Abortion, and the population explosion, what your veiw.

by frankiespeakin 134 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bisous
    bisous

Yippee kai yay....one of those rare "moon and stars alignment" moments when I agree with Yeru.

The "popuation explosion" is a myth. IMO all women have absolute right to control over their bodies and any related decisions. period.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Biso,

I think the population is headed towards something that will bring it under control, because that is the way evolution works, it will be brought under control, or it may just become extinct, I don't know the future. Everything that happen happens for a reason, which are too numerous to understand.

But perhaps I could suggest this:

That since man "evolved" with a brain that has gained the ability to read dna ,,,and,,, restructure it,,, that this brain may also give us insight as to the best way to preserve our spiecies,, and perhaps cause us to voluntarily do things that make life much more comfortable which may include puting strict limits on the population.

I don't know if this would ever happen but I would not be surprised if it did.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

The problem is not population, per se, it is how much of the earth's resources each person uses, how much space they take up, how much waste (paper, plastic, car exhaust) they use. How much of the planet we pave so each one can drive around in their SUV...

The more people on earth who want the "modern Western" standard of living, which is geared more to make money for companies who sell products to consumers than to live sensibly on the earth, the fewer people the earth can 'handle'...wasn't it Ghandi who said that if the population of India lived the way people in the U.S. did they would "strip the world bare like locusts"??

The earth could handle many more people who don't 'use' and 'consume' as much in terms of resources, than it has right now. However, if each person now living consumed as much as the top few do, I'm not sure the earth could sustain the current population...

• donkey
    donkey

I guess I can't contribute to this thread because I am not a Chritian Right Winder or an Atheist Left Winger.

You guys with your labels are so ridiculous...one has to be one or the other?

• donkey
    donkey
    Back hundreds of years ago the human population was kept in a some what "steady state",,, by things suck as: war,, famine,, disease,, and survival of the fitest. Now with less war fatalities,,,, cures for many diseases, better understanding of nutrition,, longer life expectancies,, and more efficient food production,, it seems that something will have to be done to control the now out of control human population explosion. AIDS in Africa is taking care of the African growth

Great....so if America starts growing again should we just inject the Americans with AIDS?

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

An ageing population is the next problem to come, after the population explotion has slowed down. Already, countries like Japan and Germany are experiencing a declining population, and most European countries are experiencing it - but it is counterweighted by the net-immigration from Africa, Asia, Latin America, illegals, refugees etc. The problem is, and on a far larger scale will be, who will take care of the elderly, who will become nurses, who will take care of the ones in retirement homes, institutions for the ones of old age, the terminally ill ones, the ones dying etc.

It all moves or goes in waves - after the population has been decimated in a century or so, large areas will be wasteland, and the there will be a new explosion and so the road goes forever on.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    In my opinion I think it much better for a 14 year old to get an abortion than to be saddled with a child at such a young age, for it really is a big responsiblity, which also puts this person at a serious disavantage latter on.

It would be better if she lived in a society that really cared for her and her child.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

This whole discussion is based upon an assumption that abortion and the population explosion are linked.

As such it is a strawman argument.

Abortion should only really be used if contraception fails, or for physical or emotional health reasons, and then it's best to do it early. Using abortion as birth control is an irresponsible waste of resources and is riskier than using contraception.

Abortion is typically only a major issue in areas where there are a lot of people with religiously based opinions about the sanctity of the unborn's life, where sex education is so bad that many people end up using abortion as a form of birth control 'after-the-event', or where contraception is not freely available.

Sex has nothing to do with needing abortions; I assure you that young Dutch people, for example, are as horny as young Amercian people, but are so much better educated about their bodies and sex that the teen-pregnancy rate is 1/8th of that in the USA.

Essentially the predominately right-wing Christian anti-abortion movement is the author of more abortions than the cross-wing multi- and non-denominational pro-choice movement. In additon to opposing abortion they are typically against the reforms in education that would reduce abortions.

Whatever lip-service they pay to freedom of religion and choice, it's obvious from their actions that compliance with their own beliefs is far more important than the unborn they supposedly care for and the affects of unwanted pregnancy on the most vulnerable.

The day I see orphanages set up by these people, when I see people opposed to abortion signing up to adopt babies, when I see programs for women who decide to give up for adoption a child they have conceived accidentally that ensure they are supported during their pregnancy when they can no longer work, then I will believe that they care about the unborn more than forcing other people to follow their beliefs, as these actions would have an immediate affect on those they claim to care for.

• Celia
    Celia

Abaddon expressed my thoughts exactly. Parents should know better, they were teenagers once too... Talk to your kids about sex. They will all do it anyway, sooner or later. So allow them to do it safely. Give the pill to your daughters and condoms to your sons.

The day I see orphanages set up by these people, when I see people opposed to abortion signing up to adopt babies, when I see programs for women who decide to give up for adoption a child they have conceived accidentally that ensure they are supported during their pregnancy when they can no longer work, then I will believe that they care about the unborn more than forcing other people to follow their beliefs, as these actions would have an immediate affect on those they claim to care

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Geesh,

You'd think from reading some responses that I'm in favor of AIDS or something....the comment was made to point out to our "thread starter" that "mother nature" is still playing a role in "population control" AIDS is no better than any other pestilence that has killed mankind.

Funky,

I'm not against condoms at all...I'm against both abortion and Aids.

I do agree that a woman should have control over her body and her reproduction...I just disagree with the seeming majority here who think that the fetus with a completely different DNA profile is part of the woman's body.

Thanks for publishing the article about the myth of population explosion.

There is a HUGE difference between being physically mature enough to reproduce...and being mentally mature enough to make responsible reproductive choices. Sure, teach sex ed...but make sure that abstienence is a part of that education program. The answer to teen pregnancy isn't having girls going around popping the pill.

I'm still in favor of desexualizing society...and that's got to come from parents...and consumers. Do we really want our kids watching programs that glorify casual sex? Use sex to sell anything and everything? I'm not a prude...but I'm doing a lot of thinking on this here lately...I feel a thread coming on.

Can't we all just get along?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit