JW's BANNED IN RUSSIA - 04-01-04

by 4JWY 158 Replies latest jw friends

• 4JWY
    4JWY

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES BANNED FROM MOSCOW BY RUSSIAN COURT

is the heading of the article in the religious section of our newspaper yesterday.

MOSCOW (AP) A Moscow court has banned the religious activities of Jehovah's Witnesses from the Russian capital in a move that critics called a step back for democracy and religious freedom. Prosecutors claimed Jehovah's Witnesses destroys families and fosters hatred. Moscow's Golovinsky district court on Friday granted their request that it be outlawed in the capital under a provision that allows courts to ban religious groups considered to incite hatred or intolerant behavior.

John Burns, a Canadian lawyer for the group, pledged to appeal the decision to higher Russian courts and to pursue it in the European Court of Human Rights. "Religious minorities are often times a litmus test for where a society is going...this is an ominous signal," he said.

Defense lawyer Galina Krylova argued that the decision has no legal foundation as the prosecutor simply cited the denomination's religious literature. The activities of Jehovah's Witnesses weren't the subject of the court trial...the subject was the religious beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses...doctrinal arguments," Krylova said.

The U.S. State Department also criticized the decision. "We deplore the recent decision...to ban the religious activities of Jehovah's Witnesses in Moscow and to liquidate their legal entity," State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said Friday in Washington.

______________________________________________I'm moving to Russia in support!________________________________________________

• waiting
    waiting
    Prosecutors claimed Jehovah's Witnesses destroys families and fosters hatred. Moscow's Golovinsky district court on Friday granted their request that it be outlawed in the capital under a provision that allows courts to ban religious groups considered to incite hatred or intolerant behavior.
    Defense lawyer Galina Krylova argued that the decision has no legal foundation as the prosecutor simply cited the denomination's religious literature. The activities of Jehovah's Witnesses weren't the subject of the court trial...the subject was the religious beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses...doctrinal arguments," Krylova said.

• "prosecutor simply cited the denomination's religious literature."
    • "subject was the religious beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses."
    • "ban religious groups considered to incite hatred or intolerant behavior."

At last! A Court which actually READS & UNDERSTANDS what the WTBTS is really teaching!

• little witch
    little witch

Dammit! We won the cold war only to be outdone in common sense!

• 4JWY
    4JWY

There is another posting on this ban at the www.watchtowernews.org site sharing thoughts on effects on health etc.

Posted on 3/30/04 with the title:

CHURCH HAILS JW BAN IN MOSCOW

"under Russian legislation, any religious activities should not damage people's health and security"

"the group harms it's members life and health"

"The Moscow branch has been accused of breaking up families, inciting it's members to suicide and harming their life and health"

• sf
    sf

The most U.N.-happiest people on Earth, as judge rules in Moscow:

Jehovah's Witnesses listen to the judge's verdict in a court room in Moscow, Friday, March 26, 2004. A Moscow court on Friday banned the religious activities of Jehovah's Witnesses from the Russian capital. (AP Photo/Mikhail Metzel)

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Fine, FINE picture, SF!!!

Like my youngest daughter used to say.."Who peed on THEIR cornflakes?"

<giggle>

hugs,

Annie

• garybuss
    garybuss

I might have missed the fundamentals of this issue . . . . but isn't the ban just on Jehovah's Witnesses, the business? I have missed where the ban is on the people and I have not seen the ban on faith, worship, or morals. Is there a ban on worship, faith, and morals?

Hasn't the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation and it's trademark religion, Jehovah's Witnesses, worked hard to be seen as rigid, intolerant, divisive, and exclusive? It seems to me they should be happy to have achieved prominent recognition in the areas they have worked so hard to develop.

In the old days, Watch Tower Inc. could get away with behaving one way and developing government and media perceptions to reflect something different than the reality. Those days might be ending. I hope so! Why is America so tolerant to that which the Russians find unacceptable? I'd like some answers . . . . GaryB

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

At the same time, people (just playing Devil's advocate here), the *state* is banning a religion, which means it's banning freedom of religion, and freedom of speech. Say the JW's *didn't* believe in refusing blood transfusions, shunning, or any of their other horrible doctrines, would we still agree with this? Who's next?

CG

• amac
    amac
    I'm moving to Russia in support

Perhaps you should if you support the government restricting freedom of religion.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

CG:

I see your thought about freedom of religion. I see it as a country trying to rid itself of a dangerous cult, which I think is viewed differently from a religion. Growing up as a dub, I always remembered being told not even to refer to ourselves as a "religion" - just like we didn't go to a "church" - maybe that's why - I was actually being clued in at that time that I was in a CULT (?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit