JW's BANNED IN RUSSIA - 04-01-04

by 4JWY 158 Replies latest jw friends

• 4JWY
    4JWY

XQ: yes, and I refer to it often and I know my fingers and mind spelled synonymous incorrectly the moment I posted.

Who said thought control is limited to religion?

No comment to your other comments.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

No I was not bashing your spelling you said look up "inculcate". My impression was what did you think the word meant before you looked it up?

• 4JWY
    4JWY

XQ: Don't know your background, but any JW would know that the word, INCULCATE is heavy in the JWspeak. And related to the conversation at the moment I mentioned it was, that it was interesting to see, that in place of the word "inculcate" the first definition in the thesaurus is BRAINWASH.

That is what we as parents are commanded to do to our children.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Yes I am a JW I know it is a popular edict for the WTS. Why are people surprised that they are part of a thought control regiment when every week you get lectures on the most effective techniques to brainwash your selves and others? It is like a Navy Seal finishing training and then realizing at the end "Hey wait? they were training us to kill people!"

• 4JWY
    4JWY

XQ: You must still be looking for "new light". Enjoy your journey.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Amac said,

: What do you consider to be the extremely harmful practices of Jehovah's Witnesses? You seem very adamant about it, but I don't see any harmful practices that would warrant their banning the same way that ritual murder or ritual child molestation might.

Disfellowshipping and the associated shunning; demanding that molested children have two eyewitnesses (an impossible standard) or a confession from the molester before they'll do anything to protect the child; demanding that followers die to follow the Watchtower Society's insane and unscriptural ban on blood transfusions; demanding that cult members shun family members and friends who leave the cult and speak about their reasons for leaving; telling outright lies in their literature and shunning people who point this out. Those are the big ones.

Now let me ask you some questions. Obviously these are theoretical since I don't know your personal circumstances. In addition to yes or no answers, I want to know your reasoning. I'm saying this because I think you're one of the more thoughtful posters on JWD, even though I sometimes disagree with you.

If I influenced your wife abandon you, would that be harmful to you?

If I influenced your children to shun you, would that be harmful?

If I told lies to your mother and father and they shunned and disinherited you, would that be harmful?

If I formed an organization whose purpose was to do the above things, should I be held legally liable in some fashion?

If I formed an organization whose purpose was to do the above things to a large number of people, should the government support it by licensing it?

If I formed an organization for some good purpose but it gradually deteriorated into one characterized by the above odious practices, should it be banned?

Do you agree with the spirit of the following scriptural passage? "God hates anyone sending forth contentions among brothers." (Proverbs 6:19)

On a scale of one to ten, with one being deliberately spilling coffee on a friend's shirt and ten being murder, where would you place ritual child molestation and deliberately causing a person's family to shun him?

Given the places you assigned these things, where would you draw the line on banning a religion?

If you can answer the above questions with solid reasoning, then I think you'll understand my position.

Note that I've agreed with Hillary_Step that perhaps government licensing of religions may be a better way to control harmful religious practices (as defined by whether they violate the law or norms of society) than outright banning, but if after a period of time they refuse to change for the better, then I still think that banning would be proper. After all, a basic function of government is to protect people from each other.

AlanF

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes
    If I influenced your wife abandon you, would that be harmful to you?

If I influenced your children to shun you, would that be harmful?

If I told lies to your mother and father and they shunned and disinherited you, would that be harmful?

If I formed an organization whose purpose was to do the above things, should I be held legally liable in some fashion?

If I formed an organization whose purpose was to do the above things to a large number of people, should the government support it by licensing it?

If I formed an organization for some good purpose but it gradually deteriorated into one characterized by the above odious practices, should it be banned?I

In a free society that most people idealize you are free to do harmful things to adults with their consent, and those adults are free to exhibit harmful behavior within the bounds of the law. So basically you are eroding the freedom you claim the Watchtower denies. You are making people who don?t like each other anymore be friends. I am sorry you feel being a jerk is a crime, but IT IS NOT!

Alan F how come you can't see that you are advocating babysitting adults? This is no different than making a law that high risk groups must ware condoms during sex.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

XQ: From an earlier post you had asked me, what is my problem with a cult? and amac: What is dangerous?

One problem with the cult is - when a mother is made to feel, by the cult's beliefs and actually verbalizes to her child, " I would rather see you commit suicide than to leave "the cult". (True story)

The parent holds dear the scripture that speaks of " it is better never to have known the truth, than to turn aside from it."( you know the one I mean) - so kill yourself .

Russia's concern, as noted in the news item posted by Garybuss at the beginning of the thread, speaks of "the inciting to suicide."

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Look at Japan they have a high suicide rate. They are not Jehovah's Witnesses by large, but believe it is better to be dead than be dishonorable. When the economy took a dip many men committed suicide when they lost their jobs, because they felt they could not find a new job, or too egocentric to take a less degnified one, and they felt they were worthless without one. What you and others fail to realized is this is in the spectrum of "normal" human behavior. I don't know where you live but most people that live in places like America don't know that elsewhere this type of behavior is glorified, encouraged, and NORMAL. I am not advocating people kill themselves just establishing it is not the Watchtowers fault.

BTW is that ?The Bride??

• toreador
    toreador

edited to correct posting in the wrong spot.

Tor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit