Would you ever go back to an organized religion after leaving the Witnesses

by MicStroz 40 Replies latest jw friends

• MicStroz
    MicStroz

I was wondering just what the percentage would be on those who

have left and at some point turn to another group or church.

I know from my own trials that I will NEVER be a part of any

organization. But that's just how I feel. I grow up as a JW and

feel I was worked over pretty good by them. Could never trust any

group that much again. I have my own beliefs and feel even more

spiritual than when I was a Witness.

• FMZ
    FMZ

I'll drink to that... F*ckers won't get me again... I am my own person.

FMZ

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Well, I have been tempted, but the closer I got to any organized religion, the more turned off I became. So maybe I will at some future time, and maybe I won't.

Right now I'm leaning more toward probably not - I really enjoy my freedom.

I didn't realize until just last week that I hadn't actually become free yet though, because it suddenly occurred to me one day that there were a few things I have always wanted to do, but couldn't because they were "wrong", and now I realize, well, if I really want to, there's really nothing stopping me. So look out!

The only things I've done so far are register to vote and buy a lottery ticket. And speed on the freeway.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I will NEVER affiliate myself with ANY organized religion again. NEVER.

Why? Because the Organization taught me a good lesson: The WTS is not responsible for what JWs

• say
    • do
    • believe
    • how they behave
    • what they teach
    • whether they go door-to-door
    • how they treat family and friends
    • who they shun or don?t shun
    • if they are abusive
    • if they molest children

The WTS is NOT responsible for ANYTHING a member JW does? however? they WILL teach other JWs to shun a person or judge a person or hate a person or religion or country. Yet at the same time, the WTS is NOT responsible if and when a JW does these things.

What did this teach me? It taught me that organized religion serves absolutely NO purpose. The Organization, in their own words, does ABSOLUTLY NOTHING? it is the individual JWs who are acting on their own. Therefore, I do not need any organization.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I doubt seriously I would ever walk into a church again. I was burned so badly by the Witnesses that door is pretty much shut.

Been there done that.

Chris

• talesin
    talesin

Nope, no interest.

Religion is too exclusionary and restrictive for me.

Also, it's not logical.

And, I enjoy my freedom.

iseeitall

I made a list 'to be completed by age 40' for all the teenaged things I didn't get to do. I soaped a water fountain, went skinny dipping, and a few other things. It was fun and gave me back some of my youth!

tal

• codeblue
    codeblue

Religion is a "snare and a racket".

• aunthill
    aunthill

Actually, I have.

I was searching for God when I took a 25 yr detour with the dubs, leaving in 7/94. It took me about 3 years to overcome the brainwashing and go to a non-denominational church (church #1) that my daughter was attending. After going there a few times I went to a friend's very Pentecostal church (church #2), where I eventually got baptized and joined the church. THEN 9/11 happened, and a month later my daughter got baptized at church #1 and my husband decided to go for that. He liked church #1 so much (to my amazement) - and was not, and probably never will be, ready for church #2 - so we have been going there ever since.

I am very suspicious due to my time in the bOrg, and I listen very carefully to what is being said. So far, no doctrinal issues have conflicted with the Bible. However, on minor points, debate is allowed! Not everyone has to believe what somebody else, or the pastor(s) teach. What a concept! No written in stone commands to believe, for example, the people of Sodom and Gomorrah will be resurrected, only to have that changed at a later date to be written in stone that they won't be! Disagreement is permitted, and you don't get kicked out, or even "disciplined" for having a different opinion. If someone gets pregnant out of wedlock, she is not shunned. In fact, people are likely to give her a baby shower and help her out afterward.

I feel that I am in a church where I am free to form my own opinions and follow my own beliefs, within the framework of the church. There I can get fellowship and encouragement from others who believe in God, as well. If the time should come that this church would become dogmatic and rigid, I would find another church.

Aunthill

• Ghosthunter
    Ghosthunter

Absolutely not. There is no place in my world for organized religion of ANY kind. My "church" is walking in the woods or watching a beautiful sunset over the lake.

GH

• Nadsam
    Nadsam

I watch Trinity Bible Network sometimes just for laughs.

Nadsam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit