THE BLAME GAME--need help with this

by cyber-sista 17 Replies latest jw friends

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Just commented on recent topic titled: WHO DO YOU BLAME FOR THE TIME YOU WASTED AS A DUB?

This questions got my brain tweaking in some different directions. Some who I admire and respect the opinions of said that they no longer blame anyone and that blaming is a waste of energy. In some senses I can understand that, but that is not how I FEEL right now. Maybe you all can help me to get my perspective on this one--I am still processing a lot of anger towards the Org. and would like to get past it, but I am rather new at this. Here are the 2 posts I put out on the subject in response to above question:

#1 I blame the guys at the top of the Org. They are the ones putting out all the rules and regulations for the members to follow. They are bloodguilty as hell for misleading and confusing so many who are being lead by them. It is not always a personal choice to be a JW if you are born and bred into the cult (brainwashed) or if you come into it during a weak point in your life (my case) and are manipulated and then used by them because of your vunerability at the time.

(Sorry I am going through an "angry at the Org" processing phase at the moment).

#2 Still thinking about this one. Some of you blamed and some of you felt as if blaming was not the thing to do. Being rather new here and still sorting I am still wondering how do you get past the blame? I still feel like blaming as I stated in my above post. I just can't get past that right now. I feel like a victim and in some of the posts people blamed themselves. Is this not like a person who has been abused or molested as a child who is made to feel as if they are the ones to blame? I feel abused and molested (mentally, spiritually, emotionally) by the WT society--therefore I feel like a victim and I blame the perpetuators of my abuse. It is hard for me to sort this one out. Maybe I don't know what the true meaning of blame is. Do we blame cruel dictators for their inhumanities--or do we say there is no one to blame? Try telling that to a concentration camp survivor. Extreme example, I know. But how do you get your head around this one? I am just asking because I truthfully don't know.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Hi again Cyber sista,

I didn't see that you had started this new thread, so I responded to you on the original thread. But I wanted to add a few more thoughts here.

In fact, I just submitted a response here, but got an error code and my post was lost.

I agree that the Society needs to be held accountable for all the wrongs they have done and will do in the future. They have hurt a lot of people, and I want to take them OUT! I'm just not sure how that can effectively be done, so I will support the efforts of others as I can, and hope for the best. People have been working on this for decades now and I don't see a lot of change in the Organization. But I won't give up.

I know I responded from a purely selfish perspective on the other thread, partly because the wording of the question was about the time I wasted as a Dub, and partly because I am not really too deep; I accept the fact that others can offer you much greater insight than I can. So for now I'll just enjoy my time here on this forum and give and take as I can.

Be assured that it will get easier to deal with.

Love and friendship,

Seeit

• jgnat
    jgnat

Imagine the moon orbiting the earth. Did you know the same face of the moon always faces us? We never see the other side.

Consider an abused wife around her husband. She hangs on his every word, acutely observant of his very action. Properly interpreting his moods can save her a beating. Watching her, an outsider may wonder if she has any thoughts of her own. You could say she "orbits" her husband, as an effective survival technique.

That same woman finally leaves her abusive husband, but for months or years afterwards, all she talks about is the abuse she suffered under that man. She left him physically, but she still "orbits" him in her mind and heart. We still do not know this woman - her interests and desires. She is still not fully free.

The woman finally breaks from her past, realizes she has no reason to ever contact her abuser again. She realizes he has no power over her any more - she can be whoever she choses to be. But who might that be? She feels empty, disoriented, without that powerful force influencing her every move. She sets out to discover who she is. She breaks orbit, and we finally get to see the fully rounded person hiding for all those years.

This woman is too busy living to focus on blame any more. She has taken ownership for her life, and has moved on. Free!

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Some who I admire and respect the opinions of said that they no longer blame anyone and that blaming is a waste of energy. In some senses I can understand that, but that is not how I FEEL right now

You feel what you feel. I blamed a lot of people too, for a long time. It's part of the process.

Don't stuff your feelings. If it helps, blame away. Most of us did!!

• a wee scots lass
    a wee scots lass

I too have trouble with this one cyber - sista; hope you find the answer to yours.

For years I heard my mum tell the story of how she was searching for the truth and that only JW's had the answer - I believed this all the way and lived my life as the good little JW to the extent of pioneering for years. I figured that I trusted my mum and that if she said she searched then she searched.

I look back at so many things I was not allowed to do, people I was not allowed to associate with and occasions not celebrated and for what? I look back and think about what could have been??.

I eventually left and she was not allowed to speak to me for years. We speak now and in fact she herself has stopped going along, but was thinking of going back. I have been feeding her with what I am learning on this site in the hope that she may never go back. My dad on the other hand was always more tolerant still goes but has never been strong if you know what I mean. So his going makes no difference.

So ? the blame ? I find it hard not to apportion some blame to my mum for getting involved in the first place, but blame the organisation for sucking her in and feeding her complete sh*t. It is the biggest money making racket in the world. They know what they are doing.

• Rainmakerone
    Rainmakerone

"They have hurt a lot of people, and I want to take them OUT! I'm just not sure how that can effectively be done"

................................................................................................................................... good point seeitall!!

i think this is THE most interesting point! what Can be done to take these bastards OUT!

we need a hard core thin edge of the wedge to really hurt them and then drive it all the way home!

just a matter of getting the right people together i guess

• one_ugly_time
    one_ugly_time

Cyber-sista --

It is not always a personal choice to be a JW if you are born and bred into the cult (brainwashed) or if you come into it during a weak point in your life (my case) and are manipulated and then used by them because of your vunerability at the time.

I was raised in the troof from 2-18... I had no idea the impact on my way of thinking until much, much later in life... around 40 years old. Blame... Spit balls of blame came firing out... I couldn't begin to process the rawness that I felt through-out my body, mind & soul when these feelings began to surface...

I started reading, reading & reading... not just reading the words, in fact, I can't even remember most of the books I read the first time... I read to allow my feelings to process... to walk in others shoes and relate to their stories... some of the best material for my healing process has been that which I learned about the greiving process, co-depnedecy, & mind-control/emotional abuse...

Change constitutes loss... sometimes we leave good things for better things; or even leave good things for unknowns but hopeing for better -- as a result of our need for growth. All losses that are acknowledged require grieving... during this process we are extremely vunerable, that is human nature ie. the belief in the good of mankind. When we are vulnerable, and someone listens or lends a hand and helps us heal from our current losses -- we begin to trust. That is the process; and constitutes growth when each time we successfully travel beyond... However, it shatters the soul when we learn that our trust was given prematurely or that others mistook our healing and thankfulness as acceptance of their ways... or, when we feel that others preyed upon us during our time of vulnerability only to gain our trust so that THEIR intentions and motives where met at the SACRIFICE of our well being. When this occurs, not only is the current loss extremely painful, but it is possible that a number of losses in life we be reviewed... we are no longer certain of our reality... we need to take a step back and try to find who we were, where we went wrong, and whether or not our previous losses where fully grieved.

The grief process is not only different for each individual, but has different depths to it, sometimes cycling back and forth as we begin to expose our true selves. I copied a small section of the Kubler-Ross model... It doesn't mention blaming per se, but if you sit quietly... you will discover which part of the process this reaction is coming from... For me, it was immediately following my "awareness" which would mean I had grown past denial (20 years worth)... The anger was/is extremely hard to deal with constructively. I did my share of blaming -- but it does get better.

The Kubler-Ross (1969) Model .

Elizabeth Kubler-Ross developed a stage model learned from these patients who were coping with their own death. These five stages have been widely used as a general framework for caregivers working with individuals experiencing personal loss, (a) first stage: Denial and Isolation, a first reaction to the awareness of the loss, typically by the statement, "No, not me, it cannot be true.", (b) second stage: Anger, a shift in thought from "it cannot be true," to the reaction, "Oh, yes, it is me, it was not a mistake.", (c) third stage: Bargaining, an attempt at an agreement to postpone or to bargain for more time, (d) fourth stage: Depression, a reaction to letting go of anger is followed by a sense of intense loss, (e) fifth stage: Acceptance, a stage where the individual is neither depressed or angry. The individual has worked through feelings of loss and has found some peace (Kubler-Ross, 1969, p. 38-113).

But how do you get your head around this one? I am just asking because I truthfully don't know.

I am still searching for and working on the answer to this one. I am starting to believe the following --

Get your head out of it. It happened. Don't justify, excuse, deny, bargain, apologize, or use any other means of rationalization. It happened. It's painful to realize that my own weaknesses allowed it happen, but now that I realize what those weaknesses are I have opportunity for growth.

Trust the process. It works. Some people attend meetings; however I found them to be too much of a reminder of previous meetings I had been to -- opening prayer, rules, guidelines, etc. I needed a friend... period... It takes a lot of starting and stopping and re-starting to find the one(s) you can trust to open up to; but it can be done.

6 Degrees of Relating. Based on the concept of the movie (that exact title I forget), we are at MOST removed from everyone else in the world through 6 contacts. That means, to me, I have the ability in some way, by my actions and the words I speak to have an influence -- on a child that wants to be a scientist, on a student that wants to travel, on a teenager that wants out of drugs, on a firefighter that can't rescue any more, on you... whom I don't know... to in turn, help a victim become a survivor. [Or destroy a destructive cult and prevent innocent people from becoming victims]

jgnat - What a painful expression of awakening and reality...

This woman is too busy living to focus on blame any more. She has taken ownership for her life, and has moved on. Free!

If this is you... congratulations... The last time I wrote such deep, emotional feelings the ending said "Free... almost"... Hope to be there soon.

one_ugly_time

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**Just commented on recent topic titled: WHO DO YOU BLAME FOR THE TIME YOU WASTED AS A DUB? **

Hi Cyb ( my special lady)...Talk about "ISSUES"? *I* couldn't make myself click ON to that thread because I KNEW it would tear me up reading the replies.....and I DO blame the WTS for their ultra-clever and deliberately sneaky "recruit gathering", designed to trick and dupe innocent people into their hateful (and hate FILLED) web of deceit.

I don' have the OPTION of walking away from this train wreck I ended up living, because I am continually "slapped in the face" as the ripple effect of my choice to leave that lying hypocriticl pretend religion.

I don't feel that I'm over dramatizing these feelings, because to me.....it's rather on a par with abuse victims...where one doesn't have the frame of mind to just "get up and get ON with things" as other people would have it. MY feelings are REAL and THERE and I want to "strike back" in any way I CAN!

MY "way", right now..is writing----everywhere and ANYwhere I CAN......to TELL others about the EVILS of the WTS. It's all soooooo nicey-nicey at the beginning, but like putting your hand in a cookie jar to get something GOOD and then discovering that you can't pull your hand back out....and it's STUCK----unless you cut off your hand ...

I,too, long for the day when I can REALLY be free of the WTS "fallout" and only remember this as a "bad experience" as opposed to an ongoing traumatic event which has shredded our entire family forever.

It stinks, and I am SO sorry that I ever let them into my home in 1969.......because it's been downhill from that time.

Hugs,

Annie

• psdcb
    psdcb

hello,

the blame game hahah i laugh at this cus there is no one to blame man is inperfect funny thing is this man u wrote this comment is also in perfect and has no idea who really is at the top of this organiziation cus if he did he would know it comes down from the top jehovah

jesus

faithful discreetslave class which has jehovahs spirit

down to the orgiziantion on earth

to elders

to all the cong

so i think if u think the man at the top is back in new york i think u better stop and really take a look as to who really is the leader it isnt man hasnt been and never will be but some how satan has some convienced that that is the way it is i wonder why does he have your eyes blinded like the scriptures say.

• psdcb
    psdcb

i need to make one more reply to this we all want some one to blame when our lives go sour instead of blame this the time to draw closer to jehovah and to him alone dont depend on man i lost 3 adult childern to world did i blame jehovah no they make there own choices yes they were raised in truth god help i did not want them to be like me i was not rised in truth never knew the truth i was an hells angle if this dear sister had not come to my door this one day i would have taken my life i hated it but she showed me that there was a god that loved me for who i was and that he needed me and yes iv had my very bad days because my kids choose to go to world my son said mom we just want to taste it i said taste what death is that what u are missing iv done it iv did it all i told u all i did and why i came into the truth so u would never have to go through the pain i did ever he said mom we still have to do it and they did well they ever come back i dont know two are disfellowshipped my son is not one daughter has a baby out of wedlock and my son devoriced his wife who was not a witness will then i should be bitter huh hahaahah i have everlasting life to look foward to this keeps me alive iv not lost hope for them they have to make the changes not me iv come to relize that with the help of my brothers and sister thank jehovah i had them or else i would be dead iv been in truth for 33yrs so i know the ups and downs we all go through but life is so much better then death believe me and jehovah tells us that so i hope and pray u well see the light god bless

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit