Passing the time at JW Assemblies

by Leolaia 66 Replies latest jw friends

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha
    Practice writing people's names in Elvish script

I wish I'd known you back then.

Here's some of my things.

1. Borrow Dad's "Drama Binoculars" to check out the "sisters"
    2. Counting the lights, and then the ceilign tiles (if the venue had them), then recounting and checking for errors.
    3. Imagine various heavy things falling from the ceiling
    4. Pretending I was one of the Tomorrow People, and mentally jamming the speaker. Whenever he stammered or lost he place, I had a brief private thrill. Maybe...
    5. Putting Salivdor Dali moustaches on faces in illustrations in the literature.
    6. Various daydreaming, sometimes helped with the aid of Drama Binoculars.
    7. Hiding erection, hoping it would go away before the song. (see above)
    8. Writing out the program in dwarven runes (see.. coulda been made for each other.
    9. Talking to a friend till we got in trouble.
    10. Finger puppets!
    11. Falling aslep during baptismal prayer, then catching myself falling asleep during the baptismal prayer, then having to say a prayer for forgiveness for falling asleep in the middle of the baptismal prayer, quickly finishing it with a fast andinjesusnameweprayamen routing call, before getting back in sync with main prayer.
    12. Reading the new literature (passed the time)
    13. Wishing orange juice would thaw. Holding it, to encourage it to thaw.
    14. Imaginging the girl from the next congregation sitting across from elderly seating was thinking about me.
    15. Imagining brutally murdering the boy five years older then both me and the girl from the next congregation with a pick-ax, when he gets up to go walk around the hall with the girl from the next congregation.
    16. Watching old man in front of me pick his nose and then eat the evidence. (February 1985, IIRC)
    17. Wondering why the Drama director had the Israelite soldiers armed with cheap Japanese katanas, when they wouldn't be invented for another 2000 years or so.
    18. Playing back episodes of Dr. Who in my mind.
    19. When older.. just walk out with the then-wife and get some air.
    20. When slightly older then that.. walk the baby out in the halls, somtimes. Not nearly as often as I should have.
    21. Feeling slightly guily about all of the above, wondering if Jehovah would kill me for it.
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

So judging at the responses so far, it looks like "girl/boy watching" is by far the most common activity, aside from counting ceiling tiles.

Writing out the program in dwarven runes (see.. coulda been made for each other.

Cool...Good to know that I wasn't the only one writing in Middle Earth scripts during assemblies. I was also into writing names into Hebrew too. That was seemed a better choice since if I got caught, I could claim I was taking notes in a Bible language.

Playing back episodes of Dr. Who in my mind.

Nice. Were those Baker episodes or Pertwee episodes? I know you are not considered a "real" Dr. Who fan if you say you like Pertwee better than Baker, but I do.

• nojudgement
    nojudgement

Leolaia - Yes, I know, I could hardly believe people in the hall when they would sigh and get all starry-eyed because the convention was only "weeks away." I would just be plain resentful that I was using precious vacation days to be bored out of my mind. At least towards the end of my JW career I was comfortable in an indoor place. Growing up...I would swelter in the Dodger Stadium heat - staring at someone's umbrella all day long. Then the drama would come and everyone had to put the umbrella's down - that's when I'd get a 3rd degree burn from the beaming sun. Although, in some ways those were the good old days because back then you could eat a bucket of chicken in your seat during the session. My cousin actually projectile coughed a chicken skin on a sister's afro in front of us. We couldn't stop laughing because her afro was soo big she didn't feel it. We got in big trouble!!!

• Celtic
    Celtic

Since in the past 3 hrs O got tpotally piffed, I've decided to post speelling mistakes an all. Fcuk it.

Anyway, when my would be wife an me were courting, it was a cold day at Plymouth convention an we were huddled up underneath a blanket on the terraces, we whisperted in each others ears.

Ten minutes later, she was wanking me off beautifully whilst I played with her clitoris, keepin straight face was difficult, but ruddy well worth the orgasms that followed.

Kindest regards

Celtic

• new light
    new light
    Anyway, when my would be wife an me were courting, it was a cold day at Plymouth convention an we were huddled up underneath a blanket on the terraces, we whisperted in each others ears.

Ten minutes later, she was wanking me off beautifully whilst I played with her clitoris, keepin straight face was difficult, but ruddy well worth the orgasms that followed.

Enter Kingdom Melodies......."Marriage is God's arrangement, brings blessings to mankind......"

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I attended circuit assemblies at Bliss also, but I was very young so I dont remember the interior details. One night when in Bethel I volunteered to work late after work to fix a leaky pipe on the roof of the Bliss. We built a tent around the leaky pipe so that the cold weather wouldn't freeze it any more till it could be fixed in the morning.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

This has all been too funny!! It has drawn me in to being a first time poster - I was a lifer to age 50, having raised my kids "the only way I knew how"... Faded out about a year now - thankfully, kids are out too and never had done the obligatory to parents thing of baptism - all enjoying life with no accidents or cancers occurring yet as prophecied to happen when you leave.

Assembly memories:

In the 60's with the long...........assemblies, wasn't it 8 days in Milwaukee? - anyway, full on meals were served and all the food was prepared under the big tents to feed the thousands at lunchtime. How we looked forward to peeling potatoes and snapping green beans DURING the program! Also, banging the big tin trays around that the meals were served on, wrapping the silverware in napkins. They usually had big speakers out and around but fortunately the sound was of pretty poor quality so we didn't have to actually hear it. The brothers (chefs so to speak) were stirring the big pots of beans or whatever and taking nips regularly from their stash of bottles under the counters. All my years growing up I remember this at every assembly in the kitchen. My folks even documented it in photos.

My son's favorite activity during the session from the time he learned to tell "time" at about 3 - was to TIME every single speaker, making a complicated chart of what the actual length of the talk was supposed to be, what the actual time length WAS, and then, a colume that showed how many minutes or seconds the guy went OVERTIME! He would excitedly be nudging me and pointing at his watch or timer that he brought to inform me that "this guy is a loser, he went OVER HIS ALLOTED TIME!" He did this up until 18 years old - along with filling in (like on a scantron sheet), EVERY letter in EVERY WORD in the study book or WA being studied at the meeting. The org. stimulates OCD symptoms!!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Finally someone who really enjoyed themselves at a convention! I was wondering where all the theocratic types were!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

4JWY and nojudgement.... Welcome to the forum!!!

nojudgement....That story is too funny! :) I don't recall food projectiles but I do remember some brother getting sick and vomiting. I lucked out all along having an indoor arena. 4JWY....Hey I remember those loooong conventions too. The first one I went to in 1978 (the year the My Book of Bible Stories was released, I think), the first day was on Wednesday in the evening and it went on to Thursday and then Friday and Sanurday had morning, afternoon, and evening sessions, plus Sunday.... a real, mammoth convention. The local newspaper even had a special section devoted all to the convention. I vaguely recall the kitchen and maybe one year helping out, but it was so long ago I'm not sure if that is the case or not.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Leolaia thanks for the welcome. Yes, assemblies were day and night........... till 9 p.m. and then with the overtime last speaker......................oh, and the final prayer. My son used to time that final prayer too!! I should post one of his charts as I've saved some of them for some more laughs.

The most excitement I ever had as a kid was when the person behind me had a seizure and was grabbing my head and shoulders, moaning and drooling.

My husband just reminded me of the time at the summer outdoor stadium during one of the long drawn out final prayers, a seagull swooped down and crapped on a sleeping kid's head, waking him up, the kid starts fussing, the dad tells him to cut the crap, and the kid says, "but Dad, something's on my head!!!" Finally as the father feels the kid's head he realizes the kid had reason to be fussing! It's a TRUE story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit