Annual guilt trip - Memorial time!

by FreeWilly 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Well I spoke with my Mom this past week. She made sure to remind me that the Memorial was coming. She pressed me for a promise to attend. I told her I'm not really interested in that anymore. This launched another argument about the 'troof'. She ask "what happened to you, you used to be so strong in the truth but now you don't do anything with it". I told her that the 'troof' relies too heavily on an organization and that you end up following what others tell you rather than making your own decisions. She said God always had an organization. I asked her "who was the organization 500 years ago?" She couldn't say. I said that there are so many voices (religions) competing for your attention. All of them feel they are right and all of them think you should follow them. I told her I intend to "wait on Jehovah" to clarify things before I trust the Society's men. I also mentioned the Scripture in Psalms 146:3 - "do not put your trust in .... men, in whom no salvation belongs". She replied that I was being "arrogant" for expecting God to deal personally with me. I replied that "I see too much wrong with 'The Society' to believe that God is directing things". For instance God wouldn't allow an innocent person to die because of a mistake he made. Yet JW's have died from refusing organ transplants and vaccinations, which were taught to be wrong, but later changed. She said humans make mistakes and you can't blame God for human imperfections. I replied "EXACTLY!" It was humans who made those mistakes - not God, which shows me that imperfect humans are directing the organization. I also mentioned the UN and how the Society regards it as the "Disgusting thing" and "image of the wild beast", yet 'the Society' secretly joined it. Was this God's decision or Man's?

We also discussed the Child abuse cover-ups. I told her that Presiding Overseers have repeatedly refused to give up any confessions that molesters have made to them in judicial committees when asked by the courts. I asked her why they would protect these perverts? She said that they had the legal right to. I asked her if she would shield a molester from punishment in this same way. I forget her exact answer but she reluctantly indicated no, she would have turned them in.

It's really unfortunate that my dear Mom is stuck in this stupid f#(%ing cult. It has put such an unnecessary strain on our once normal family. I've seen a energetic positive woman turn into a fearful, depressed, judgmental person. She is truly sad that her kids will die at Armageddon. She is even more depressed that there is now distance between her and her kids who are not JW's. All this lady wanted was to have a normal life with a happy family who got together and enjoyed themselves. I fondly remember her compensating for my harsh disinterested father by making Christmas, Thanksgiving and Birthdays special events. She made sure we played sports made friends and had an all around happy childhood. My bonehead father became a Witness largely because he could 'win' arguments with people and prove others 'wrong'. He dragged all of us into this mess. My Mom was the most resistant to it since it meant dismantling everything she found pleasure in. Eventually she capitulated and slowly replaced her friends and siblings with other JW's. Her view of the world became more dim and dark as time went on. The JW schedule wears her down, yet she knows she must comply or be viewed negatively in her only remaining social circle or be embarrassed or guilted by a talk about spiritually weak ones. She is trapped in this mess with no way out.

There have been times when we've all gotten together and she seems to forget the JW imposed barriers. She is the happiest person alive then. But soon enough she reverts back to the Borg mentality. It's like a parasite that has sickened our family. I have given up hope on any semblance of a normal relationship with her again. Just another casualty of the Watchtower family wrecking machine.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

When is the memorial anyway?

• blondie
    blondie

FreeWilly, thanks for sharing this with us. You gave it the college try. Your mom is just not ready to accept it. But I see the love coming through your words.

Blondie

When is the memorial anyway?
    Sunday April 4, after sundown.
  • LuckyNun
    LuckyNun

ugh, two meetings in one day? fuck that! or do they let you off for Sunday morning?

I may have to go to the nearest KH, and chug the wine when it comes around to me, saying I feel all tingly and I think I've just become anointed.

or...maybe I should swirl it in my mouth, and then spit it back in the glass, announce to all around me that it's "fruity and boisterous, with a hint of oak", and then ask for the next sample.

RAWK!!!!11!!

• Purple
    Purple

Oh you wicked, wicked person! That would mean the person next to you wouldn't have a taste either! Isn't that glass suppossed to be tasted by all present????????????? Heheheh after all if we are all chosen then we should all partake??? Well something like that anyway. I know the elders in our cong would buy a good bottle of red for the event and then drink it all after.

One question though. WHy do Xdubs worry about going to the memorial. If you have left the lie why still partake in part of the lie????? I dont understand it? If you have left, then leave. I know the first poster in the thread (forgot the name sorry!) was telling about why they would not go and try to get the mum to see the troof behind the troof and wasn't going but I am not referring to that. Why do Xdubs still go?

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I think they usually cancel the meeting if its on the same day as the Memorial.

What a damnable joke. My mom keeps bugging me about it too, but I have sufficiently put up enough evidence that she at least leaves me alone - because she knows that if she brings it up I will start "talking like an apostate".

It would be really funny to enter Witness mythology by partaking and then pretending to CHOKE almost to death on the emblems! They'd pass that story around as the apostate who partook unworthily and DIED!

CZAR

• boa
    boa

As for the title, not for me and my family. Only made the decision in the last few days to not go (first time to my knowledge in 34 yrs), but not a shred of guilt. I'm about 1/2 way through Gentile Times Reconsidered and don't see an ounce of spirit direction to this org in the face of such deception. How could any amount of 'good' make up for such garbage like the 607 NON-DATE.

Hope all works out in the end for you and your Mom and family. My mom is about the only one I have hope for some day being released from wt bondage on my side of the family - siggghhh.

boa

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

free willy... This is the most dispicable thing about the Org is the way they tear apart families and I am so sorry for you and any others who have been through this garbage. My family is in bits and pieces now and it is just all of one sibling sister left in the Org. Two of her older children are out now , so has no communication with them and it is tearing apart my elderly non-JW father to see what is happening to his grandchildren because of their mother's shunning of them. There are 2 other younger children left and we are all worried about them too . When the first older one left I thought she might die--she grieved so hard. she told me she couldn't take losing any more chidren and then the second one left. After that I think I saw a part of her die. Sometimes I feel like we are all players in an invasion of the body snatchers type movie. I know she is very protective of her last 2 children now and I worry about the effect this will have on them. I already see some signs of their anxiety. I am worried about them, I am worried about my sis being shut down, I am worried about the older 2 who will never be JWs again because of various and understandable reasons (they are grieving too because they have lost their mother). I am sad for my elderly father who will never have another family dinner with all of us together- and now he is understandably opposed to the JW religion because of all of this. I am worried too because I am "fading" and don't want to upset my sis any more, but that is unavoidable at this point. During the last assembly I attended a year and a half ago a 16 year old girl was baptized from my then cong. Her mother was there by the pool weeping. I gave her a hug and asked her if she was crying tears of joy. she said "No, she was just really worried and scared bacause of what happened to her first daughter after she was baptized." (Her first daughter was DFd and now she has gone off the deep end and has no more communication with her mother and father and sister and brother) I know this family really loved this daughter too and continues to grieve for her. I hate this Org for sucking the souls out of people and tearing their families apart.

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

(((Freewilly)))))

A very eloquently written essay of what the org does to normal, loving families. I am so sorry.

FreeKat

• Joysome
    Joysome

I haven't even gotten an invite. :(

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit