Abortion, and the population explosion, what your veiw.

by frankiespeakin 134 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

One of the very real dangers that we face today is the population explosion. I read that the world's population "now" doubles about every 40 years,

This explosive rate is like cancer,, that no longer follows the proper cell multiplication arrangement in the body and threatens the life of the organism.

Back hundreds of years ago the human population was kept in a some what "steady state",,, by things suck as: war,, famine,, disease,, and survival of the fitest. Now with less war fatalities,,,, cures for many diseases, better understanding of nutrition,, longer life expectancies,, and more efficient food production,, it seems that something will have to be done to control the now out of control human population explosion.

As with all things, when we fix one thing, we throw out of balance something else.

I'm all for limiting the size of families, in order to preserve the earth ecco-system, in fact I think the nations really need to give a lot more serious attention to this, to avoid a more serious problem in the future.

I am for a womens rights to have an abortion, I really think this needs to be respected.

In my opinion I think it much better for a 14 year old to get an abortion than to be saddled with a child at such a young age, for it really is a big responsiblity, which also puts this person at a serious disavantage latter on.

I know this can be a heated subject, and that the Christian rightwingers feel very strongly about this, but what are your veiws??

• talesin
    talesin

I feel that women should have the 'right to choose'. Also, we need to educate the kids, why are we so afraid to have them talk about sex? If they had better information, they would not get pregnant.

Open dialogue about sex - why are so many afraid to have this a part of school? We are ALL going to have sex, people. Even if it's only with ourselves ... (heheh)

But seriously, you raise a good point, I agree that a 15-year-old should not have to have a baby, but let's go to the root of the problem, why is a child having sex? and it's the 21st century, she should be educated about her own body!

talesin

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

The population "explosion" is a myth. The reports I've read say we'll top out at about 9 billion...the only places with any real growth are China and Africa...and mother nature is stopping the growth in Africa. Besides which...the world could probably handle close to 20 billion.

Back hundreds of years ago the human population was kept in a some what "steady state",,, by things suck as: war,, famine,, disease,, and survival of the fitest. Now with less war fatalities,,,, cures for many diseases, better understanding of nutrition,, longer life expectancies,, and more efficient food production,, it seems that something will have to be done to control the now out of control human population explosion. AIDS in Africa is taking care of the African growth

As with all things, when we fix one thing, we throw out of balance something else.

I'm all for limiting the size of families, in order to preserve the earth ecco-system, in fact I think the nations really need to give a lot more serious attention to this, to avoid a more serious problem in the future. So you favor forced abortion such as China has?

I am for a womens rights to have an abortion, I really think this needs to be respected. Personally, I didn't know you had the right to kill a baby.

In my opinion I think it much better for a 14 year old to get an abortion than to be saddled with a child at such a young age, for it really is a big responsiblity, which also puts this person at a serious disavantage latter on. Perhaps the answer there is to try to desexualize society. If it's seen as ok for 14 year olds to be deciding to have sex then perhaps the teen pregnancy problem starts there. If she can decide to have sex...decide to have an abortion...why can't she vote...or get a job...or decide to keep the baby...which seems to me to be your inference here....that the 14 year old should be FORCED to have the abortion... Look, if she's old enough to decide to have sex...shouldn't she be old enough to decide who to vote for?

I know this can be a heated subject, and that the Christian rightwingers feel very strongly about this, but what are your veiws?? How will the athiest left wingers feel?

• talesin
    talesin

For what it's worth, I agree with Yeru.

t

Edit: About the population explosion, NOT about abortion

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=117&art_id=vn20040325144018916C322275&set_id=1

There was an article just recently:

Population explosion myth... explodes

By Genaro C Armas

The world's population growth is slowing because women are having fewer children and more people are dying from Aids, especially in Africa.

This is according to a United States Census Bureau report released this week. It forecasts that there will be nearly 9,1 billion people by 2050, a near 50 percent increase from the 6,2 billion in 2002. However, the growth rate is slowing significantly.

The global population grew 1,2 percent from 2001 to 2002, or about 74 million people, but growth will slow to 0,42 percent by 2050. That's far below the peak growth of 2,2 percent between 1963 and 1964.

Women gave birth to an average of 2,6 children over their lifetime
    The projections are generally in line with separate forecasts from the United Nations and private researchers. The 2050 world projection is slightly lower than the 9,3 billion forecast in a previous bureau report on the topic in 1998.

Bureau officials warned that such forecasts are based on two factors that could change: fertility rates in developing countries and the Aids epidemic.

Generally, in the United States and Europe, women are having fewer children, while fertility rates remain high in India, parts of Africa and some other developing countries, said Carl Haub, a demographer with the Population Reference Bureau, a private research group.

The wild card is how prevalent contraceptive use and family planning becomes in these countries, Haub said. As an example, he cited India, where the population is expected to rise more than 50 percent to 1,6 billion in 2050, surpassing China as the most populous country.

According to the bureau, there are at least 100 million women in the world's developing countries who would like to space or limit their pregnancies, but are not using contraception.
    Aids has killed more than 20 million
    Family planning education in India and Africa is difficult because of the large numbers
    of rural villages that cannot easily be reached, Haub said.

In 2002, the world's women gave birth to an average of 2,6 children over their lifetime.

The bureau projections assume that the fertility rate will drop below two children a woman by 2050.

Meanwhile, Aids has killed more than 20 million people since the epidemic began two decades ago. Twice that many people now live with HIV, the virus that leads to Aids, and barring major medical breakthroughs, most of these people are expected to die within the next 10 years, the bureau said.

Aids continues to have its greatest impact in developing countries of Asia, Latin America and especially sub-Saharan Africa. Botswana and South Africa are among countries that may see population decline because of Aids deaths.

"Aids alone is devastating the heart of these countries, affecting people in the prime years of not only their economic production, but the prime years of reproduction," said Steve Mosher, president of the Population Research Institute, a group that opposes population controls as a way to curb growth.

"Population control efforts make no sense in the face of the Aids epidemic," Mosher said.

Still, the bureau report said the trend could reverse if Aids education programmes are expanded successfully in developing nations, and pointed to positive signs in Thailand, Senegal and Uganda, nations in which the Aids epidemic appears to have been stemmed.

The report also predicted the continued increase in the world's older population. In 2002, people 65 and older made up seven percent of the population, but that age group will account for nearly 17 percent by 2050. - Sapa-AP

• This article was originally published on page 12 of The Daily News on March 25, 2004

Published on the Web by IOL on 2004-03-25 14:40:00

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

AIDS in Africa is taking care of the African growth

Yeru, do you think that AIDS is a better means of population control than abortion? Better than condoms?

• FirstInLine
    FirstInLine

The population doubles about every 30 years actually. And, as in the past, famine, war and disease will likely set us back yet again. This time around an energy crisis could aggravate the degree that most of these variables would have otherwise played.

Abortion is not a viable solution to population growth. That opinion, if intended, only reinforces my belief that abortion is viewed now as a form of birth control which amplifies the lack of responsibilty people feel with regard to sex in the first place, perhaps increasing the number of births and incidence of VD.

• talesin
    talesin

FIL

I agree with you (that abortion is not a viable form of birth-control).

Also, just to let you know, NONE of the women I know regard abortion as a form of birth control.

That attitude is, imho, very rare.

tal

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

FiL,

I would like to say, also along with Tailsin, that abortion should not be used a a means to control the population. The reason I brought up the population explosion is that it should figure in, somewhere, with our view on abortion.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

"In my opinion I think it much better for a 14 year old to get an abortion than to be saddled with a child at such a young age, for it really is a big responsiblity, which also puts this person at a serious disavantage latter on. Perhaps the answer there is to try to desexualize society. If it's seen as ok for 14 year olds to be deciding to have sex then perhaps the teen pregnancy problem starts there. If she can decide to have sex...decide to have an abortion...why can't she vote...or get a job...or decide to keep the baby...which seems to me to be your inference here....that the 14 year old should be FORCED to have the abortion... Look, if she's old enough to decide to have sex...shouldn't she be old enough to decide who to vote for?"

Sorry for the red font: I spent a lot of time trying to change it; I failed!::

Well, therein is the paradox. Although they are not fully adults by all other standards in our society, 14 year olds ARE sexually mature, have sexual drives, CAN get pregnant and bear children, and, actually a few hundred years ago actually were MARRIED at 14.

But, we say, she's not old enough to vote, to drive a car, to drink alcohol, so therefore, she should not be educated about sex. And certainly NOT be able to make a decision about whether she wants to abort a pregnancy.

Major, major disconnect here folks. The Netherlands (where I lived for a while) boasts the absolute LOWEST rate of teenage pregnancies in the world. They are proud of it. They attribute that low rate to early and ongoing education about sex, birth control, and basically, a PRACTICAL approach to sex and prevention of pregnancy and disease.

Guess you could say that, technically, because a person isn't allowed to vote in this country until age 21, they should not be allowed to make decisions with regard to their sex life and body.

Go ahead and say that. Realists accept reality. Not idealism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit