Since leaving how have you changed?

by Joysome 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• mouthy
    mouthy

I pass the KH on purpose & I pray for everyone in there to be free from bondage. Isnt it great to know we can agree to disagree... & still love UNCONDITIONALLY!!!!LOL

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I think the real me never left when I became a JW. She was buried there, all along, trying to get out.

I was 17 when JWs started to transform my thinking and my life. I became inactive when I was 31 or so. I read Crisis Of Conscience two and half years ago and that convinced me beyond a shadow of doubt the WTBTS is a snare and a racket.

Now, the real me has escaped her prison. She has grown in years, experience and wisdom. Okay, wisecrackers, I do too have a little bit of wisdom. Really I do. Honest. I extract the good things I got from the org. and keep them and I formulate more adult ideas, since I was 17 when I got snagged by the borg.

Ever since I found JWD a couple of years ago, started reading and then finally signed on, I have noticed a bit more anger well in me. I think the anger is part of the healing process. I hope it will calm down soon. I'm weary from it.

Heather

• Strawberryfieldsforever
    Strawberryfieldsforever

I'm with Mouthy on this one. I can now have good friends who are the kind of people I used to look down on. I don't judge them anymore, besides, I really wasn't any better than they were. I've come to find out that beautiful people are out there. I also say "Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday" to the kids on my school bus and the guilty feeling is finally gone. Wow! What a relief!

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

The single biggest change is that I believe that each individual can make a positive difference in the world, and I now act on that belief. This is obviously different than we were taught.

• Special K
    Special K

Hi Joy..

I've been out 11 years........

The way I think and what I believe is almost like a complete reversal of the J.W. thinking.

...I became good friends with several lesbians... and discovered they are just people like me, good, kind, ..better friends than I had in the J.W. faith.

..My husband and I became closer since leaving the J.W.'s.

..I'm more forgiving and accepting of people and especially my husband and kids.

..I don't sweat the small stuff so much anymore. .. not so obsessive about every little "Rule"..Remember the J.W.'s were big on rules and looking up rules in books.

..I don't try to measure up to anything any more.. I just am "ME!"..

The fear is finally gone. I'm not afraid of death or armageddon anymore. I'm not afraid of God or Jesus or Satan or any of that stuff... It's a real good feeling when those fears are gone.

sincerely

Special K

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

It has taken time for me to accept that it OK to have differing veiw points and not to feel that God is some how going to cause my demise for asking questions. I now know that I am free to ask questions that likely have no ansures, but at the same time I am free to ask them with no retribution. Ah what a feeling!

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

There's hundreds of things that have changed but I would think the number one is my changing my opion on pro-choice. I was very much against abortion yet after working for the Child Welfare Services for three years I started to see thaty if we forced women to have children there would be hundreds of more such children thrown away.

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

I never could understand why I was supposed to feel bad for wanting to rejoice about being born on given date or rejoicing on my kids day of birth. As though the bloom / miracle of life is not special.

• new light
    new light

I have come to believe that I know nothing. My beliefs were shaken to the core and I am now standing in a pile of fragments. All traces of spiritual faith have gone. I don't know why this happened, as I believed in God strongly for a while after leaving. After a while, I couldn't bring myself to read the bible. It had nothing to do with guilt or laziness, just an all of a sudden lack of interest. I'm not sure if this is good or bad.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I actually think I got more uptight. When I was a witness I could handle all the stuff people did like promiscuity, and drinking and drugs. Now that I think I'm in the same temptation I have no respect for people who fall into the trap. I think if I can not do it with as much if not more temptation than most people they should be able to as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit