Calling all Bethelites

by Nadsam 44 Replies latest jw experiences

• LDH
    LDH

I had many friends at Bethel.

There was a black dude name Jesse, I can't remember his last name for the life of me. Yeah ok Jesse Washington. Late 80's early 90's--he was a elder and once in a while would come visit us. Very nice, I always thought he liked me, but he was a real company man.

Then there were the Lopez brothers, Leo and Gilbert. Leo about 6'6", Gilbert not much shorter. From Ponce Puerto Rico. I visited with their family more than once when I leived in PR. Very nice guys and I do wonder what happenen to them.

Then there were the three Bethelites. This is a great, true story. Anybody know Mark Nadolny?

Three dudes when to visit this one dude's girlfriend, cause he couldn't visit her alone, ya know. On their way home to Bethel in a blizzard, their car broke down outside of Weedsport on the NYS thruway. They got lucky enough to breakdown near a rest area, and had to walk there. They literally had NO MONEY. <<<side point how fucking pathetic is it for three grown men all of whom work full time, to have NO MONEY>>> Anyhow, they called Bethel collect. They had to call 5 or 6 times because Bethel would not accept the call. They were literally BEGGING for the call to go through to Mark Nadolny. Finally they were put through but told they would have to pay for the call!!

They talked to Mark because they were lucky enough to remember that he had some friends (us) near Weedsport. Mark called us at 2 in the morning. Nex thing you know, my dad and I are trekking off to Weedsport in a blizzard. What an adventure, going to rescue three stranded Bethelites!!!!!

We had their car towed back to our home and we brought them home with us. They were frozen and exhausted. We rolled out the red carpet for them, and my folks have it to roll out.

Early next morning (Sunday) they went to the meeting with us. All hell broke loose when the sisters realized three unexpected Bethelites were on hand!

We got their car fixed, and as I remember it, my parents gave them a few hundred dollars each and gassed their car up. We sent them on their way Sunday afternoon.

Now that I'm older, I can imagine they were thinking how Jehovah had provided for them! Actually, Jehovah hadn't provided a damn thing. As usual.

Lisa

Good Memory Class

• LDH
    LDH

Wah.......nobody thought my story was funny....

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

LDH - I enjoyed reading your story!

I feel sorry for your family having to get up in the middle of the night like that!!! eeerk!!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I would love to know who they were, by PM if you don't want it to be known.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

the bell.
    the roomies that went to sleep at 8:30
    the meeting with the overseer for being 1 min late to work
    cleaning 30 toilet bowls a day for a year, and no, not all bethelites scrub
    being called into one of the branch committee for going out one night after midnight
    the smell of the bethelmade vinegar cleaning liquid

• Black Man
    Black Man

Lisa,

Your story was hilarious. And yes, they know doubt thanked Jehoba for rescuing them.................

• belbab
    belbab

Now that I'm older, I can imagine they were thinking how Jehovah had provided for them! Actually, Jehovah hadn't provided a damn thing. As usual.

Lisa, I thought your story was hilarious, but also very revealing and with a touch of irony, pathos etc. to it. I seem to remember, you posted this story before, or has this post been brought back to the top.

In the hungry thirties, part of a large family, myself and my siblings were picked up each Sunday by an evangelical pastor who had the use of a large furniture truck to pick up country kids and haul them to Sunday school. Our "old man" irreligious, into booze and gambling, thought he would show some appreciation to the lady pastor and give her a pound of homemade butter, prepared from the cream of our only cow. (Us kids grew up on skim milk, cream was for butter).

When Ms. Rev Pastor, while loading us into the back of the truck, received the gift of butter, she, clapping her hands together, gushed , Praise the Lord, yak, yak yak.

Later, after returning from Sunday school, our "old man" was still brooding, mumbling because God got the thanks for the gift, and he did not receive any acknowledgement for his donation.

So too, with the Watch Tower. They establish difficult burning situations for their flock, and do not lift a finger, or accept collect calls in emergencies, and when someone else comes along and snatches the persons out of the trying circumstances. They say, you see, Jehovah takes care of his own, arn't you happy we introduced you to Him.

belbab, also remembering.

• LDH
    LDH

JW Facts,

As you can see I have no problem naming names. I don't remember the names of any of the three. We had never met them before and we never saw them again.

One other funny detail, they were driving this like-1973 BMW (this was in the late eighties remember). My dad asked which one the car belonged to. It had no heater --NONE--almost no brakes etc. I do remember one of the chaperoning bethelites said, with a touch of sarcasm, "It belongs to a FORMER friend of ours." We all laughed.

Again, how pathetic that grown men, working full time, have no resources. Crazyness.

Lisa

I ain't saying I'm a Gold Digger Class

• LDH
    LDH
    They say, you see, Jehovah takes care of his own, arn't you happy we introduced you to Him.

Great quote, Bel. Reminds me of a friend's 4 year old son who attends "Christian Daycare"--he told my 15 year old daughter, "Jesus healed my cut!" And my daughter told him, "Jesus uses Neosporin!"

HA HA

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

fridays was granola day and boiled eggs. I truly despised that form of manna.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit