All hail Sven Goran Eriksson!

by nicolaou 11 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Not everyone was happy with a Swede at the helm of England's football team.
    For followers of English football, defeat is a way of life. But however hard losing may be, the idea that a foreign coach could turn around England's fortunes was even more depressing.

At least that's how some sports commentators reacted to the appointment of Sven Goran Eriksson to the country's top sporting job.

Humiliation enough that a foreign coach has been drafted in to save football's mother country, but that he should be Swedish would appear to be a step too far for some.

"We've sold our birthright down the fjord to a nation of seven million skiers and hammer throwers who spend half their life in the dark," said the Daily Mail.

To the average Briton, hefty athletes and a shortage of daylight are only half the story. Sweden also stands for Vikings, Volvo cars, Abba, Ulrika Jonsson and flat-pack furniture.

Five straight wins out five later, including a maximum nine World Cup qualifying points, and we would happily throw Tony Blair into the Thames to be replaced by 'Our Sven'!

Roll on the Germans in September

My prediction (wt stylee)
    England 4 Germany 2

Nic'
    {ever hopeful}

. http://www.do-not-call.org

• Englishman
    Englishman

Well, Nicolaou,

I have to agree. Everyone knows that we have the best footballers in the world, what was needed was a touch of nordic cool to cohese them all together.

I notice that you are very pro-English, nice traditional Brit name you have there, HA HA! Do I pick up a touch of Grecian ancestry?

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Boy! How wrong can you get?

• Dansk
    Dansk

Nic,

I must admit you had me going there for a moment - then I saw the posting date! Whew!

All Sven did was earn himself a huge bank balance!!

Ian Who's worried MacLaren won't be any better!!

• Gerard
    Gerard

England's coach -Sven Goran Eriksson- failed to gather some of the most valuable players in the history of England soccer into a coherent team. Add to that their incompetency to score a penalty. The Brit papers are saying that Ronaldo is the most hated man but in fact it was Carragher, Lampard & Gerrard who actually missed the penalties! If there was a CONSPIRACY it was set up by Rooney and Portugal goalkeeper Ricardo as they were key to shatter England's dream. With or without Rooney, Portugal was superior. Rooney messed-up, he stumped on Ricardo Carvalho's testicles and then pushed Ronaldo twice. StOopid Roodney, he should be playing rugby or golf. Viva Portugal!!!!

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

"With or without Rooney, Portugal was superior"

You think so, I thought Portugal were poor.

• Gerard
    Gerard
    You think so, I thought Portugal were poor.

Evidently, not as poor as England. Who won the match?

• City Fan
    City Fan

This World Cup seems to favour any team who has developed the art of falling over like they've been shot at the slightest touch from an opposition player. Ronaldo and tackling 'hardman' Carvalho are two of the worst.

Rooney's only crime was staying on his feet while Carvalho fouled him at least twice. By this stage Carvalho was sat spread legged on the floor right behind Rooney's left studs and deserved to have his nuts cracked.

Then there was Henry's Oscar winning performance against the Spannish. Let's bring back fair hard tackling and get rid of this cheating culture.

Rant over!

• Dansk
    Dansk
    This World Cup seems to favour any team who has developed the art of falling over like they've been shot at the slightest touch from an opposition player.

AGREED! My wife, who isn't a great football fan, said of the games that she HAS watched contained nothing but a bunch of cheats! I'm afraid she's right!!

Regarding Rooney's foul, if you saw the build-up to it you'd have seen two Portuguese players all over him. They were holding and pulling him back - but he didn't get a free-kick.

England were admittedly poor, but so were the Portugese. If the latter get's to the final it'll be because of underhand methods. Remember how they were against Holland!

Ian

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Gerard:

Who won the match?

Ermmm, it was a draw, decided on penalties, so no one won in the allowed playing time. I'm not a football fan as such, but I watched this game with my boyfriend and it seemed to me, with my limited knowledge, that England had more of the chances. As for Portugal, they seemed to fall over a lot and shout at the referee. My bf thinks France will beat them on Wednesday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit