How do they know?

by desib77 35 Replies latest jw friends

• desib77
    desib77

This kind of goes along with all of the posts recently about the memorial. When my mother explained the annointed to me when I was young I asked how someone would know if they were part of the annointed. She told me, "They just know."

How? How supposedly do "they just know"? That has never made sense to me.

Desi

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Ah, but does it make "sense"?

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I remember an elder commenting to me, that "they know" that they are of the annointed, as we know what sex we are. Which didn't answer my question, How?, just they know.

I asked him, then what about people who realize that they are, or want to be a transsexual? LOL He didn't even know what that meant?

• gumby
    gumby

There was a Watchtower article that explained this but I know not where.

It says they KNOW ......" by a dominant 'mental inclination', to go to heaven. In other words......these annointed ones "think different" than one does of the Great Crowd who's dominant mental inclination is to live on earth.

What they fail to tell you is......the only reason the Great Crowd desires to live on the earth is because that is what they are DEMANDED to believe by the Organisation. Any who desire to live in heaven after 1935 are wrong because these ones need to realise the number 144,000 was filled by 1935 and there is no room left. Any who desire to live in heaven since 1935 should be ashamed for even thinking that way.......

Gumby

• moses
    moses

Good question I used to ask the same one when I was young and my mom gave the same answer .

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Here's the way my dad, who "professed to be of the anointed," explained it: in 1968, when we lived in St. Croix, he began to feel confused and realized that his "hope" was changing from looking forward to living on the earth to looking forward to living in heaven. He had long conversations with a very old and very kind Witness, who helped Dad realize why he was feeling the way he was. Dad took the responsibility very seriously all of his life. He wasn't one of those "holier-than-thou" types who made SURE you knew he was going to heaven. However, you could hear more depth of understanding in his talks, especially the Memorial talks -- I always enjoyed hearing him give those, even though he couldn't pronounce "propitiatory" correctly to save his life. (He was dyslexic and there were certain words that made me and Mom hold our breaths and cringe when he took a stab at them.)

Now that I'm on the free side of the JW experience, I do wonder if the reason why his talks had greater meaning was because he was looking at the scriptures in the way they were meant to be interpreted for everyone. I don't know. I'm not sure what comes after death, if anything, but I'm content to wait and see and enjoy what I have now before starting another journey.

Wherever he is, though, I hope he's happy. He deserves that.

Nina

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((((Nina)))))))

Your father sounds like a gem! I'm sorry I never got the chance to meet him. But I do believe he's in a happier place.

Love,

Andi

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Hi Desi,,,,, I always wondered that too. I knew a CO's wife who claimed to be of the annointed,,,,,,,I don't know if she went to heaven when she passed, but she was a unique lady. She was so quiet, non judgmental, and one of the kindest ladies I have ever known.

Nina,,,,,,,,,,I agree with Andi,,,,,I am sure your Dad is in a better place and he is happy. I hope he and my Mother have met, if they are in Heaven. I think they would take comfort in knowing that we found each other on this site, and can understand what each other is feeling,,,,,because of the circumstances. Your Dad went thru so much , as did my Mom while on this earth, and they do deserve to be in a peaceful place.

Desi,,,,,,, I got your PM the other day, sorry I didnt reply to the last one,,,,,,,, I did reply to your first one, but I guess it didnt go thru. It was a long one too, darn it. LOL

Check your PM, i will give you my home number and we can met in Shreveport soon.

• Mary
    Mary

How do they 'know'? That's easy. If you were baptised before 1935 then they know no one is going to question them. If they were baptized after 1935, they know they'll be harassed like there's no tomorrow about being "presumptuous" and "thinking too highly of oneself". They let some slip through though. My grandma started studying in the early 1930s but wasn't baptized till 1938. She was a zealous and faithful Dub all her life so I don't think anyone would have questioned her had she partook of the emblems.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    Your Dad went thru so much , as did my Mom while on this earth, and they do deserve to be in a peaceful place.

Thanks, Dede! But that brings up the interesting question of what will happen when my mom dies. If they end up in the same place, will it REALLY be peaceful for Dad? And will Mom automatically know everything that happened after she went into the nursing home? If she does, it ain't gonna be peaceful nowhere for nobody.

Nina [*preparing to duck lightning bolts and hailstones*]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit