Sweet-n-Low") and aspartame ("Equal") commonly found in the United States, stevia was also used by the Japanese to sweeten a variety of food products, including ice cream, bread, candies, pickles, seafood, vegetables, and soft drinks.

In addition to demonstrating stevia's nearly instant popularity in locales far removed from its native habitat, Japan's experience proved several other significant facts about this phenomenal plant: its adaptability and its safety. Adaptability was proven through the discovery that the plant could be grown throughout most of this temperate island nation, albeit under special hothouse conditions. Studies were even initiated to evaluate the substitution of stevia for rice under cultivation in some areas. Stevia's safety was proven through extensive scientific testing.

The spread of the stevia phenomenon was not limited to Japan. Today it is also grown and used in approximately 10 other countries outside South America, including China, Germany, Malaysia, Israel and South Korea. Stevia might by now be entrenched in the United States as well, had it not been for a concerted effort to block its very entry.

Other artificial sweeteners are approved at least in Canada, include: acesulfame-potassium, sucralose (Splenda), isomalt, lactitol, maltitol, nannitol, sorbitol, thaumatin, and xylitol. Acesulfame-potassium, commonly used in conjunction with aspartame and sucralose, has caught the attention of the Center for Science in the Public Interest as a potential carcinogen. Sucralose has caused shrunken thymus glands in animal studies, along with enlarged organs, lowered red blood cell count, genetic damage and birth defects. Saccharin and cyclamate are still sold as tabletop sweeteners in Canada; saccharin is a known carcinogen, while cyclamate has been linked to genetic damage and cancer since the late 1960?s. In 1970, it was totally banned by the FDA.

According to ?Health Hazards of White Sugar?, ?Not one artificial sweetener has been proven conclusively to be safe.? The best way to reduce intake of aspartame is to simply read labels carefully. Products containing artificial sweeteners are usually processed, packaged, and laden with colorants and preservatives, the kind of foods we?d probably want to avoid anyway. Diet pop is the biggest aspartame offender. Opt for naturally flavoured sodas ? a good selection is usually available at whole food markets. When baking or cooking, use natural sweeteners whenever possible. In the end, it?s ironic that artificial sweeteners may be an even bigger danger than the sugars they?re supposed to replace.

Richie :*)

e Gu

arani Indians had known for centuries about had known for centuries

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Funky: Because as I said I don't believe that Diet Pop is good for you...period. I find it amazing that you find my sharing it with my sister is so bad, do you have stock in a cola company????? Why not try the logical thing, if her drinking Diet Pop is aggravating her condition, who would it hurt????? If she stops and the sypmtoms are there then fine but if she stops and gets better. Which is better for people to think they know what is right or for someone to try something and if it works great.

How I look at it I don't give a shit about what anyone else thinks, I am trying EVERYTHING to get help for my niece.

• Princess
    Princess

God, some people sure want to drink this sh*t. Whatever.

It says cola/osteoporosis thing only affects women. So I'm safe.

That is total bullsh*t. The fact is, the phosphorus leaches calcium from bones. It doesn't just attack women.

I don't care if you drink it or not. Diet cola and every other kind of soda is just a combo of chemicals. I've never read a study that said drink more, it's good for you. It's not. It's crap. Bottoms up.

• ball.
    ball.

The bottom line people like following fads and other people like scare-mongering and watching people jerk like puppets on a string. Put just about "anything and dangerous" in a google search and you can find some crap on it. If you really want something to worry about, what about this: the process of cooking food over 100 degrees C produces the carcinogenic chemical acrylamide in copious quantities. We did not evolve to cook our food. You are slowly killing yourself every time you eat acrylamide which is produced everytime food is microwaved, roasted, fried, grilled, basically anything except eaten raw or blanched.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Good grief. Does someone actually believe only women get osteoporosis??

This article on Aspartame has been around for a long time. I have had it on my website for three years, on the weightloss issues, since many people who drink a lot of diet pop will never lose weight because it works like a steroid in your body and actually causes fat to cling to your cells,.................. and it was in a medical journal first. So there!!

Just a bit more on this...............I went to a medical seminar conducted by 3 medical doctors back in 1995. That is where I got all my information on Aspartame and the steroid issue. One doctor said he believed it was a factor in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia too.

"Do you ever see skinny people drinking Diet Pop?" Rosie O'Donnell

• wednesday
    wednesday

I aggree, Mulan. I do believe it is a factor why we as a nation are so overweight, and i do think it probably has somehting it do with FMS, and maybe CFS. I have grown up on diet soda. the generation before me did not. They have less health problems and weight problems. Sugar may rot your teeth, but i believe aspartane causes serious health problems. I have switched to splendia and stevia.

It certainly can't hurt to stop them if u are having problems. I used to carry a diet coke around the way some people chain smoke.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Mulan, Princess, Wed: I agree. I do love Cherry Dr. Peppers but I notice even with regular soda if I drink it I feel like crap for a couple of days aftermakes my fingers swell and my ankles. I figure my filtered water doesn't do that so I try to stick to water, tea or juice

• ball.
    ball.

Ok, if we're going to talk about aspartame, lets get personal. I must say it has been slower to catch on in the UK than the US with saccharine still being used widely. I have lost 5 stone in 18 months (there is 14 lbs in a stone) by switching to both aspartame and saccharine. I have saccharine in coffee and aspartame in soft drinks.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

Donald Rumsfeld was president of Serle corporation in 1977, maker of aspartame, then, part of Reagan transition team, and got aspartame 'legalized' by appointing a defense department contractor (Hayes) as head of FDA. That's one very good reason to stay clear of it!

• TD
    TD

Let's not confuse phosphorus with phosphoric acid. You actually need phosphorus for calcium absorption and a number of other vital functions. Any good multi-vitamin + mineral supplement will contain phosphorus.

....it?s different when they are added to a product in high concentrations and then flooded into the bloodstream, as these two amino acids, now out of their natural environment, begin to break down into toxic products.

----What???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit