Passing the time at JW Assemblies

by Leolaia 66 Replies latest jw friends

• yxl1
    yxl1

probably because you ditched that scarey picture you used to have....gave me the willies

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I know what you mean about passing time in between sessions. It really was never enough time to explore the locality where we were, and we were never allowed to take naps, or bring a novel or something other than JW literature to read. It was soooooooo boring, that I learned just to volunteer my time behind the scenes. It helped make everything go so much faster, on those very long, and usually very hot days.

/<

• blondie
    blondie
    8. To pick up your weekly supply of toilet paper.
    6. To Practice your brown nosing techneques.

William, were 6 and 8 related?

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

When I was young it was easy to pass the time by volunteering. When my circumstances changed and I could no longer volunteer then the fight to stay awake in the afternoon was fought with chewing on mints (not gum of course that was not allowed ), looking for people I knew, taking notes to avoid nodding off and clapping! Yes, a good clap every now and then helps to keep the blood going while sitting in those uncomfortable assembly chairs.

Sabrina

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

reading John Grisham, Stehpen Hunter, David Morrell books, i put them in jdub books (minus thepages) and people would think i am studious. The Assemblies are boring and when i learned the truth about the troof, i was no longer intersted in what they had to say.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

When I was a kid I was either passing my time by looking at people with binoculars or volunteering for any work I could find... interestingly this was the only situation I have ever seen in my life where being seen in an apron and pushing a cart was seen as a "status symbol".

In my final years I managed to get in an awful lot of sleep at the conventions. It's interesting... thinking back I can literally gauge how non-JW I was becoming by the percentage of time I spent asleep. Toward the end I would nod awake when the songs and announcements were made... but I would never totally wake up... I would quickly nod back to sleep. I would only wake up to eat and then to leave as quickly as possible at the end.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Studying all the different umbrella patterns was a favorite past time. I would count how many of each type of umbrella I could spot in each section and then add them up for the grand total. It was interesting too, because each year you could notice a new umbrella pattern or style that had just come out in the stores - what JW had the monopoly on the umbrella business?

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

From an early age, I could successfully enter a state of mind in which I truly seemed to be somewhere else, doing something entirely different. I much later learned that I was inducing out-of-body experiences.

In my teens, I began experimenting with tantric/isotonic muscle excercises, in which I could sit perfectly still, and contract/relax particular muscle groups, with pleasant results. Many hours could be passed in this manner.

• razorMind
    razorMind
    Looking at the interesting refracting patterns the arena floodlights made on my eyeglasses when looking thru them at an angle
    I drifted in and out of this zone during the assembly program. Sometimes in my semi coma state I would play a game where i would stare out at the masses and focus on the color yellow--my brain could pick out everyone wearing yellow and the pattern that the yellow people made up all together in the crowd. I would go through all the colors blue, brown, grey--lots of brown, grey and black.

I don't know which is scarier---the fact that I did the exact same things during the sessions, or that the sessions were boring enough to necessitate doing them.....

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Oh, yeah ,,, gotta check out the sisters. Then, gotta go to the bathroom.

Then, I'm hungry. Gotta slip out to the RV in the parking lot to grab a snack.

Tired of the seats in this arena. Gotta walk around for a while. I can still hear the loudspeakers out in the corridor.

Ohhh .. THAT was a cutie that just walked by ...

(repeat for a few days)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit