Pharmacy Refuses To Fill Birth Contol Pills-Do They Have That Right?

by wednesday 53 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Valis
    Valis
    Should all Prison Guards be forced to participate in the execution of criminals?

they do so passively, much like the goofy clerk that works for the pharmacist, who passively participates in birth control and the dissemination of said scrips. If he isn't passively participating, then niether is the stupid clerk and they just need to do thier job and hand out the dope. Period!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• wednesday
    wednesday
    We're talking about birth control pills, not abortion pills, Yeru

just so u are clear yeru, that was Somebodylovesme, not me.

It does not matter what he prescribes them to me for yeru, it is no one freaking business. Not anyone's but me and my doctors.The pharmacist and the doc talk if there are any questions as to why a drug is being prescribed.

• little witch
    little witch

Yeru,

You are in the military if I am not mistaken?

Did you ponder when you entered are you an accomplice to murder? Are you giving comfort to murderers? If a soldier kills "in the line of duty" are you giving comfort to him or her for their deeds?

See? Murky waters. Your job is one that asks of you compassion and mercy. You need not be an accomplice to murder if you comfort a soldier who has taken a life.

Why?

Malicious cold blooded murder is one thing, and sometimes taking a life is acceptable because it is deemed necessary or done under different circumstances.

Honestly, if YOUR daughter were raped and impregnated by the rape, and she felt the need to put the crime behind her would you still condemn her as a murderer?

And for those who say that adoption is a good solution, do you understand the emotional connection of giving birth and worrying the rest of your life if that child is ok, and well?

But to zero in on what you say Yeru, Can you at least understand that if a woman is to become pregnant by force or by accident that she may not want to suffer guilt and shame over such for the rest of her life?

And I also question your comments in regard to dying with dignity.

Why do we prefer to "put to sleep" suffering animals in pain that are beyond healing, but refuse human beings the same comfort?

I am not being a smart ass at all. I am genuine in my questions and want to explore these subjects if possible.

• crownboy
    crownboy

Wait untill some pharmacist's religion prevents him from selling cough syrup or band aids.

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, a very ardent Catholic, once gave a speech where he said that Catholic judges who think that their consciences would not permit them to sentence people to death should quit the profession, because sentencing people to death is one of the potential functions of a judge (this was in reaction to a Vatican appeal to all Catholic public officals to follow "church law" in their execution of public duty. The Catholic church is of course offically against the death penalty: http://www.cathnews.com/news/402/105.php). Very rarely do I agree with Scalia, but I do agree with that principle.

The same applies to pharmacists. People depend on them to provide them with medical needs. If the government permitted everyone to prescribe their own drugs then there would be no problem, but that's not the case. If your religion would prevent you from giving out birth control pills, or heart medication, or whatever, this should not be the customers problem. Being a pharamacist means you might be called on to dispense these things, so if your conscience can't permit you to properly execute your duties, then you should do something else.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Weirdos!

• Garnet
    Garnet

I take BCP for hormone reasons, without them, I would be in severe pain every month--and I am only 25. If a pharmacist refused to fill my prescription because of religious reasons, not only would I hit the roof, my doctor would probably have a discussion with them. I understand the argument in the medical field in regards to religious beliefs and blood transfusions/abortions/etc...but to refuse to fill a patients prescription without good reason is utterly ridiculous.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I believe that the pharmacy has the right to refuse an RX, just as a JW landlord has a right not to allow Christmas decorations in their building, a Christian Scientist refusing to give CPR to a man on the street and how a Mormon resteraunt owner has the right not to serve his patrons coffee, even if the patron demands it. However, that doesn't mean that they're sane or that their right to disservice a customer whenever there's a clash between their dogma and the reasonable request of another person is scrupulous.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I

believe that the pharmacy has the right to refuse an RX, just as a JW landlord has a right not to allow Christmas decorations in their building, a Christian Scientist refusing to give CPR to a man on the street and how a Mormon resteraunt owner has the right not to serve his patrons coffee, even if the patron demands it. However, that doesn't mean that they're sane or that their right to disservice a customer whenever there's a clash between their dogma and the reasonable request of another person is scrupulous

yes, if u own the place, u can refuse to sell whatever u want. But that means for a pharmacey, u woud not stock it. (so it is a moot question) And if i come in and find u stock condoms and other things like that, u can bet i will sue u.

Anyone can refuse anythig, but generally people tell u up front they don't do WHATEVER and then u make your decision if u want to do busness there. In the cases u mention, the landlord would need to inform the tenents before moviing in or he could be sued.

I was telling sixty, we had and still do have JW doctors in this area. They mostly have JW patients. Thye tell people upfront they don't give blood transfusions. If the patient has a problem with it, they find another doc. They don't wait until u are the hospital and then say"oh by the way, u know i dont order blood transfusions, i'm afraid you'll have to die b/c of my religious beliefs" The patient would sue and most likely the doc would lose his license. It is that serious. And patients are supposed to tell their doc if they ar not willing to accept certain procedures, ie blood, or u may find your doc signing off your case .

Interesting, refusing to do CPR-i know as a nurse, i cannot refuse to do that, b/c if it became known i was at the scene of the accident and did not render reasonable aide, i could, and most likey would lose my llicense. Other people, not sure. I guess u can't force someone to be a good samaratain, (sp) but aren';t there laws now in this regard about refusal to render aide?

This is an interesting subject and one jws deal with daily. This prevents many of them from going into certain careers. U can't impose your religous beliefs on others. Esp if u have a public trust job. (lie a doc nurse judge etc) If people could do that, imagine checking out at Eckerds, u might not be able to buy things from the store b/cthe clerk has objections to it. This is different form the local ekerds store that puts a clear sign outside that says"we do not sell cigs"

weds

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    I agree with those that say the pharmacist should find another line of work or perhaps a seek out work at a religious-affiliated hospital.

The problem with that idea is that even religious affiliated hospitals are under attack to provide medical procedures and medical coverage for their employees that contravene's their faith and doctrine.

LW,

Did you ponder when you entered are you an accomplice to murder? Are you giving comfort to murderers? If a soldier kills "in the line of duty" are you giving comfort to him or her for their deeds?

See? Murky waters. Actually, it's not murky...Murder is defined as the unjust intentional taking of a life. Your job is one that asks of you compassion and mercy. You need not be an accomplice to murder if you comfort a soldier who has taken a life.

Why?

Malicious cold blooded murder is one thing, and sometimes taking a life is acceptable because it is deemed necessary or done under different circumstances.

Honestly, if YOUR daughter were raped and impregnated by the rape, and she felt the need to put the crime behind her would you still condemn her as a murderer? I'm one of those Pro-Lifers that believes in compromise. My objection is casual abortion used as birth control...report a rape...get an abortion...though several women who gave birth to a child that resulted from rape were glad they did so.

And for those who say that adoption is a good solution, do you understand the emotional connection of giving birth and worrying the rest of your life if that child is ok, and well? Adoption is better than death.

But to zero in on what you say Yeru, Can you at least understand that if a woman is to become pregnant by force or by accident that she may not want to suffer guilt and shame over such for the rest of her life? By rape, I can understand that...by "accident" nope...I believe in personal responsibility. If I get a woman pregnant by "accident" can I make her have an abortion so as not to have to deal with the responsibility of my "accident"? No, I'd be required to at least provide financial support...with no real parental rights.

And I also question your comments in regard to dying with dignity.

Why do we prefer to "put to sleep" suffering animals in pain that are beyond healing, but refuse human beings the same comfort? If a human wants to end their own life...great...go right ahead...but no one should make that choice for them...animals are incapable of suicide....their instinct prevents it.

I am not being a smart ass at all. I am genuine in my questions and want to explore these subjects if possible. You have my answers...and I didn't take you as being a smart ass.

• Navigator
    Navigator

I suspect that the Pharmacist in question will soon be looking for another job. In small towns, there may be only one pharmacy or only one open at night or on Sunday. He doesn't have the right to impose his religious views on others. If his company stocks the product, they expect it to be sold.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit