Avatars and Perception: A Study On The Effects of Visual Impression

by new light 51 Replies latest jw friends

• new light
    new light

How much does a persons avatar affect how you view them? I mean, don't you picture the avatar when you think of the person, if that's all you have to go by? I know I do, at least if the avy is a photo of a human. Case in point, Dustyb. He can post all the photos he wants, but in my mind he is that red-faced moron of the avatar.

Another question: Have you ever wanted to make fun of someone's picture, say something like where did you find that one? Only trouble is you don't know if that is really them. I won't mention any names here, but you ugly avys know who you are.

P.S. I came across one of those red M&M figures at someone's house, and my first subconscious thought was "Minimus." This place is weird, man.

• JH
    JH

Some people have the same avatar since always, so I make a link between the poster and the avatar. A poster with no avatar looks dull, or without personality.

And if you don't see mine, do "refresh". I change mine every day.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Does mine give a inkling of what kind of person I am?

Fred Sanford the canterkous, mean, foul mouthed, yet loving and caring at times?

• new light
    new light
    Fred Sanford the canterkous, mean, foul mouthed, yet loving and caring at times?

GMFH: I love Fred Sanford. Made me think we have something in common when I saw your avatar. Your old one with the pig tails and freaky face was another perfect example of what I meant. I pictured you as a large white guy in his early twenties that liked to wear dresses and such, kind of like Shannon Hoon, the late singer for Blind Melon. Obviously way off the mark (I think). That picture was a classic, dummy!!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yep .. I absolutely relate to people as being their pictures.Especially our lady members (Real picture or not, it fires my imagination) No one to be singled out..

Incidentally, I look nothing like John Belushi. I just love the music and it is a play on the witness term "Brother"....Keep the pictures coming if you do not have one yet

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I want to know if Blondie looks like Deborah Harry.

Then of course there's Farkel with the Alfred E. Newman thing, seeing that used as an avatar inevitably colors your impression of the poster behind it.

I've seen pictures of Elsewhere (on this board) so the Alfalfa avatar doesn't have the same effect as it would had I never seen what he really looks like.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

It's funny but when I meet people from this board, I have a terrible time remembering what their avatar looks like. But it is interesting the pictures people choose as their avatar, I think it does say something about them or at least how they view themselves.

Chris

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

# How much does a persons avatar affect how you view them?#

LOL! I had only to read your opening line and immediately thought of Dustyb and how HIS avatar affected ME every time I saw it! And yeah, I think that the pictures we choose can and DO have the ability to make a mental connection between the poster and what we perceive him to actually look like...as least to ME anyway.

In mine, I'm actually a comfy "sit-down-and-have-a-cuppa" kind of person, although considering the nature of a lot of my "anti-JW" posts, the anger detracts from the "nice" me...

hugs,

Annie.......who can switch from halo to horns in an instant when the "WTS" buttons are pushed!

• rocketman
    rocketman
    P.S. I came across one of those red M&M figures at someone's house, and my first subconscious thought was "Minimus." This place is weird, man.

Scary.

• Xena
    Xena
    but you ugly avys know who you are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit