Scary pictures

by Surfacing 20 Replies latest social humour

• Surfacing
    Surfacing

I remember as a kid being freaked out by two pictures. One was of the Demons floating away leaving their screaming wives and babies during the flood, and the other was the collage with the gas mask guy and the kid holding his hands over his ears and the dead guy with the chopsticks....

Oh yes, did I mention that I wasn't allowed to watch the Care Bears movie as a kid because of the "frightening and demonic" scenes?

• Dan-O
  • simplesally
    simplesally

My daughter would cry if she saw that game!!!!!!!

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

My daughter LOVES it ... But she's 13.

• Corvin
    Corvin

We all grew up with terrorizing images burned into our minds. Hear some from some other publications over the years.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

This was not a JW Publication, but it has always terrified me on a deep down level:

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I have quite a few nasty JW pics in amongst my randomised screensaver pics. Mrs Sheep has never commented on it.

• gespro
    gespro

gitas...LMAO

I knew a couple of the guys out of this band! Two or three were [blood] brothers. I never did have the chance to ask about the cover but, chances are it was the record company's idea.

Hey, they were competing with disco what can I say...

And those wonderful illustrations of destruction! I remember the Paradise Book all too well. When I was a kid, it looked like the people were dancing while they fell down the crevice. I thought," People doing the twist are gonna die?" I guess that thinking was to cover the trauma I was experiencing while looking at these pictures.

g

• FirstInLine
    FirstInLine
    and the other was the collage with the gas mask guy and the kid holding his hands over his ears and the dead guy with the chopsticks....

Every time I saw that collage as a child it conjured up powerful but esoteric emotions. It was the gas mask that really frieghtened me and the kid with his hands over his ears. It demonized the world. That book, IMO, ironically is one of the most demon saturated books I ever read. The people all have this demon possesed look. Now I have found that it is full of occult messages. I get the same feeling from seeing occult art work and literature as I do from that ...Paradise... but. Some paradise.

It was very dark and dreary. It was cold and otherworldly. The propaganda was so blatant that you could hardly imagine how any rational person could take it seriously.

I remember the image of the Catholic cleric ( a CARDINAL?!?!??!) blessing the sacrament on one side of the page and then standing in front of an infantry battalion with a wildly pleased look on his face giving an order to go forward (into combat). Not without full GI JOE flashes and pops. I mean it was so over the top you could hardly believe they thought they could get away with it.

• Brother Beyond
    Brother Beyond

How many times has the WTS taken issue against the Catholics portral of hell?

I think any child would find these scenes equally as frightening.

As a child I also had my TV programmes vetted to make sure there was no demonic or disturbing images, yet I was subjected to these kind of images regularly whilst attending meetings and doing family study.

BB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit