Would you ever shun?

by ozziepost 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Well, would you?

I was asked that question today, or words just like it, is it ever right for a christian to shun?

Don't the scriptures instruct it?

Well, what would your answer be? Do you ever shun? Would you? Why?

Cheers, Ozzie (freedom seekers class)

Blessed are the bewildered - for they won't notice!

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

How can you "love your neighbor as yourself" and practice shunning?

Aren't we even commanded to love our enemies?

How do you love when you shun?

• Dansk
    Dansk

Ozzie,

I shun JWs - but only because I know they'd shun me. I never knew what shunning was 'til I became a JW. That says it all!

Ian

• blondie
    blondie

I don't know that I would get too chummy with a child molester.

Blondie

• mineralogist
    mineralogist

What scriptures instruct shunning? Those "bible-based" presented by WTS?

So - no i wouldn't do it. (I have to add: anymore)

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I would...and have...shunned people...but not on the model of the WTS. There are right ways and wrong ways to do this...and it makes common sense...

Shunning a pedophile is a good thing.

I'm not having an unrepentent drug dealer to my house for dinner either...even if he is my brother.

On the other hand, just because my brother became a Presbyterian instead of remaining Catholic...we still pray together, etc. No call for shunning there...or my sister that left the church all together...we didn't treat her any different...she's now a good Catholic gal again.

• Mulan
    Mulan

What Joy said, sounds like the Christian way to me. But, I avoid (not really shunning) having to talk to some people if I see them before they see me. Usually it's just because I don't want to take the time to deal with people who are irritating to talk to. And I am quite sure I would shun a pedophile.

• shera
    shera

Well,I wouldn't shun people,but like blondie said,I wouldn't have anything to do with a child molester and a rapist.I just watch who I have in my company.

If someone is a serious drug addict and they were hurtful to other people,I would show love but be tough about it,until they cleaned up their lives.Other wise I wouldn't "hang" with that person.I would never turn my back on my children,always be there and love them.If they hurt another child when older,I would have problems with that but as a parent I would always love.

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

never would and proud to say I never have.

but is it possible under certain circumstances God would require it? Sure, if there is a God.

But until such time as God shows me the "Truth" I couldn't possibly.

And the circumstances would have to be quite extreme for me to swallow it.

Rev

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I wouldn't shun anyone, but make sure to keep my boundaries very well defined. When it comes to people who are destructive to me or my family, I just don't associate with them.

CG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit