Things you threw away when becoming a witness

by JH 39 Replies latest jw friends

• aunthill
    aunthill

I threw out family heirloom antique Christmas ornaments, among other things. I never told my mother, but I'm sure she guessed. I can't believe the pain this cult caused us to inflict on our loved ones.

Aunthill

• kilroy2
    kilroy2

I can remember going to the assembly in st. pet. fla. and a elder giving a talk on music. he even had a reel to reel with queen on it and played it backwards. he claimed it said decied to smoke marj. I was not convinced even though I got rid of my ofencive tapes to keep my job with the schmidt of arcadia. I got a reel to reel and we taped a coulple of us singing the same song and played it backwards. guess what it sounded the same you could kind of say it said decied to smoke marj. so it was just the words not something put in afterwords. and here you have this fat ass elder giving more crap that most borg wont question and we are throwing out our tapes. I threw out a styx belt buckel I really liked. I have since got many cds from mind numb dubbs as I am always keeping an eye out for the rush to throw. and intercept. last hall I got 16, kept some and sold the rest for albums I like. you know I still cant get the record store to give me a thin dime for any of the dubbs melodys.lol

they will never influence me to do any thing excpt fight them again. we shall fight them on the streets we shall fight then on the internet. and in the bulletin boards. and the schools. picture me with a bola hat and a big cigar. for efect

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

My great granfather gave me his ouija board. Never got a chance to play with it before my mom burned it outside. My childhood sucked- I never had any fun.

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Well, on this one point anyway, you're probably better off (loosing the Ouija board). I don't think it's something to play with, IMO.

Steve

• prophecor
    prophecor

I was one to constantly throw away music cassettes, often taking them on a long distance ride on the subway, finding this special place at the 30th street train station, at the bridge where the river can be viewed in its glory. I'd say a prayer over them, and thereafter I would commit them to the river, cassettes as well as the sizeable suitcase like container that held them. Waiting to hear the splash was awsome, at least so I thought, I'd then go home to a room that was devoid of funk. Only to have my desire to return to me with a vengence some season or so later. Then I'm often replacing the very same music that I'd disposed of previously. Earth Wind & Fire, Brothers Johnson, Rufus & Chaka Khan, as well as a host of my most favored hard rock music,Pink Floyd, The Police (Syncronicity)

I had a diverse collection because of my broad taste in music.

We being such a do-ism, legalistic, dogmatic bunch of believers that it became impossible to see, hear or be entertained by anything short of the Kingdom Melodies because when the question comes up in study articles, "Are You Being Entertained By What Jehovah Hates?" ,the question would come in my sick twisted mind, Is there anyone not connected with Jehovahs" organization that he does not hate? Therefore cancelling out nearly all forms of entertainment from TV shows to virtually all forms of music,and even if the music wasn't espousing any demeaning cultural or moral values, one then was encouraged to take into consideration the possible practices and lifestyle habits of these individuals.Were they homosexuals? Did these individuals do drugs? One not only was encouraged to consider the content of the entertainment, but we were also needing to judge the possible worth of these individuals character as human beings.

The ritualistic, legalistic, judging to be un-worthy, holier than whoever lifestyle really began to tear into my own character to the point of becoming a static shell of a human "doing" and not a human being!!!

• WhyNow2000
    WhyNow2000

The phrase: "The bible CLEARLY shows at ...."

• OICU8it2
    OICU8it2

A print of the painting "the Elegy" showing the devil being bound with a chain thru his chest while Martin Luther King, Bobby and John Kennedy. and various popes of the past were watching from above. I can't find this painting anywhere and don't remember the artist's name. It was dark and smoky and deep red. I'd love to find one for sale.

• blondie
    blondie

I didn't throw anything away, but I have a long list of things I could not buy or do.

Blondie

• eteacher
    eteacher

I can say that being raised a JW almost led me to throw away my GOD given intelligence. I can vividly remember my mother and some of her JW friends tell me that I shouldn't be a nurse because nurses wouldn't be needed in the new system. Well, never mind the fact that I had to feed and clothe myself and my daughter in the old system. I was supposed to follow the path of least resistance and become a pioneer and find a nice boring, possibly perverted, definitely not my type "brother" and get married. Yeah, right!!! When you talk about throwing things away how about the chance to go to my jr. prom, sr. ball, any field trips outside of the Kingdom Hall, any celebrations that acknowledged my existence on this earth, music concerts, how about just throwing your whole teenage life away. Not to mention the wonderful experience of being asked to either stay home or go sit in the library during all birthday parties in your elementary classes. Then of course there is that little thing could your own free will. That is the first thing you throw away when you become part of an organization that requires you to meet 3 times a week for no less than an hour every week, attend assemblies on various weekends which last all day, and participate in an oftentimes embarrassing ritual of knocking on strange people's doors to be verbally and sometimes physically abused. Well, thanks for allowing my to vent. Big ups on the topic!!!! By the way after leaving the organization I had 2 more children by a total jerk, which probably was a direct result of my insecurity and my inability to think for myself. I was so happy to be away from my mother and that organization I clung to the most awful person I had ever met. However, I can attest to the fact that there is life after the JW's and bad controlling relationships. I went to college at the age of 24 and earned a B.A. in English Lit and am now working as a substitute English teacher in an inner city. GOD has been good to me even when the JW's were not.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

I 'threw' away an offer from my non-jw Dad...to pay in full all my college costs... I said,"No, thanks." I started Pioneering, he kicked me out, I ended up sharing a large newspaper route with another pioneer, while everyone else was getting an education.

Of course I was the smarter one, after all, Armeggadon was gonna BE here in 1975 ! Just 3 little years... H E Y. ..wait...let's see 2004 -1975 = 29 ? 29 years...naw, something must be...aw, S H I T E ! I hate it when that happens...!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit