How do they know?

by desib77 35 Replies latest jw friends

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

gumby,

What they fail to tell you is......the only reason the Great Crowd desires to live on the earth is because that is what they are DEMANDED to believe by the Organisation

In my case, not so! My grandfather intermittently tried to recruit me to Christianity when I was a kid, by describing the delights of heaven. Sounded incredibly boring. So I knew from the age of about five that heaven held no attraction for me.

When I heard the JW version of "the meek shall inherit the earth" at age 17, it sounded more sensible and more attractive. I've always had "the earthly hope", even long before I was a JW.

GentlyFeral

• proplog2
    proplog2

The Watchtower practically suggests that anyone who claims to be annointed at this particular point in time is certifiably insane. It's one thing to believe you are going to heaven when everyone around you believes that. But when you have to use introspection to search out some internal voice telling you "you're special" you have a recipe made for selecting the "crazies".

What is really scarry is that the "new" members of the Governing Body are all "latter date saints". In other words they all had a little voice inside of them confirm that they are "special" - or should we say "nut cases".

• Valis
    Valis

*** Watchtower 1997 October 1 p.23 Grateful for a Long Life in Jehovah's Service ***

Confident in Kingdom Hope

In 1935 we came to understand that the "great crowd" was not a secondary heavenly class. We learned that it instead represents a class that survives the great tribulation and has the opportunity of living forever in Paradise on earth. (Revelation 7:9-14) With this new understanding, some who had partaken of the Memorial emblems realized that theirs was an earthly hope, and they discontinued partaking.

[Emphasis Added]

doh!

• Dansk
    Dansk

Good question desib 77.

As usual, Gumby is right on:

What they fail to tell you is......the only reason the Great Crowd desires to live on the earth is because that is what they are DEMANDED to believe by the Organisation. Any who desire to live in heaven after 1935 are wrong because these ones need to realise the number 144,000 was filled by 1935 and there is no room left. Any who desire to live in heaven since 1935 should be ashamed for even thinking that way.......

Whenever I pondered this question I automatically thought of Born Again Christians. They were/are just as convinced they're going to heaven!

Should be a good punch-up in heaven (and the BA's will win because there's only 144,000 witlesses)!!

Ian

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Like George Michael said....

...you gotta have faith....

• reganashe
    reganashe

okay I never really understood that, just because I was born way after 1935 I had no oppurtunity to go to heaven even if I felt like I was "special" . How does that work. It's like heaven sold out, "sorry no more tickets, your going to have to stay on earth" That just doesn't work for me!!!! I mean were the people better back then or what??

• Carmel
    Carmel

It simply means they have an inflated ego and not being able to participate in partisan politics, they have only one outlet for their egomania, being "annointed"! If you've ever met any politicians you'll quickly see the similarity in attitude...

carmel

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

LMAO @ Winston!!!!!!!

Nina, I think things like that too,,,,,I used to wonder what it would be like in the New World when my mom was resurrected and Dad and the new wife lived down the road. I always thought we would all have to be perfect , or have angelic protection to keep someone from getting their ass kicked...( namely my dad's wife). I know we were told that the bad things would be forgotten because things would be so good.............bullcrap!!!!!!!! I didnt believe that back then either. LOL.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I agree that with some, being of the anointed "class" seems to be an ego trip. Not for all -- I used to go out in service with a dear old man who was very kind and humble, had been a JW since the 30's, and didn't hold it over anyone's heads that he claimed to be of the 144,000 class.

But for every one of him, there is at least one like this guy: A rather young elder (about 40) in Ohio who claimed the anointing. When I visited the area, he had people gather around him as he talked about "deeper truths" which were really not that profound. He seemed to enjoy the attention.

• Gopher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit